Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Thanks for the links - but -

Quoting: Rob
Might be worth a try.......

No joy - T'was an IROC

Quoting: Rob
......or this guy is breaking a whole heap of F-body's

Oddly enough only one third-gen and that was a F'Bird.

Shall keep looking.  There's no major rush at the mo, anyway . . .

Roadkill

To get you up to speed . . . .

Work in the engine bay has been the task recently . . . Titsy has been making up a dummy loom to start planning the real thing.

Various connectors and other bits I already have but It's kinda waiting for me to choose my gauges, now . . . .

Today's update :

I've been fairly busy doing all manner of things today but managed to dedicate a couple of hours to the Camaro, too . . . .

The next major jobs, for me, are the brake and fuel lines . . .

Now the brake lines still require the line-lock finalising so these are on hold for now but the fuel line is a priority so I started on that . . .

I finished rebuilding the Holley regulator, complete with new brass fittings, and re-mounted in it's previous position on the bulkhead.

Next I fitted the new 90* fuel banjo to the Carb (this directs the fuel line back toward the bulkhead instead of randomly pointing it over the valve covers . . ).

I had previously brought some ally fuel line from Jegs a while back and decided, in order to minimise rubber hose, that I'd also use this between the regulator and carb - using only short pieces of rubber fuel hose to join the "butted-up" hose-to-fuel fittings.

With the help of a standard pipe cutter and some careful bending and re-bending this is where we are at the moment . . . note the first of two fuel filters mounted below the regulator - the next will be mounted before the pump at the back of the car.

I even gave the ally 'line a quick Autosol-up to make it look prettier . . .

EDIT - I also ordered the new, shorter, Serp-belt . . . should be here within the next couple of weeks.

F Body

Gotta luv the detail in all the jubilee clips lining up

Quoting: Roadkill
I even gave the ally 'line a quick Autosol-up to make it look prettier . .

I think your turning into me

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
Gotta luv the detail in all the jubilee clips lining up

This is one thing I insist on . . . I also try to hide the screw as best I can - something impossible on the ones near the carb as underneath there's a clamp for the choke . . . the others are nicely hidden away, though.

I think your turning into me

Whoa, whoa . . steady on.

VIPER

Mikalor do some great SS clips....

Its all i use on the Viper

Roadkill

Quoting: VIPER
Malkilor

Just googled that and came up with nowt.

Titsy

Roadkill

Cool, ta.  Will bare in mind.

EDIT

I'm currently after P-Clips at the moment . . . is there anywhere local that sells them ??

Roadkill

I'm currently after P-Clips at the moment . . . is there anywhere local that sells them ??

Just ordered a selection of rubber-over zinc-plated metal P-Clips.

Also ordered some 4mm vacuum hose for when I come to re-do the line to the dizzy . . . plus I also needed some for the cruise control wotsit for the Eldo and, thankfully, it's the same size !

So I brought  10-foot of the stuff.

VIPER

SORRY dodgey spelling.....

I use the high pressure ones because they look good...

Roadkill

Mini-Update . . . .

Have got the Valve Covers back from PhilO and they're much better . . . not mirror finish but pretty damn close.

I gave the oil filler cap a good polish last night, too.

Am currently bidding on material to make up the appropriate gaskets for them . . .

Last night I brought a billet ally PCV breather plug from the states, just £9, t'was a bargain.

I'll be chasing the serp belt today, too . . .

Just ordered a selection of rubber-over zinc-plated metal P-Clips.

Also ordered some 4mm vacuum hose for when I come to re-do the line to the dizzy . . .

These have arrived and will do the job perfectly.

Unfortunately the next purchases on the list aren't quite as cheap . . . .  

Roadkill

I'm gradually working through the list of minor bits required for the'Maro . . . now this leaves three major purchases left before I can get this sucker rollin'.

Firstly - and I'm told most importantly - Gauges.

This has been Titsy's domain and he's come up with these babies :

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Kit-auto_number-714.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Kit-auto_number-714.htm

A snip at $690 - for a limited time only.

Secondly - Headers . . . I have a choice - kind of.

Firstly Spohn do a S/S set, for $800 but are unable, it seems, to confirm if they'll clear my transmission or not.

So I spoke to Hooker (huh-huh).  They've confirmed that the 2210's are the way to go - especially with the LT1 . . . available H/T black at $510 or Ceramic for $740.

Turdly . . . Propshaft . . .

This isn't critical as I still have the old one - however the one I'm eyeballing is a Spohn H/D at $360

Nearly there.

I'd better buy a new battery, too . . . . .

F Body

Titsy's domain and he's come up with these babies :

Like those

available H/T black at $510 or Ceramic for $740.

A lot of Wonga for the ceramic one's but the paint won't flake off like the HT one's

FUBAR

Have got the Valve Covers back from PhilO and they're much better . . . not mirror finish but pretty damn close.

No access to the polisher for months eh Phillis!!

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
No access to the polisher for months eh Phillis!!

He did them *cough* by hand.

F Body

He did them *cough* by hand.

You do realize that if you don't keep all these shiney parts polished they are going to look even worse than left unpolished

Trust me I've polished things you can only dream of

Roadkill

all these shiney parts

I've only got three separate shiny parts ! (2 valve covers and an alternator).

I've been very clever about that !

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

Well I have to say that I really don't like engine compartments to shiney

Examples :

That blue 71 Vette you see at all the shows with everything chrome plated

Those plastic mirror panels you can be to fit inside your hood

The chrome plastic cable sleeeves the Chav boys use

Sometimes less is more

Rocky

The spohn headers arnt supposed to fit but some people have got them on.
Just dont go with headman headers i dont recommend them.
There were some on ebay.uk for your motor for a good price in stainless never used the guys though.

F Body

Titsy

I'll do some reading... You would need to make your own dash panel though as the Autometer speedo and tach will not fit the one on eBay...

FYI, the speedhut set with shiftlight,  warning lights, and sensors worked out at $606.70

Titsy

Will most likely need access to your fuel level sender to check if the fuel gauge will work...

Update

From the description it looks like you would need a replacement fuel level sender: http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/3262/10002/-1\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/3262/10002/-1 but I would need to check the one you have to be sure...

Further Update

Everything else looks fine, so the only issues are the fuel level sender and the dash panel...

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy
I would need to check the one you have to be sure...

O.K . . . .

As in take it out or just get to the top ?

Quoting: Titsy
FYI, the speedhut set with shiftlight, warning lights, and sensors worked out at $606.70

Yeah ?

I must've gone to the wrong link, then.