My driving Year 2008.

Started by F Body, December 20, 2008, 10:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

It's not been much of a year really

Camaro total miles this year 1,251 miles.
Petrol cost = £209.03.
Average mpg = 27.32mpg.
Total Camaro cost = £1,298.56 = £1.03 per mile

Chinese Beatch - Sold

Honda NT650 total miles this year = 1,934 miles
Petrol cost ( not a lot averages around 70 mpg )
Total cost = approx £500.

Fiat Panda Diesel, total miles this year = 16,124 miles
Diesel cost = Too bloody much !
Average mpg has dropped to 46mpg from 52mpg, because I fitted
wider tyres with a lot more grip

So plans for next year

Very very nearly bought another bike 2 weeks ago, but I have two
money issues:

One - don't know how long I have a job for

Two - half of our mortgage endowment matures in July 09, we have been
saving to pay the shortfall, but with the market and interest rate crashes
we could end up paying back the total amount. If that happens the only way to raise the extra money will be to sell the Camaro. I'd prefer to sell the Panda but by the middle of next year with 50k on the clock it's going to be worth jack

Flip Martian

Ouch. I think next year will be tight for many of us. Fingers crossed you don't have to sell anything...

philoldsmobile

not good..

i know of a chinese takeaway that might buy your kids...

ianjpage

Mmm not much driving the fun car at all then

hope it doesn't come to you having to sell your baby...

philoldsmobile

not keeping track of exact miles or fuel costs, because i'd probably run off crying, but...

mustang; - not driven any significant distance in 2008, maybe 200 miles total milage 49,900 miles

fell ill in january, finally diagnosed with terminal engine death took 6 months but thanks to MKB (and no thanks at all to the 'pros') resurrected and sold

Alfa no1: - did about 2000 miles in it total milage 109,000

always a gamble, coming from a salvage company with no history and signs of a dubious past.

major service including cam bet and balance belt
both rear suspension arms
both front upper suspension arms
clutch failure with knackered flywheel
dropped valve on M1, resulting in split bore and holed piston

Lexsux - did about 1000 miles in it total miage 109,000

allegedly the most reliable brand according to the RAC guy, so went out and bought one

total failure to warm up due to stuck thermostat, or more likely removed thermostat due to knackered fan viscous coupling
corroded dizzy cap and HT leads, major and expensive PITA to replace, took several attempts to get right leads, and running on 5 for a while
starter motor stuck, new one over £300!!

so much for jap reliability!

Alfa no2 (the green one) - done about 8200 miles so far this year, total milage 78,300

air con compressor failed (with plenty of warning) used one sourced, and cheap fix, rad replaced as a precautionary measure at same time as it was looking shabby, total cost under £300 inc parts

thermostat failed fully open, had upper suspension arms changed as well, as both were getting baggy and creaky, total cost of job, including parts under £300

thats all. alfa no2 has been the most reliable car this year, the overall average of 23mpg is a bit heavy, especially as thats super unleaded. It has used about 2.5 liters of oil in 8000 miles (very good for this type of high revving V6) and always been absolutely sublime to drive.

Incursus

Plymouth Duster - Went no where and earned me £880 when I sold her

Probably done about 8000 mile in the Mustang been pretty reliable.

Ignition coil went - less than £100 to replace.
Seal around the thermostat perished - about £2 thanks to Carl
though I did replace the thermostat as well £5.50 (which I still owe Philo)

Bought some bits in the states brake pads etc but not needed to fit them yet -- can't remember how much.

New headlamps around £200 but that wasn't a reliability issue just cosmetic surgery

average fuel around 25mpg. avg £80 p/m

Driving the coolest car in the company car park - Priceless  

Fieldy

Citroen C2 -

tax - £30

full service - £130

Total of roughly 23,000 miles at an average of 64MPG,

Oldsmobile Toronado -

Barely moved off the drive, sold now for decent cash

EDGE

what did you get for the trouble truffle dude? And who did you sell it to? I found a bunch if parts for it in the garage!

HardRockCamaro

Camaro did 600 miles in spring this year, no trouble at all.

Cadillac has probably done 8,000 or so miles this year, no trouble although the power steering pump/belt now squeaks when cold until it warms up.  Front bumper needs a respray after being scraped once by a biker and once by me...

Roadkill

Started the year by selling the '85 Eldo . . . I paid £500 for it, spent £96 on servicing and sold it for £850 (IIRC).

The extra cash covered the tax, MoT  and insurance costs for the duration of my ownership, too.

Quids in !

The '83 Camaro has done zero miles this year . . . . I sold the engine and transmission, in january, for over £1,300 !!!!

While effectively gaining a LT1 and T56 for about £100.

That made me £1,200 up on the year until I continued spending $$$$ on various parts.

Now the Camaro owes me big time but the huge wedge of cash I got for the 305ci and T5 really limited the damage !

The '58 Caddy hasn't really moved this year . . . she was put to bed with a suspected "bottom end" issue and will remain retired until the Camaro is finished.

Total cost this year is £128 in fully-comp insurance.

I brought a 125cc Jinlun to help me pass my test.  I paid £690 for her and spent just under £100 on improvements.

Serviced her twice, tax and MoT'ed her then part/ex her for the '92 Eldo.

Not a terrible year, really - started with two Caddies and a Chevy - ended with two Caddies and a Chevy !