You have been warned

Started by Big Mouse, January 14, 2009, 04:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mouse

Got sent this this morning but had already had it on the local crimestoppers alert

Hi All

Just to make you all aware Credit & Debit Cards at the Shell Garage  at Paulerspury on the Towcester Road , the BP garage in Stacey Bushes  the garage at Roade and the garage on the A508 between junction 15a and ROADE are being cloned. The transactions are trying to be made in South Africa, Canada .

This is fact as it has happened to colleagues here at work and friends.

So just be careful with your card's and details as it is probably happening at other garages also probably best to have cash handy  .

kind regards

Diane Kent

Information Centre Manager, Advisory Services

Roadkill

Quoting: Big Mouse
the BP garage in Stacey Bushes

Yikes !

I was only there yesterday filling up.

EDGE

i NEVER use a card at a gas station for just this reason

F Body

Quoting: EDGE

The only one I use a card in is the local self service card operated Asda station

Titsy

Quoting: Big Mouse
Diane Kent

That's my Aunt...

FUBAR

Quoting: F Body
The only one I use a card in is the local self service card operated Asda station

Thats where the fraudsters go to buy petrol / test cards before sticking massive Balance Transfers on them
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

art b

that was on the local radio yesterday....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

What do you use? Cash? Where do you get the cash from?

Or is there particually something about fuel stations that make them an easy place to clone cards that I dont know about?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Or is there particually something about fuel stations that make them an easy place to clone cards that I dont know about?

Its seems to be so yes, they seem to be particularly suceptible to Card cloning, Its probably a combination of the fact that everyone is normally in a hurry & therefore don't check things as well as they might in normal stores, the fact that people nearly always pay by card because they don't keep the quantity of cash on them required for buying fuel, they seem to have a uncanny nack of being able to hide pinhole cameras in them, and, I hate to say it, but their typical "Staff Demographic" doesn't help either.

F Body

Quoting: FUBAR
but their typical "Staff Demographic" doesn't help either.

Added to fact that the Petrol Companies and Police don't give a stuff

Told them the next day that mine had been cloned and the Police said " Talk to your bank " and BP didn't want to know

So unless it's the local self service Asda it's cash only

EDGE

Quoting: Cunning Plan
What do you use? Cash? Where do you get the cash from?

i always use cash.. even if im caught out, id rather put in £3 of fuel then drive to a bank, draw some money out and fill up that way.  Yes its more hassle but it is better in my mind.

Petrol stations seem to be the worst or cloning cards, staff demographic is one way to put it but i saw a tv show a few years back that said most of these petrol stations are franchised.  Organised crime pays for the franchise and stick some poor schmuck there to clone the cards...

Cunning Plan

i always use cash.. even if im caught out, id rather put in £3 of fuel then drive to a bank, draw some money out and fill up that way. Yes its more hassle but it is better in my mind.

Petrol stations seem to be the worst or cloning cards, staff demographic is one way to put it but i saw a tv show a few years back that said most of these petrol stations are franchised. Organised crime pays for the franchise and stick some poor schmuck there to clone the cards...

Okay that makes sense
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

most of these petrol stations are franchised. Organised crime pays for the franchise and stick some poor schmuck there to clone the

yep, thats basically the deal in some cases, its basically a Maccy D's (another place I will never EVER use a card) for petrol.