Originality is difficult.

Started by F Body, August 12, 2008, 12:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

I always try & keep my Camaro as original as possible, if it means spending a bit more for genuine parts so be it.
However I had a problem with one of the side repeater indicators coming loose, further investigation revealed that the plastic holding clip had broken
So I've spent the last few weeks trying to source a replacement, unusually for GM it appears to be a non standard GM part which isn't fitted to any other GM vehicle
I can only assume that with the limited Euro spec build numbers, they just went to some European parts supplier ( for the "E" marked lens )  and bought enough for the production run
Haven't been able to source anything exactly the same, so I've had to repair the existing one :

Had to remove the wheel arch liner to reach the plug after it fell off :

Tried lots of different ways of holding it in, but it's so far up inside the wing you can't really get your hand around it, never mind a cable tie etc :

Not the best of photo's, but what I done is hinged the broken tab at the top and filled the gap with a good quality silicone, this should provide enough spring/hold once refitted :

When I tried to re-fit it, the bulb holder lugs broke off, it would appear that the plastic hasn't aged very well. So I had to apoxy glue it on !

Just about to go back down to the garage to see if it fits securely & works

Impressed with my first long test of the new Costco jack, the Camaro has be suspended on it for over 5 days now and the handle hasn't moved a millimeter

F Body

Quoting: F Body
Not the best of photo's,

This one is a bit clearer :

F Body

Just about to go back down to the garage to see if it fits securely & works

It was a tight fit and I was scared that other small tab would break off, but the jobs a goodun

Now all I have to do is touch up the underseal where I had the wheel arch liner off, it's a dirty job but it has to be done !

philoldsmobile

Martyn, you have far too much time on your hands..

nice job though.

Cunning Plan

Your new jack has some dirt on it

Nice job though, making good what once was broked..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

F Body

Quoting: philoldsmobile
Martyn, you have far too much time on your hands..

I wish I left for work at 05:30am and left at 4:30pm and I'm on holiday

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Your new jack has some dirt on it

It's got quite a bit of underseal on it now

Flip Martian

Good job! I know where to come...er I mean, what to do if mine goes...

F Body

Quoting: Flip Martian
Good job! I know where to come...er I mean, what to do if mine goes...

Every time I look at your car i think "spares"

Roadkill

the Camaro has be suspended on it for over 5 days now

Of course, that's not what Jacks are for is it, Mr Health and Saftey ?

Flip Martian

Every time I look at your car i think "spares"

!!!!

You keep your hands off! Painted alloys indeed....

Big Mouse

Silly boy, you should have called me. BTW, I found some more spares in the back of the garage last week

F Body

Quoting: Big Mouse
I found some more spares in the back of the garage last week

Well seeing I have more of your original car than you now have,  what ya got left ?