Boat Tail Truck.

Started by F Body, November 10, 2009, 07:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Alas not based on a Buick Rivera but exactly as it say's
The boat tail, a tapering protrusion mounted on the rear of a truck, leads to fuel savings of 7.5 percent

Can't see it catching on

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091105121037.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091105121037.htm

ianjpage

nice .. make long lorries even longer!!!

F Body

Quoting: ianjpage
nice .. make long lorries even longer!!!

Yes but being in Stealth & Hasty , I thought it could be part of a crumple zone

FUBAR

why don't they just taper the end of the trailer & then fit a smaller 'wing' on the back.

I know it would reduce load capacity slightly but that can;t be a huge problem surely?...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

Quoting: FUBAR

why don't they just taper the end of the trailer & then fit a smaller 'wing' on the back.

exactly - makes more sense that adding a huge extension (ooo err) to the rear door (!!!!)

EDGE

ive seen a few taperd trailers now, i think M&S use them.

fitting the diagonal panel goingfrom the cab roof up tp the trailers roof make a HUGE difference too...

for reference, the best angle of fall off is comparable to that on a 5 door sierra hatch back!

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
I know it would reduce load capacity slightly but that can;t be a huge problem surely?...

Reducing the load capacity / design of the container / chassis would - literally - be the end of the world for haulage companies.  That would never happen.

Roadkill

Quoting: EDGE
ive seen a few taperd trailers now, i think M&S use them.

Hmm.  Are you referring to the lower portion being tapered ?

They had to introduce those from memory because the ramps into one of their London depots kept ripping the lower sections of their trailers.

M&S also widely use double-decker trailers, too.

EDGE

the top was curved like an arch, only very shallow... it may just be a lid stuck on top of the trailer to gain the shape, the inside my be unchanged, i dont know...

Cunning Plan

the top was curved like an arch, only very shallow... it may just be a lid stuck on top of the trailer to gain the shape, the inside my be unchanged, i dont know...

Yah Ive seen those ones too..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

Don't recall seeing those ones . . . still - it's been a couple of years since I've been on an M&S site . . . .

Incursus

Quoting: Cunning Plan

FUBAR

Quoting: Incursus
Quoting: Cunning Plan

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

the top was curved like an arch, only very shallow..

Like this

EDGE

F Body