iphone - opera browser app...

Started by Fieldy, April 13, 2010, 03:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldy

Seriously good so far, i keep my 3g off most of the time and rarely use my wi-fi, even on 2g the opera web browser os fast.
Also includes multi-tab browsing and speed dial start page... And its free

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Fieldy
i keep my 3g off

Whhyyyy?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

Quoting: Cunning Plan

i keep my 3g off

Whhyyyy?

multi-tab browsing and speed dial start page

Is there anything the iphone DOES do?

Opera is good though I used to have it on my XDA

Also tried it on the Android a couple of months ago but its not as good as the built in one.

Fieldy

Whhyyyy?

Because you get just as good call quality with 2g, only you don't suffer from the issues of the phone 'losing' signal whilst swapping between 2g and 3g. Also, battery life is hugely better. I only turn it on if I am using the net on the go.

Quoting: Incursus
Is there anything the iphone DOES do?  

Well, Safari does it, but Opera just seems to do it better here, and 3 times as quick

Incursus

Does it support Flash and the pinch gesture controls? Android version doesn't.  Not noticeably faster either.

Gator

pinch gesture controls

w...t...f

Incursus

Quoting: Gator

pinch gesture controls

w...t...f

Don't worry about it old man.  Just stick to your yoghurt pots and string.

Cunning Plan

Does it support Flash and the pinch gesture controls? Android version doesn't. Not noticeably faster either.

2.1 does?

Incursus

Does it support Flash and the pinch gesture controls? Android version doesn't. Not noticeably faster either.

2.1 does?

1.5 does.  Opera doesn't

Cunning Plan

1.5 does. Opera doesn't

Roger.

What phone do you have?

F Body

Does it support Flash and the pinch gesture controls?

Nearest smilie we have  and

Incursus

What phone do you have?

HTC Hero.  Heard a rumour that we are getting an update to 2.1 sometime this month.
Don't know if it will happen, especially with the release of the HTC Desire and Legend, or what it will bring to the phone.

Fieldy

yeah

Incursus

yeah

Cool, I'll recommend it too my friend

Cunning Plan

HTC Hero. Heard a rumour that we are getting an update to 2.1 sometime this month.
Don't know if it will happen, especially with the release of the HTC Desire and Legend, or what it will bring to the phone.

Im waiting for the sim-free Desire to arrive! Got one pre-ordered on play.com

I heard that Google are thinking of releasing updates as downloadable patches instead of being network dependent.

EDGE

Incursus

I heard that Google are thinking of releasing updates as downloadable patches instead of being network dependent.

yeah I think 2.1 onwards will get free over the air updates.

Andy

Have any of you lot seen the Keynote presentation for OS 4.0 on the iphone, touch and ipad?

They've sussed pretty much all the things that let the current OS down. Should be out summer this year.

HardRockCamaro

The only thing I really want in OS4.0 is multi tasking, and that's only so that any websites I'm logged into stay logged into when I switch apps, and I want my Skype to be able to take calls all the time.

Beyond that the iPhone is great as-is and to be honest I think they're going to find it harder and harder to give me a compelling reason to upgrade...

I'm very happy to see that flash is not present and never will be.  The sooner that nasty technology dies the better and a lack of support in important devices like the iPhone and the iPad will hopefully kill it off as web developers wont dare depends on it...

Fieldy

Quoting: EDGE
it supprorts flash ???

Isn't flash what Sky news etc use?

Cunning Plan

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
The only thing I really want in OS4.0 is multi tasking, and that's only so that any websites I'm logged into stay logged into when I switch apps, and I want my Skype to be able to take calls all the time

The lack of multitasking and a excellent camera with LED flash are the only reasons I have gone for Android and the Desire rather than the iPhone. Otherwise I would of had a white 8 gig

Incursus

Looks a thousand time better as well imo.

Didn't realise it had a Flash, mine doesn't.  Not that the quality of the camera had any bearing on my decision

I assume the proximity sensor is what they are using for the volume lower on lift feature?

Went to one of our company world shows, in Japan a couple of years back and they were showing off touch screens with added proximity gesture controls.  Was a simple demonstration but still very cool!

HardRockCamaro

To be honest while some camera phones are better than others, the 3GS seems about as good as the 3megapixel SE's of yesteryear which were excellent.  This is mainly due to having autofocus like they did.  And I don't want more pixels in a cameraphone. no way.  The noise in the images is terrible.

As for the camera flash, I'd want xenon not LED, and even then to be honest all cameraphone flash pictures are truly awful, so while you can at least take a picture with them it's not one I'd be even vaguely happy with.

As for flash video, that will die off with HTML5.  Go to Vimeo or certain YouTube Hd vids and switch to the HTML5 player if your browser supports it.  Watch the CPU usage drop in half compared to flash...