Twin Clutch Gearboxes.

Started by F Body, July 17, 2008, 03:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Ever wondered how these modern twin clutch gearboxes work ?

Well wonder no more, yes the Porsche sales patter is slimy but the graphics are good

http://www.youtube.com/v/aSD0CKgk_NE\">http://www.youtube.com/v/aSD0CKgk_NE\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\">

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Gator

HardRockCamaro

Clever but:

1) What about the extra weight of all that stuff in terms of performance etc?

2) If it was developed for motorsport in the 80s why did it take 20-25 years to offer it in a road car?

3) If it's pre-selecting the next gear how does it know which I want.  If I'm going up through the box accelerating hard it makes sense it would suggest the next gear up, but what if I'm approaching a sharp bend and need to brake and downshift?    Does that catch it out and result in more delay as it was busy whacking it into the wrong gear?

4) How much is a(?) clutch for one of these things when it inevitably needs one?

5) Are the extra frictional losses?

Seems clever (lets face it, manual gearboxes and clutches really needed moving on technologically) but there must be some downsides (in addition to the obvious price premium).

Titsy

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
3) If it's pre-selecting the next gear how does it know which I want. If I'm going up through the box accelerating hard it makes sense it would suggest the next gear up, but what if I'm approaching a sharp bend and need to brake and downshift? Does that catch it out and result in more delay as it was busy whacking it into the wrong gear?

Easy, you look at what's happening to the throttle and brake.... makes it easy to predict what gear you will need next and change the selection before the shift is commanded as neccessary...

4) How much is a(?) clutch for one of these things when it inevitably needs one?

Who give a stuff how much it costs if you can afford to be driving around in a top end Porker...

EDGE

and here's the video on the launch control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvoXgpVNuU&NR=1\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvoXgpVNuU&NR=1

for when you absolutely positively need to fry both clutches all at once !!!

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Titsy
Who give a stuff how much it costs if you can afford to be driving around in a top end Porker...

Well I wouldn't mind knowing how much extra wedge is required to gain these hundredths of a second (or whatever).
And when you buy a used one outside warranty, you care.

Roadkill

Very clever.  Looks expensive.

Incursus

isn't Audi/Volkswagan already doing that?  or something similar....

EDGE

but there's no fun in that transmission at all...

now... if it had 2 clutch pedals and 2 gearsticks... THEN we'd be talking !!!!!

That would be WAY cooler..... accelerating flat out though 2nd while at the same time putting the second clutch in and selecting 3rd with the second stick... that would be awesome.....

Kenny

Quoting: Incursus
Audi/Volkswagan already doing that? or something similar

Yes.  From wiki:

Quoting: Wiki
As of late 2007, DCTs are sold mostly by Volkswagen Group under the brand names DSG Direct-Shift Gearbox (for Volkswagen, SEAT, Škoda and Bugatti) and S-Tronic (for Audi).

Porsche was suppose to bring one to the consumer market in 2006, but they're only just getting round to it.

Shifty

Cant see the picture but from memory Audi, VW, BMW, Bugati and Porsche all offer twin cluch DSG style gearboxes.

Pod

Quoting: EDGE
now... if it had 2 clutch pedals and 2 gearsticks...

I tried to buy a car that had three gear sticks.
Seller changed his mind though.

Titsy

Quoting: Pod
I tried to buy a car that had three gear sticks.
Seller changed his mind though.

One of the cars we took a ride in in Topeka, KS had one of those shifters... Totally cool

Pod

Roadkill

F Body

Quoting: Shifty
from memory Audi, VW, BMW, Bugati and Porsche all offer twin cluch DSG style gearboxes.

Well , Audi - VW - Bentley - Bugati - Porsche & Seat are all basically the same company

That's why they are wet clutches, I remember seeing something about the Audi TT version being designed for 250K miles