Top Gear - Muscle Cars

Started by HardRockCamaro, November 10, 2008, 07:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

Surprised there isn't a thread about this already...

So what did people think?

I thought the Vette looked great, much better than most pictures have shown it, and the Challenger also looked far better than I expected (on a side note, one drove past my house this morning, exact same colour as the one on the show.  Does look tasty in real life).
The Caddy was the wrong colour imho, very old fashioned looking. not the big portion of menacing it looks in the pics I've seen where it was black or gun metal coloured.  Having said that, it looked like a real sleeper in that colour...

When they gave the Caddy to Cpt Slow I thought that was the end for it and initially that seemed the case but no...  Would have liked to have seen it strut its stuff more though.

Hands up who thinks Clarkson was behnd the wheel for the power sliding shots?  No-one?  Me neither...

Speaking of the vette, it sounded the best of the three and it seems savage in acceleration, the flippin drivers seat was bending under the force!

Titsy

However they have no idea what constitutes a muscle car.... only the Challenger was a musle car and that is only because of it's heritage... The Caddy was a full size and the 'vette is a sports car... noobs

Motorama

I thought it was quite funny, made a change to see American cars get a good review on the program.

I like the Caddy because it's a sleeper and a contender against the M5 and equivalent Merc. The Vette is awsome except for the silly see throoght hood.

I like the Chally too but i think in 2 or 3 years time the novelty may have worn off as it has with the new Mustang. Will Chally's be dirt cheap secondhand as well in 3 years time

Cunning Plan

Challenger was awesome.

What a factual topgear that was!

That I50 road they drove along was pretty impressive..

Good Clarkson didnt appologise.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

I missed this as we were at the pub at the time i think... Ian & Vicky have it on Sky+ tho.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Titsy

Quoting: FUBAR
I missed this as we were at the pub in RK's garage being suffercated by Ian's gasious discharges at the time i think...

FUBAR

I stand corrected

Should have been indoors watching the Telly instead

ianjpage

Quoting: Titsy

I missed this as we were at the pub in RK's garage being suffercated by Ian's gasious discharges at the time i think...

Ian & Vicky have it on Sky+ tho.

Yup indeed we do - wanna watch it somepoint then ? ?

FUBAR

Inbetween everything else I have to do atm yeah, that would be cool.

FUBAR

Quoting: ianjpage
as we were at the pub in RK's garage

Blimey! I must have missed that, the new extension is bigger than I thought!

ianjpage

Inbetween everything else I have to do atm yeah, that would be cool.

lol no probs mate - seems everyone is busy busy lately!!

Incursus

Quoting: Motorama
Will Chally's be dirt cheap secondhand as well in 3 years time

Roadkill

Didn't see the program but the reviews the Yank cars got just plain shocked the guys over on the (mainly U.S) Modded Caddy forum !

art b

yep saw that was impressed by the cars;
the chally looks ace
the vette is awesome 650 ish bhp ,
and the caddy looked fugly in red but looks better in darker colours....looks quick enough though....

clarkson did look like he enjoyed the vette....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Jo

The challenger mmmmmm I want one looked nice, sounded nice and looked as scary as hell going round corners

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Motorama
I thought it was quite funny, made a change to see American cars get a good review on the program.

I like the Caddy because it's a sleeper and a contender against the M5 and equivalent Merc. The Vette is awsome except for the silly see throoght hood.

I like the Chally too but i think in 2 or 3 years time the novelty may have worn off as it has with the new Mustang. Will Chally's be dirt cheap secondhand as well in 3 years time

pretty much agree with all of that..

for the CTS-V to be a serious sales contender, it must be able to live up to merc / BMW standards, looks like its getting there..

they did mention they still weren't built quite as well as they'd like, but it was in the context of a minor note, rather than a serious flaw. for dodge especially, thats a BIG improvement.

HardRockCamaro

Remember the CTS-V sells for about 30k in the USA.  If the M5 is a *lot* more expensive then I'd forgive some drop in plastics quality/finish as the car handle as well and goes as quickly.

I've never understood Top Gear or magazines obsession with comparing like for like cars based on engine performance.  Surely what matters is price as that's how most compare stuff?  eg What saloon can I get for 30k?

philoldsmobile

i dunno, people compare cars against their rivals, someone shopping for an M5 will look at an AMG merc, simply because it the closest rival, not because its a similar price

Caddilac would do better to up the quality and details (although they already have to an extent), and pitch it closer to the M5 in price rather than to pitch it a lot cheaper, after all, the last thing caddy want is to develop a 'cheap and nasty' image..

HardRockCamaro