Farewell my dear IROC, you will be greatly missed...

Started by HardRockCamaro, March 01, 2010, 04:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

As per the title, the IROC has a new owner as of this evening!

A friend of a guy I work with, it won't be going far as he lives just 4 or 5 miles away...

In fact it may not be moving at all as he will likely be taking over my rented garage.

Hopefully he will be a good custodian of it, he's a car enthusiast who works on his own Capri etc but he's always wanted an American car and he loves the 80's so the IROC was perfect for him.
He's been reading up on them so knows what to look for (plus I pointed out the usual problems, headliner, struts, pulldown motor etc and how mine has none of them) and he's well pleased with it.

As sorry as I am to see it go it was nice to see the look on his face when he sat in it for the first time having handed over the keys.  He was completely speechless and just sat there in disbelief that he finally had one of his dream cars.  Reminds me of when I first bought it.  

I lost a little money over what I paid for it, only due to the fact it needs 4 new tyres and an MOT and tax, so I subtracted the cost of those off and let him have it.  Allowing for those bits I haven't lost any money on it so I'm happy.

Although as he said "I feel I'm stealing it from you at this price!".

Gator

a sad day youve had that ever since ive known you

Motorama

HardRockCamaro

Indeed, my first American car and very definitely "me" as I love the 80s styling...

But I always intended to spend a lot of money on a full resto-mod job on it and to be honest my financial interests have shifted to other areas, not so much to the Jeep per se, but just "in general".

As I haven't driven it for nearly 2 years and knew it needed money spending on it soon, which I didn't want to spend, the time was right to move it on.

I didn't want it to languish in the garage and just fall into disrepair, it's too good for that.  Hopefully the new owner will take good care of it and spend on it when required.

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Motorama
are you replacing it with anything else?

No, the Jeep is everything I need at the moment.
It's full of character and I really enjoy driving it.  Plus I get to drive a fun vehicle every day.  It's also a soft top for summer and is still a vehicle I can work on myself.  And of course, it's American, *very* American in fact.

One lot of insurance, tax and no garage rental is also extra money in my pocket for spending on it or on whatever else I choose.

If I was to buy another American car, it would be another Cadillac I think...  

FUBAR

'Tis a sad day for sure... I know how much you like these cars, hopefully the new owner will look after it, by the sounds of it he will.

I can't wait for this damn road salt to finally F-off so i can dig the mine out of hiding.

there's a couple of jobs i want to do on it this year, and plenty of driving
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Incursus

Quoting: Roadkill
Where are all the third gens going ??

On the plus side now they are becoming rare I'm starting to like them more

F Body

Where are all the third gens going ??

Mostly to the scrap yard

With 80's car's being 30 years old now and without good standard rust proofing, they don't stand much of a chance

F Body

First the Caddy and now the IROC, you can't even blame a wife & kids

FUBAR

Only 2 left now...

edit: Hmm why doesn't the roadkill smiley have a transparent background... will have to fix that
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

I'll have to create a more accurate Smiley, too.

Andy

Roadkill

art b

I'll have to create a more accurate Smiley with the wheels off and on stands, too.

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Fieldy

Quoting: Gator
a sad day youve had that ever since ive known you