Previous topic - Next topic

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

3 less refugees to worry about

Gator

bout time well done americans again

art b

lets hope that pirate hunting season has started with a vengance...

there nothing but cowards...maybe a chance encounter with some navy seals will put em off....

Fieldy

This is worrying, my old man works for Maersk on a ship basically exactly like that one, only bigger.

He does that run a few times a year, he actually gets 'danger pay' for it

Big Mouse

Why don't ship owners just bolt half a dozen .50 cals on board and pay for a couple of 'minders' to operate them.

If someone gets within half a mile of the ship and doesn't introduce themselves nicely? then its bye bye time and say hello to the bottom of the sea for us

HardRockCamaro

How do they even get onto the boat?

I've been right alongside one of those container ships in a small boat and it's a long way up!!!

FUBAR

Quoting: HardRockCamaro

They put on the Rocket powered Jet Pants and junior birdman their way up!!

thing is tho, the crews are not legally allowed to retaliate unless fired at.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Gator

Quoting: FUBAR
thing is tho, the crews are not legally allowed to retaliate unless fired at.

and who is gonna believe the pirates didnt and it didnt stop the yanks

Fieldy

One of the issues is that the pirates pull up alongside on speed boats and the container ships go a hell of alot slower....

HardRockCamaro

Well yeah, but seriously, a container ship is lile...

way up there!

How do they get onto it?

Gator

aint they got ladders built into the hull

HardRockCamaro

Here's a video I took of one from a powerboat (no I'm not a pirate!) in Miami Harbour, matey whizzing past on the jetski is barely tall enough to reach up to the top of the red waterline...  And obviously the hull is, well, hull shaped, so curves out to the top...

http://www.youtube.com/v/bgNwv2RtWNI\">http://www.youtube.com/v/bgNwv2RtWNI\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\">

I'm not saying it's not possible (they seem to have no difficulty with it), or even easy, I'm just curious as to how they approach and get on board...

Fieldy

ok, well, this is how.....

they simply use ropes and ladders.

They aim for the low freeboard ships (the height of the size of the ship from the waters level to the deck).

The ship they last aimed for was a small, food aid carrying ship. Maresk (well, all container companies) will only use a large ship, like the one Andy has posted, when neccesarry, obviously. For this, it would be too difficult to do a quick capture. Yes, they are still in danger, but just simply not as much as they stick to the wider shipping lanes and don't hug the coastlines as much.

Fieldy

This is the ship my dad is chief on, it is the largest ship on the books (as far as i am aware), and houses the largest working engine in the world (as far as i am aware) ..... As a capture, it would be up there with the big boys, the diesel on it alone is worth it.... But the risks are too high.

(remember each of those containers is the size of a large HGV)

-----------------------------------------------------------

IMO number: 9299927
   1st name: MAHLER STAR
   flag / nationality: Liberia

owner: Blue Star Ship Managment GmbH
   operator: Maersk
   completion year: 2006

engine type: 12RT-flex96C
   power output (KW): 68.400
   maximum speed (Kn): 24,5

overall length (m): 335,00
   overall beam (m): 42,80
   maximum draught (m): 14,00

maximum TEU capacity: 8452
   container capacity at 14t (TEU): 6105
   reefer containers (TEU): 701

deadweight (ton): 97.612
   gross tonnage (ton): 94.724
   handling gear: None

HardRockCamaro

Now that's, erm, large!!!!

Awesome job, travelling the world on one of those...

Fieldy

Awesome job, travelling the world on one of those...

He's worked damn hard dude, had a monthly paycheck from the same company (or who-ever owned it at the time lol) for about 32 years

Pros, he's now chief, top of his game...

Con, having to go to sea for about 4 month stints

Try capturing that ship! the captain is a big scots man, my old man is 6'4, 20 stone.....

art b

feck being at sea, for 4 months...

sounds worse than working at GM...

Andy

I know its not good for people like your dad, but our company is profiting from it.

We make parts for defence companies in Japan and they're being called in by the UN to send their ships out there to patrol the lanes. Because of this they're buying up any spares they can get.

Still not a good place to be right now. Wasn't there a story that some of these pirates tried boarding a US Navy ship and got what for?

Fieldy

Quoting: Andy
I know its not good for people like your dad

At the end of the day mate, it's his choice, no-one is forcing him.... But i'm glad someone is profiting from it instead of the pirates.

F Body

Quoting: art b
feck being at sea, for 4 months...

sounds worse than working at GM...

GM is for life

That is one big ship

Titsy

Quoting: F Body
GM is for life

They believe in rather than redundancy then...

Gator

Quoting: F Body
GM is for life  

your not institutionalized or anything then