Toyota - Big OOPs

Started by Fieldy, February 04, 2010, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incursus

Yeah...glad its not one of our parts

Roadkill

That's what you get (and deserve) for driving a Prius !

Tossers !

Gator

dont want to speak ill of the dead but what a bunch of muppets wtf didnt they just put the bloody thing in neutral and stop sorry but if you know that little about the workings of a vehicle you shouldnt be operating one

art b

gonna cost em £1.26 billion ...

or someone....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

HardRockCamaro

The problem is that people panic when this sort of thing happens and it doesn't enter their head to knock it into neutral (especially if an auto).

This is a *big* deal as a similar case of "unintended acceleration" almost drove Audi completely out of the US market in the mid 80's.  Even today many Americans would never buy an Audi due to concerns over safety.

Toyota were continuing to sell cars with the defect with the intention of recalling them once they had figured out a fix, the US government stopped them from selling cars that were known to be dangerous so production and sales were halted for a week.  This is also bad for their image over there, having to be told to stop selling a product they known is potentially dangerous.

Shares dropped 14% I think, and 14% of Toyota is a lot of money...

Gator

thats kind of the point they shouldnt be driving if they cannot control the vehicle in an emergency

HardRockCamaro

There are a lot of people who shouldn't be driving imho.  It's scary how poor most people's driving really is...

Flip Martian

But that's a natural consequence of cars being made easier to drive I guess. Would be a good idea for everyone driving to have to take lessons in how to handle emergencies. Trouble is cars are generally a lot more safe and reliable these days so people rarely come across serious issues...

Gator

but if a kid runs out in front of you wouldnt you at least apply the brakes if not how could you pass a test so if the accelerator jams wouldnt you apply the brakes ? its something drivers dont even think about

i just dont get it those people in the the states had enough time and lack of panic to make a phone call but couldnt stand on the brakes which on their own should overcome the throttle

one of the mysteries of life i guess

philoldsmobile

does seem rather odd, doesn't it?

Andy

There were several people saying on Five Live that the drive-by-wire thing actually means that if the accelerator is depressed, the brake pedal won't do anything.

Also, if you think about a 1 tonne vehicle, doing +90mph at full throttle, the brakes will more than likely, fade, wear out, or catch fire before stopping you. When you emergency stop or brake you're not still putting force into turning the wheels (being hard on the gas), you're just stopping kinetic energy in the car.

It's probably one of those situations that would throw a few drivers into blind panic, not being in control and not having any obvious way of stopping.

All you can say is it has well and truly ruined Toyota's name in the US.

Fieldy

Quoting: Andy
Also, if you think about a 1 tonne vehicle, doing +90mph at full throttle, the brakes will more than likely, fade, wear out, or catch fire before stopping you. When you emergency stop or brake you're not still putting force into turning the wheels (being hard on the gas), you're just stopping kinetic energy in the car.

Yeah, but dipping the clutch would solve that

HardRockCamaro

The problem is that we're:

A) sitting here with all the time in the world to think about it
B) We're car people so can figure out dipping the clutch etc.

Most people are stupid, have no mechanical knowledge, panic when the car appears to have a mind of its own and so on.

In the case of the mat slipping I assume it could also interfere with the brake pedal?