lets tax the motorist some more...

Started by art b, March 09, 2009, 03:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Now, on a dual carriageway, it could be 70,60,50,40 or even 30mph.

Yeah like the daul carriageway that runs from M1 J11 all the way to central Dunstable is now 30mph after being 40mph for at least the last 15 years.

Yes there are plenty of Camera's but the worst thing is the lack of 30mph signs

It's blantant intrapment

FUBAR

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Maybe I'm being paranoid but I recon there's another reason they want the cameras...

I can agree with that..

the sort of reason that if this was the US they might justify the needs under the "Patriot Act"...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

Quoting: FUBAR
the sort of reason that if this was the US they might justify the needs under the "Patriot Act"...

Well when ever somebody goes missing the Police magically produce a record of their vehicle movements over the last week

Basically every vehicle in the UK is being tracked 24/7 on most major routes and the details stored on a Police database

Titsy

Quoting: FUBAR
I can agree with that..

Big Brother is watching you...

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

i've got nothing to hide, so it really doesn't bother me that much.

cameras should be limited to built up areas and black spots though, but given the very ample warning of their presence, you dont really have any grounds to complain if caught - in fact it proves they do their job, if you couldn't see the warnings, you probably weren't paying ample attention for the speed you were going.

back in the days when they were hidden it was different, but lets be honest, you cant miss them now.

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: philoldsmobile
i've got nothing to hide, so it really doesn't bother me that much.

That's incredibly naive fella.

philoldsmobile

why? i have absolutely nothing to hide, so i dont really care if the government do know where i shop and where i go..

F Body

why? i have absolutely nothing to hide, so i dont really care if the government do know where i shop and where i go..

But and it's a big but..................

How secure is that information and how accurate is it

Sorry Mr Harrison your car was recorded at the scene of the crime - I sentence you to 10 years in jail !

Gator

Quoting: F Body
But and it's a big but..................

How secure is that information and how accurate is it  

Sorry Mr Harrison your car was recorded at the scene of the crime - I sentence you to 10 years in jail !

he would be protesting his innocence and people with his outlook would be condeming him coz there are no excuses for breaking the law and if you are caught you must be guilty

sorry Piglet yer just plain wrong

Big Mouse

Quoting: F Body
The great crisis vanished when millions of horses were replaced by motor vehicles.
Even more important, however, was the existence of the price mechanism. The problems described earlier meant that the price of horse-drawn transport rose steadily as the cost of feeding and housing horses increased.
This created strong incentives for people to find alternatives, todays equivalent is the price of oil, with the alternative being alternative fuel sources

'cough' plagiarised 'cough'  

Cunning Plan

back in the days when they were hidden it was different, but lets be honest, you cant miss them now.

I read on Piston-Heads (sorry no link) that they do not have to put a sign or even mark the speed camera in bright yellow anymore - it was some kind of regulation that has now expired. Sorry the guy posted a link and its in one of the thousand pages on this same subject on PH and I read it at work and dont want to try and find it again..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

F Body

Quoting: Cunning Plan
I read on Piston-Heads (sorry no link) that they do not have to put a sign or even mark the speed camera in bright yellow anymore

The only reason they were highlighted was so the local authority could keep the income raised, it was the Governments half hearted attempt to prove that speed camera's were only there for safety purposes

F Body

Quoting: Big Mouse
'cough' plagiarised 'cough'

Well I'd say plagiarizing for the win quoted

Although I can't find the actual quote, I think it was originally from a book

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~pgordon/blog/2007/08/eric-morris-writes-about-from-horse.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~pgordon/blog/2007/08/eric-morris-writes-about-from-horse.html

ianjpage

Quoting: Amey
(Although I did have to laugh on one section of the A34. They have some roadworks and have average speed cameras. In one direction they do have 2 of them, but in the other there is only one. How can that work??)

Ahh you need to look more carefully there are 2 but one of them is quite well hidden!!