Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Not much to report - was hoping to start getting the underside of the floor pan done at the rear today but just never got started.

Instead I started loosely assembling the new Moog and Spohn steering parts.
Decided that the bare metal Moog parts needed paint . . . . so they've been primered ready for top coat.

Roadkill

Mini update.

Got the Moog/Spohn steering components primered / painted and assembled with new Polythane boots.

Stripped out the Holley fuel pump and took some more bits off the underside ready for POR15'ing tomorrow.

Roadkill

Fairly successful day . . . .

After finishing the oil change on the Supra I got the under side at the rear thoroughly cleaned down.

Went from the rear bumper to about 12" along the trans tunnel (took fooking ages) then POR15'ed the same area.

Thanks to Graeme for assistance and the rest of my MKB posse for tea / bacon sarnies and moral support.

Also got the GM bump-stops refitted and the ST suspension sway bar adapter kit brackets on, too.

Also the fuel tank has now been de-crapped one last time and I've scrubbed it down and laid two coats of primer on it ready for finishing.  No pictures though as it was pitch black when I finished doing that !

ALL SYSTEMS GO FOR THE FUEL TANK AND AXLE RE-FIT NEXT WEEKEND !!

EDIT - And no, the blemishes under the POR15 isn't rust-scabs . . . it's splatters of factory-underseal.

FUBAR

Quoting: Roadkill
Need to purchase some 68mm (or similar) exhaust clamps to mimic the set-up on mine.

http://vertexnow.com/Verocious-Motorsports/Accuseal/AccuSeal-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Clamp\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://vertexnow.com/Verocious-Motorsports/Accuseal/AccuSeal-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Clamp

Those are the ones I bought, my Borla system came with Accuseal clamps which worked brilliantly so when I re-did the CAT & mid section of my exhaust recently I had to hunt around for the same clamps.   I refused to use U-Clamps because I think they're horrible and tried other low profile clamps but they didn't fit.  I felt I had to use low profile ones because of the inherant problems 3rd gens have with exhaust clearances.  The accuseals were the only ones I knew worked so paid to get the from across the pond.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

addendum...

the 3" ones comfortably fitted the OD of the slip-fit Cat Finlay sold me so will do slightly greater than the 3" advertised.

Finlay, if you read this, get them in stock, they're excellent!!

ianjpage

looks very nice on the underside of the maro mate - bet u juss wanna get out there now and start re-fitting things lol!!!

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
Those are the ones I bought . . .  

i DON'T NEED THEM FOR AN EXHAUST - i NEED THEM TO FIT THE SWAY BAR.

Edit - Bloody CAPS LOCK !

In other words I need the "old fashioned" style clamps.

FUBAR

i DON'T NEED THEM FOR AN EXHAUST - i NEED THEM TO FIT THE SWAY BAR.  

Aah yeah I remember now...

FUBAR

ianjpage

Roadkill

Began POR15'ing the fuel tank last night but it got fooking dark fooking quick.  Got most of it done, just some near-hidden parts along the seams to go-over again tonight.

Also need to sort out the tank straps, too . . . .

I'm gonna call my local supplier at lunch to sort the clamps for the sway bar.

I'll call JWR / USless Auto to see if they carry the flexi's I need as I haven't got time to wait for them to come over from the states . . .

Weather looks O.K for the weekend so still all systems go . . .

Roadkill

Fuel tank is now POR15'ed.  I did take a piccy but it was in fading light so was grainy.

I'm gonna call my local supplier at lunch to sort the clamps for the sway bar.

Done, they're getting them in for tomorrow.

I'll call JWR / USless Auto to see if they carry the flexi's I need as I haven't got time to wait for them to come over from the states . . .

Rang JWR . . they haven't got the SS lines . . . but have got stock ones . . .

55starchief

Rang JWR . . they haven't got the SS lines . . . but have got stock ones . . .

I would just order it from the states mate, not like you need the brakes at the moment

Titsy

what about Earl's at Silverstone... They just look up the template on the database and make them up...

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
I would just order it from the states mate, not like you need the brakes at the moment

True, but I wanted to at least get the rear flexi on the axle for simplicity while it's off the car . . .

Quoting: Titsy
what about Earl's at Silverstone... They just look up the template on the database and make them up...

Sounds perfect . . . how much is it likely to cost ???

I really need at least the rear one for Saturday, latest.

Roadkill

No go with Earls . . . They need a pattern.

Fuel tank straps have been straightened and will be scrubbed down . . . maybe painted.

The fuel tank :

ianjpage

Roadkill

I ordered a set of S/S flexi's from Spohn in the end (no surprise).

What can I say ? - They're helpful and even with the shipping - their prices p!ss all over what I'd pay here.

Roadkill

They're on their way via USPS express international.

All in, with shipping it works out at £59 . . . - That's what JWR wanted for stock ones . . . .

55starchief

Fingers corossed they should be here sat morning then. If i was you i wold get the tracking number and get ready to hassle parcelforce just incase it needs a VAT payment

Roadkill

i'VE ALREADY GOT THE TRACKING NUMBER.

Damn CAPS LOCK.

55starchief

Well just remember parcelforce now send a letter which wastes time so a quick phone call might save you 2 days

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Well just remember parcelforce now send a letter which wastes time so a quick phone call might save you 2 days

Only if there's duty due on the item, if not they attempt to deliver as usual.

Roadkill

Fuel tank is re-assembled.  The sender is back in  . . .  the wires have been cleaned, tidied and re-fitted.

The old reutrn pipes have been trimmed back and tidied up and I've cleaned the pressure valve thingy . . but still need to re-fit it.

Any rubber parts (pipe & seal) have been replaced with new and all clamps are also new.

Pic's to follow.