Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Jobs for tonight are to sort out fixings for tomorrow . . ie work out what new shiny bolt goes on which new shiny part.

That'll take a while 'cos there's loads of them !

Also I need to have a sort through to find the bolts for the tank straps . . . . . haven't seen those for a while . . .

Basically I want everything ready for an early as possible start tomorrow.

Incursus

Quoting: Roadkill
Basically I want everything ready for an early as possible start tomorrow.

Roadkill

ianjpage

good luck in getting it back together tomorrow mate

Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
good luck in getting it back together tomorrow mate

Me and Fubes should have a good 7 hours on it so I expect a major update this time tomorrow !

Fingers crossed . . . .

Ideally I could do with a third pair of hands for about an hour or so . . if anyone's free . . . To help steady the axle while it's bolted in.

philoldsmobile

bike MOT is at 3, might try and push it forward, can come over right after that..

be at yours about 4:15?

55starchief

depending what time edge manages to make it to mine i might come over to yours and leave the t/a for this weekend

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
be at yours about 4:15?

Probably be too late, mate.  Thanks, though.

philoldsmobile

like i said, i'll try and push MOT forward, they aren't doing many this time of year

ianjpage

Me and Fubes should have a good 7 hours on it so I expect a major update this time tomorrow !

sweet, i shall keep me eyes open fer pics and progress

Roadkill

UPDATE - PT 1

The mission - a simple one.  To get the following parts fitted back on to the Z28 today !

The freshly finished tank complete with new fittings, the rebuilt axle, (loose fit) torque arm, Tokico Shocks, upper and lower panhard (BMR and Spohn respectively), LCAs & rear sway bar (Spohn), Eibach Sportlines  and other bits and bobs.

And so we go . . .

Roadkill

ALL DONE ! - AND MORE.

As well as fitting all parts  above I also managed to get the Holley blue re-located to it's new home behind the fuel filler pipe (behind a stock dust / mud cover).

Also got the wheels back on which was nice.

The brakes shoes aren't in, nor are the parking brake cables in but that wasn't the plan anyway . . .

Next major job . . . . . A NEW 350ci !

55starchief

Looks good mate, im guessing its going to sit lower after the 1st time you move it.

ianjpage

sweeeet nice going mate looks soooo much better with the wheels back on at last

ianjpage

Next major job . . . . . A NEW 350ci !

Roadkill

SUMMARY :

Firstly, thanks to Fubar and Chris for assistance today.

Everything went pretty-much to plan.  All Spohn stuff bolted in as-stock with no hammering or faffing.

SPOHN

The Eibach's and Tokico's also went in as they should - I'll give them a final verdict after my first blat after she's finished but the quality and workmanship of both is obvious.

BMR.  Not overly happy.  Both parts I brought were well made but, firstly, the "Third Gen battery relocation tray" didn't fit my third gen.  Not at all.  Not without serious cutting / modification to the car and/or tray.
$100 I simply could've spent elsewhere.
Secondly.  The upper panhard arm.  It was 3mm short (on full adjustment of slotted holes).  Not terrible but I didn't really want to start bastardising the mount holes.  Nevermind.
Also, re the Panhard, the bolts supplied weren't correct . . the correct ones should taper, the ones supplied did not, meaning I had to increase the diameter of the rear holes in the chassis by a further 2mm.
Finally (!) the laser cut plates to relocate the bar slightly lower than stock weren't correct . . . at least, not for mine . . . BMR included a picture showing the fitting but they did not fit that way on mine . . . . no biggie, but irritating.

I've no intention at this stage of using BMR again . . . however, again, at this stage have no cause to complain about Spohn.

Spohn has been extremely helpful, with Steve prompt to reply to my emails . . . also all parts I've received have been to a very high standard.

ONWARDS !!!

Next job is to pull the tired 305ci and strip the front end to clear the way for the new K-Member.

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Looks good mate, im guessing its going to sit lower after the 1st time you move it.

Yup, she settled some what after I leant on her . . . I expected that . .

55starchief

Roadkill

55starchief

well that other kit is the same so i would think $1500 would be a good start

philoldsmobile

Whatcha reckon ? Turbos ain't my thang.

ever had a turbo car? that whoosh and surge of power is soooooo addictive..

one of the reason i love renault turbo's so much is because they dont disguise or hide the turbo noise, under acceleration its all whistles and hisses, then fluttering and cooing when you back off (sounds like a mutant pigeon trapped under the bonnet!)

my Renault turbo was helped by having a hybrid turbo, bigger intercooler and a load of other mods, and was making about 150bhp at hte front wheels, believe me, thats more than enough for a small front wheel drive hatchback

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

ever had a turbo car? that whoosh and surge of power is soooooo addictive..

hell yeah, once you have owned a turbo car nothing else feels quite the same, its the whole sensation both physical and emotional. Its the sound as much as the speed, get the sound right and it doesnt matter how fast your going

sixpack2639

Roadkill