Main Menu

Laser cutting

Started by Shifty, June 23, 2008, 05:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shifty

Doth anyone know where I can get some Laser cutting done for a reasonable price or at all for that matter.

Am trying to get some exhaust flanges made so I can finally get my exhaust sorted.

would like to get them made out of approximately 5mm thick mild so I can weld to them (cant weld stainless).

Failing all the above just some 5mm thick stock that I can cut and grind myself would be useful, cant seem to get hold of any though?

All suggestion welcome, Thanks

55starchief

Email me the cad file and i will get it done at my engineering shop mate, he is already prototyping a shit load for me anyways, plus i need some 3D cad work doing ;) so its a fair swap

HardRockCamaro

Hmm, Si (Kid Rocks) dad has a laser cutting machine in his factory in Southend Essex.

There's probably someone closer though and you'd have to sweet talk Si into it as his dads place is normally pretty busy and they don't officially do one-off jobs...

philoldsmobile

does it have to be 5mm? we can CNC punch 4mm

Titsy

Quoting: philoldsmobile

F Body

Quoting: philoldsmobile

Or two times 2.5mm thick

Shifty

Not really sure 4m will do the job the existing flanges are 6mm+ but I thought that was a bit overkill. These are the flanges for the exhaust drawing I showed you at the weekend phill'o'.

Do you think 4mm would be robust enough to take the weight of an exhaust system for 50 miles every day on country roads that have pot holes you could get lost in?

nick69

I may need a little something made up if anyone would be so kind???

A heater control face plate as I cant get one for me car!!
Its a flat piece with 3 straight cut outs but would need some writing? Would Laser cutting be able to do small writing on a piece thats 5"x3"??

Ive come to an end trying to find one so looks like ive got to get one made

I can get a CAD drawing done if it I think if that helps at all?

EDGE

i dont think laser cutting can do very small lettering, you'd be way better having that cnc'd then you can usually go down to a very small typeface

55starchief

Quoting: Shifty

Do you think 4mm would be robust enough to take the weight of an exhaust system for 50 miles every day on country roads that have pot holes you could get lost in?

nope i would go with 6mm a original. Is the heat that deteermins the thicknes, to thin it will warp and loose the seal to the head

nick69

Quoting: EDGE
i dont think laser cutting can do very small lettering, you'd be way better having that cnc'd then you can usually go down to a very small typeface

I changed the design slightly today so wont need the writing on it. Just 4 rectangles cut out of a piece of Aluminium or Stainless.

Anyone on here help out??
My Boss is doing me a CAD drawing for it tmw.

nick69

Dont worry a mate is doing it for free.