Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

Quoting: Roadkill
Not sure on the Hazzard - Either that or flash both Indicator warning lights ? - Does my car even have Hazzards ??? - I can't remember !

Mine does.  The direction leds are linked to the indicator lights anyway, so when the lights flash, so does the LED.

Oil Pressure light?

Roadkill

Quoting: Jamieg285
Oil Pressure light?

I've got a gauge for that . . . . I think

Titsy

They are here:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/warninglights.php\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/warninglights.php

You will have hazards, but there is no point in having a dedicated light at the indicator lights will both be flashing...

Lets do this Chinese Style:

1x No.2
2x No.3
1x No.5

Do you have rear fogs?
You dummied the oil level sensor didn't you?

Roadkill

Yeah, I'd already found them.

Quoting: Titsy
You will have hazards, but there is no point in having a dedicated light at the indicator lights will both be flashing...

Yeah, that's preferrable - I just wan't sure if that needed more wiring or not.

Lets do this Chinese Style:

1x No.2
2x No.3
1x No.5

Correct.

Do you have rear fogs?

No, never been fitted, AFAIK.

You dummied the oil level sensor didn't you?

Yes . . . Albeit in hindsight I could've left it . . . . nevermind . . .

Roadkill

UPDATE - Kinda . . .

I've now done various tests with the crackle paint . . . it's difficult stuff to use and NOT for newbies !

I've got three definate results - one done at room temp, one on top of a radiator at about 25*C and one in the oven at 40*C.

The first at room temp finished beautifully, quite glossy and very even pattern . . . unfortunately this is the furthest from what I want !

The second (on the rad) was PERFECT - alas, drying on top of a rad is just not predicable enough and I'm not convinced the results could be replicated for definate.

The final result (in the oven) was good, good pattern, good finish - the only issue being some patchi-ness on the finish - but this result can be improved as I suspect the patches may partly be caused by air-flow in the oven.

Roadkill

Also.

I've had the opportunity this morning to read up a little on stub-stacks and air flow.
I purchased a K&N stub-stack despite lack of real-world proof of flow / power gains.
It's not a perfect fit so I'll be dremelling it a little to achieve a perfect seal on top of the carb.

Further to my reading regarding air-flow I've now come across the exact air-cleaner lid I was originally looking for but couldn't find !!!

How irritating it that ?

I wanted an ally lid over all-else but eventually had to go for a flat-top filter lid to go upon my monster 4" K&N filter . . .

Then I found this :

. . From "Ram Air box" - not cheap at $28 + $20 P&P (to the states) BUT I'm convinced the gains will be worth it.

The other downside is that this air filter cover is 1" taller !

Getting back to the Stub-stack - I'm gonna ask PhilO to do alittle work on it (and hopefully the air cleaner base) to kind-of "mold" the two together.

Basically stub-stacks are supposed to go inside the air-cleaner base but I intend to sit the base on top of the stack (I need the clearance below) . . . this will create a bit of a "step" between the two (hence the work to reduce this) BUT as a plus it'll increase the clearances from the top of the 'Stack to the air-cleaner lid (which is where the standard 'Stack set-up apparently fails).

Does that make sense ?

ianjpage

Does that make sense ?

LOL Kinda - me ead hurts now lol.....nah perfect sense..

Jamieg285

I've got a gauge for that .

True, but if there's a problem, you'll notice a warning light instantly, but not a guage.

Makes sense to have both.

Roadkill

The stub-stack has now been hand-modified, by myself, and fits the Carb spot-on.  I've also filed off the mold inperfections to further smooth it down.

PhilO has also manged to put a flat on the top of it for air-cleaner base purchase.

Also PhilO has significantly reduced the neck of the air-cleaner base - reducing the overall height of the 'stack/cleaner assembly by about 16mm.

This also dramatically smoothes the flow into the carb and should work great with the air cleaner lid I'm eyeing up.

I'm currently "umming and ahhing" over whether to remove the choke mechanism entirely . . . If I do I'll slightly improve the air flow - If I don't I need to mess about fitting a choke cable - ie. holes in bulkhead / dashboard . . . .

Titsy

Dean,

What is your diff ration and current tyre size?

Also, remind me what year the Firebird was...?

Roadkill

diff ration

Ratio in 3.73:1

current tyre size?

235 60 R15's, I believe.

Titsy

Hmm... Looks like you could have got away with being a bit more radical with your rear end ratio...

Roadkill

Can you host that on the MKB - Photobucket's blocked at work and I've not got a plumbed-in PC at home.

Roadkill

93 ???  K-Reg ???

Titsy

Hmmm... Do you know if it was marked up as M28, M29, or MN6 as there are three early varients for early 4th gen f-body T-56's

Roadkill

Can you host that on the MKB - Photobucket's blocked at work and I've not got a plumbed-in PC at home.

Hmmm... Do you know if it was marked up as M28, M29, or MN6 as there are three early varients for early 4th gen f-body T-56's

Not a clue . . . . . Will the number be on the box itself or was that a build code ?

Titsy

Will the number be on the box itself or was that a build code ?

should be on both

Titsy

don't know how... but the RPM to road speeds were for the MN6, which is the least likely box it could be...

Roadkill

should be on both

Any ideas where ?

Titsy

OK, through a process of elimination and knowing what the ration in the axle from the Firebird is, we have the following:

F Body

You sure 2000rpm @67.2mph in 6th gear is correct

My 4L60E auto is 1,700rpm at 70mph and in my ignorance I thought the 6 speed manaul box would be lower ?

Titsy

Quoting: F Body

My 4L60E auto is 1,700rpm at 70mph and in my ignorance I thought the 6 speed manaul box would be lower ?

Your rear end ratio is 2.72 with 4th gear being 0.70, this gives a drive train ratio of 1.90

Dean has a rear end ratio of 3.73 with 6th gear being 0.62 this gives a drive train ratio of 2.31

So it's the rear end ratio that makes the difference.

FUBAR

Quoting: F Body

Thats probably going to be a nice cruising point, the IROC sits at about 2000RPM @ 70Mph.  Its a good speeding indicator, cos it makes a lot more noise above that.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

So.  I've gotta start looking for some 4.11:1 gears, then, eh ?

Jamieg285