Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titsy

Quoting: Roadkill
Need to get the Gauge issue sorted !  

I'm really, really liking this . . .

Looks good to me... do it...

Roadkill

Quoting: Jamieg285
Red is what you want.

Quoting: F Body
Red LED's was the 80's

We were talking about batteries at that point, Martyn.

F Body

We were talking about batteries at that point, Martyn

Well I try to keep up

Jamieg285

Red is what you want.

Quoting: F Body
Red LED's was the 80's

We were talking about batteries at that point, Martyn.

Since when has the actual topic in discussion been a factor in the following replies?

TM©

F Body

Since when has the actual topic in discussion been a factor in the following replies?

Tis the MKB way

FUBAR

Hmm, i'm not keen on the digital dash TBH... i'd much prefer gauges to look at, not my car tho.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

I still can't make up my mind . . . . I don't mind digital temp/fuel/alt etc . . . But really do prefer a manual tach . . .

Red is what you want.

Actually that's cool because the Red's tend to be cheaper.

Roadkill

I thought I'd start composing a shopping list of stuff STILL required to get this b!tch back a' rollin'.

It's scary . . . .

Gauges -

I'm gonna go for needle gauges as I honestly don't think I'd be happy with digital-type ones, long-term.

So.

Autometer, Designer Black :

Kit # 1402 - $379.99
Tach # 1490 - $109.99
Fuel # 1415 - $49.99

There's other gauges I need - but this'll get me going . . . .

Gauge face to fit the above . . . .

$55.00 - from eBay U.S

P/S Hoses . . . . . . . .still an unknown.

Headers . . . . . . . . . still an unknown.

Battery - Optima Red . . . . . £125

Battery tray - Billet . . . . . . $69.99

Prop shaft . . . . . . . Spohn - $360.00

Sway Bar brackets . . Spohn - $75.00 (I made-up a set but I'm not happy with them)

Dizzy hold-down clamp (silly, I know, but I haven't got one !) - $12

Coolant level sensor . . . . . . . $50ish - am looking into.

F Body

thought I'd start composing a shopping list of stuff STILL required to get this b!tch back a' rollin'.

It's scary .

Better put the rent up

Titsy

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rocky

Are you gettng rid of your old dials im looking for a 80mph dash for a customers car?

Roadkill

Quoting: Rocky
Are you gettng rid of your old dials im looking for a 80mph dash for a customers car?

Yep, they'll be going (they don't work with the speedo input)  . . . . They're the MPH one side, KPH the other side kind . . .

Roadkill

Gauge face to fit the above . . . .

$55.00 - from eBay U.S

Brought.

Dizzy hold-down clamp (silly, I know, but I haven't got one !) - $12

Brought.  Although I'm having trouble paypal'ing the guy.

Next on the list is the Coolant level sensor, some washers to seal the oil cooler, the battery and then the gauges.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1035874,parttype,2184\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1035874,parttype,2184

Roadkill

Currently trying to buy various parts but most sellers block you if you're outside the U.S.

Bleedin' cretins !

Needless to say a batch of emails have been sent !

Roadkill

Currently trying to buy various parts but most sellers block you if you're outside the U.S.

Bleedin' cretins !

Needless to say a batch of emails have been sent !

I give up ! - It's like they don't want my money !

I have managed to sort some stuff out, though . . . full list to be posted tomorrow . . . . .

Roadkill

Shed loads of stuff ordered today . . . details to follow . . . .

MINI-UPDATE

I've been having a minor issue with the Hurst Shifter for the T56 . . . the shifter wasn't returning to the N (3-4) position from 5-6 but was fine from 1-2 . . .

I suspected a missing spring (basically they install two each side but you can remove one to acheive a girly soft return) and surely enough one side had the secondary spring missing.

A quick, secure and simple piece of engineering later and plenty of grease (it looked very dry in there) and it now returns sharply and smoothly.

Nice.

VIPER

I Have a brand new Hurst for a Viper here in the box......

Roadkill

I loved the Hurst on my old T5 . . . they've stopped making them for the (GM) T56 so it took a bit of looking to find a new-old-stock one.

I'm glad I didn't settle for the cheaper alternative.

VIPER

I got the B&M on mine as i prefer the lower shift point..

Great work .....

ianjpage

Roadkill

UPDATE !

Got a few bits done, yesterday . . . Titsy managed to re-connect the fuel sender then I set him to work on some Eldo-gremlins.

Me and Ian spent the whole day on our backs (Ooo-er) first filling the diff up with oil (significant as this is the first fluid to be put back in at this point) we then fitted the "front-to-back" S/S brake line (pre-bent from inline tube) and connected the axle lines to the coupling block and then that to the new line.

Afterwards, after deciding the fuel pump was in a daft position, we moved it closer the tank, in front of the axle, cutting out about 5' of fuel hose !

Also, in the process of fitting the pump, fitted the second of two fuel filters.

Next (now almost dark) we started fitting the custom aluminium fuel line (this was from the coil) and every bend and contour had to be formed.

However it went perfectly and followed the brake lines cock-on until travelling under the trans tunnel and up into the engine bay to the regulator.

Neither end of the fuel line is connected at the moment . . . I need to acquire more clips - so that's the next job.
After that it's fitting the prop loop then, I think, she can be dropped off of the axle stands.

Thanks to Titsy for assistance, Chris for Go-fer and tea boy duties and mega thanks to Ian for his help under the Camaro !

Pictures to follow.

F Body