Rob's 4th gen fuel rail covers

Started by Rob, May 07, 2009, 04:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

OK, I probably should have started this thread some time ago when I first decided I was gonna look into fitting fuel rail covers to the Trans Am.

I know they're not everyones cup of tea, and to be honest I wasn't sure if they were for me or not.

I searched around on various sites to see what was actually available off the shelf and it would appear that nobody specifically makes them but most are inclined to use those as fitted to a C5 Corvette with minor modifications......

I decided early on that this was not for me.  I wanted something a little more substantial that actually covered a little more of the engine.

So more searching and I came accross these....on Ebay Australia

Made specifically for the Monaro the guy was a bit concerned when I told him what I was intending on fitting them to, but with the usual Aussie manor sold me them anyway in a nice white colour matched finish.

I knew I was gonna have to modify whatever I bought so these duly arrived on my doorstep some weeks later.......

Modified Pics to follow.......

Roadkill

Can't see both the pictures but - what do they do - or are they purely pimpin' ?

F Body

I've looked in the past at both these types of products

The first type either has the cut outs as shown above or you have to dismantle the fuel system

The second type eliminates the first problems but looks rather bulbous

There is a third option of a one peice cover but I've not seen one advertised for the LS1 ?

I'll be really interested to see how your s turn out

F Body

Can't see the transmission dip stick in the second picture

Do they clear the pipe

Rob

Quoting: F Body
Can't see the transmission dip stick in the second picture

Monaro's do not have one in the same position.

Rob

but looks rather bulbous

This is not so evident I don't think on the F-body as the engine is set back much further whereas the Monaro being a saloon has it right forward to increase cabin size.

Rob

Given that the only opening on these that actually lined up was the oil filler cap then quite a bit of cutting and shaping had to be done.

The power steering reservoir is located further to the right than that of the Monaro and as Martin pointed out there is no hole for the Transmission tube or the throttle cable.

So after all that this is what I've ended up with.......

Rob

OK. Got them pre-fitted today.  Had to make some risers from the inlet manifold studs using M6 threaded bar.  With lots of on and off to get them lined up here's the before and after......

They still need taking off again for another couple coats of paint but I am quite pleased with the result.

F Body

I'm not sure

It's a lot of effort to go to just so you don't have to clean the engine

Rob

I'm not sure  

It's a lot of effort to go to just so you don't have to clean the engine

Something worth thinking about when you get too old to bend right over to polish it......

F Body

This is the only way to spend a Tuesday night

Wednesday Night - Before.....Have you painted yours fluorescent Orange :

After :

HardRockCamaro

I'm not a fan of covers and the first pics you posted of them on a Monaro were not nice, far too bulbous.

However, in white, they make the engine of yours look much better as to be honest I've never been keen on the raw look of the LS1 due to all the pipes and junk they put on it.  And they don't look as bulbous as the engine is as you say, further back.

I would however consider getting the LS1 writing and raised "bars" done in black to break it up a bit.

Looks good though!

ianjpage

Hmm not sure on them - it is nice that they cover up some of the pipes, injection stuff as makes it look tidyer though...

Rob

Have you painted yours fluorescent Orange

just kept rusting up so sprayed it with the only heat paint I had. It will be redone black.

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
I would however consider getting the LS1 writing and raised "bars" done in black to break it up a bit.

Did think about that but don't have a contrasting colour theme on the car so have left them for now.

F Body

Quoting: Rob
Have you painted yours fluorescent Orange

just kept rusting up so sprayed it with the only heat paint I had. It will be redone black.

I've got some matt black or silver high temp paint if your stuck