Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
Did i miss that link or did you edit it while I was writing my reply

You must be going

Nah, I editted it.

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

CJ-IROCZ

Roadkill

Tonights job - not very glamourous I'm affraid - cleaning !

Well, preparing parts for shot-blasting and cleaning those which are not being blasted.

13 years of grease and crap.  Mmmm, yummy.

Still . . . it'll give me more bits to paint, soon.

Titsy

Still looking for the exploded view.... But from Meziere:

Disassembly
Remove factory water pump housing. Remove the six-bolt inspection cover. Clean the mounting surface on the housing
and the engine block. At this point the stock mechanical pump components must be removed from the housing (i.e.
impeller and bearing / seal assy.). Some technical experience is required. If you do not have access to the proper equipment
or feel unqualified, please consult an automotive machine shop for help in completing this part of the job.
Place the housing face up in the hydraulic press resting the gasket surface centered on the shaft. It is necessary to support
the back of the pump housing near the water neck to prevent it from rocking back when force is applied by the press. Use a
pin or dowel (about 5/16 x 1 ½) to press the bearing assembly out of the impeller and housing.

Assembly

Clean the bearing bore and install the supplied freeze plug from the inside of the pump use Permatex Form A Gasket or
Loctite Sleeve/Bearing retainer on the bore. You may choose to plug some of the factory water ports at this time. Now you
are ready to reinstall the pump housing, the Meziere pump can be mounted before or after the pump housing is installed on
the engine. Use recommended sealant on the factory-mounting gasket. No sealant is used on the o-ring seal grease or
Vaseline can be used to lubricate the o-ring to prevent pinching or twisting. Reuse the factory inspection cover bolts to
attach the Meziere pump (do not over tighten).

Titsy

Quoting: Titsy
Still looking for the exploded view....

Sorry RK, they don't have one an alldata...

philoldsmobile

ok, that makes sense.. i'll press it out and weld the redundant holes tomorrow..

philoldsmobile

F Body

Quoting: Titsy
Vaseline can be used to lubricate the o-ring to prevent pinching or twisting

What ever you say

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

Roadkill

TODAYS PROGRESS (while at work) :

I've been heavily researching ancillary arrangements / pulleys / set ups.

Basically I wanted to reposition the alternater . . but that doesn't look possible unless I lose the power steering pump - so I'll be keeping the stock set up, except for a underdrive main pulley.

The replacement pulley should be good for a few Bhp and as I'm running minimal electrical-demanding items will be ideal.

I've found the pulley I'm after and it'll be brought at the same time as the mini-starter.

Tonights jobs are to continue getting stuff prepared for 'blasting.

Also, I'm hoping PhilO will be bringing back my water pump housing, freshly capped off, ready for the Meziere to be fitted.

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Roadkill
Also, I'm hoping PhilO will be bringing back my water pump housing, freshly capped off, ready for the Meziere to be fitted.

indeed i will, as its sat here all finished right now!

Roadkill

Big upz to my home boy, PhilO, for sorting the water pump housing . . . I've now hammered home the blanking plug and it's been added to the 'blasting pile . . .

Spent the evening, as planned, cleaning and masking up parts for 'blasting . . now have a fair few bits to do.

The plan is to get it blasted and start painting it Friday . . . . PhilO has once more answered the challenge and is picking me up some more paint tomorrow.

More parts to add to the needed list :

Underdrive main pulley,
Oil filter,
Thermostat.

Titsy

Quoting: Roadkill
I've now hammered home the blanking plug and it's been added to the 'blasting pile . . .

I thought the water pump housing was aluminium....

Roadkill

Titsy

I thought sand blasting aluminium was a no no... I've been told it will go through like butter...

Roadkill

Nah, it's not that bad.

I plan to paint all the parts that are getting blasted so am doing it as a form of a) cleaning and b) providing good adhesion.

The ally parts aren't terribly dirty so a quick "going over" will be fine.

55starchief

Nope i have sandblasted aluminum wih no problems, i have had wheels and intakes done

philoldsmobile

yup, its quite possible.. media blasting (ironically made from old toilet seats, well the material anyway) or walnut shell is best, but sand or glass can be used.

Roadkill

Info dump :

12551589 Oil Filter Adapter gasket
10244495 Oil Filter Adapter o-ring
14090908 Oil cooler tube seals (2)

20-10108689  LT1 Cylinder Head Coolant Tube Seal (4 required)  
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=categories&pcid=227\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=categories&pcid=227

http://shbox.com/1/steam_pipe_seal.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://shbox.com/1/steam_pipe_seal.jpg
1993-1997 coolant steam pipe seals 10108689 $3.00  
1993-1997 T56 flywheel housing cover 10241153 $3.48

CJ-IROCZ

Would love to see a financial running total

55starchief

Roadkill

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
Would love to see a financial running total

I wouldn't !

I'm in denial.

Quoting: 55starchief
Any luck on the headers?

Yes and No.

I've sent Spohn another email but Holley have got back to me with their Hooker 2210's . . which'll fit but reduce ground clearance . . .