Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Quoting: Roadkill
Info dump :

12551589 Oil Filter Adapter gasket
10244495 Oil Filter Adapter o-ring
14090908 Oil cooler tube seals (2)

20-10108689 LT1 Cylinder Head Coolant Tube Seal (4 required)
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=categories&pcid=227\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=categories&pcid=227

http://shbox.com/1/steam_pipe_seal.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://shbox.com/1/steam_pipe_seal.jpg
1993-1997 coolant steam pipe seals 10108689 $3.00
1993-1997 T56 flywheel housing cover 10241153 $3.48

- For Carl.

UPDATE :

Got the stuff shot-blasted today - very happy bunny - a large box full of stuff done, on the spot - no waiting FOR A TENNER !

I gave the guy £15 and said I didn't want to rob him !

Anyway, It all survived just fine, no damage - I unmasked it then picked out a few bits, re-degreased them, masked them and went to town with the remaining paint I had.

PhilO will hopefully be bringing some more round soon so I can continue spraying tomorrow - PICS TO FOLLOW.

Roadkill

Some pictures . . . .

Stuff before blasting . . .

Stuff after blasting (all done for £15 !!) . . .

Another little job tonight - remove the water pump driveshaft . . .

Before :

After :

Painting in progress :

More tomorrow . . . . . .

Roadkill

Note.

PhilO had kindly polished the timing cover at his work after welding bungs in the old water pump and Optispark holes . . . Unfortunately the casting wasn't fine enough to support polishing and, after thinking about it, I decided it'd be better to paint it . . . . .

Thanks, yet again, to PhilO for tonight running me round some more paint so I can continue painting parts tomorrow.

Cheers, PhilO

philoldsmobile

no worries dude..

i did wonder about the timing cover, as the standard casting was crap, and there was a noticeable colour difference between the HE30 bar, and the cast cover, good call on painting it, i think i'd have done the same thing myself

Roadkill

T'is going well, but unfortunately (as most Fridays here go) we're rushed off of our feet today so am unlikely to get any painting done at work today (the cheek of it !).

Still - I got a head start yesterday and using a heat gun got the parts heated up nicely and the paint dried fast.

I hope to finish the rest of the "Blue" parts tonight, then crack on with the Black parts first thing tomorrow . . . .

Roadkill

Hmm, well that didn't go exactly to plan . . . .

Got home - enthusiastic and ready to paint.

It didn't go very well.  I had some bad runs in one bit (gonna have it blasted again) and another bit went a little crazed (must've been a little oil left on it).

As a result I subconsiously rushed the other bits - although they're fine - I ploughed through two cans in just an hour or so !

Result - still more to paint and no paint left.

Kinda feel like I'm wasting the evening . . . . . . . . .

Gator

hmmm its a top job mate we all have them enthusiasm days where it dont go how you was planning it too

Roadkill

Well.  

I had to do something !

So I just ordered two oil filters (a cheapie for the initial start-up period and a K&N for the first oil change) and a 160 degree 'stat.

Roadkill

Next on the shopping list is the valve covers . . . then, depending on money, the starter and front pulley from Jegs.

Then I'll have to wait 'til payday . . . . . . . .

Roadkill

Decided to not entirely waste the evening and went back outside to re-fit the timing cover . . . and then the main pulley mount - but not all the way as I need to check alignment with the other pulleys first.

I plan to "roll 'er over" and check the cam and lifters over today, paint the water pump, mount the water pump and mount the main bracket for the ancillaries.

F Body

Keep up the good work !

It's a pity G man ain't getting my Trans Am back on the road

ianjpage

Roadkill

Just been out and sprayed the idler pulley, black and water pump housing, blue.

All went well except a dodgy valve on the blue paint can meant most of it ended up on me or the floor !

Didn't have a choice, though, it had to be finished.

I've just degreased the oil cooler and am leaving it to air dry before painting it (black).

Later I need to grind a little bit off of the engine mounts to ensure a clean fit before spraying them, black, too.

If I get that done, along with the cam and lifter inspection, it should start looking like an engine again tomorrow . . . . . . .

Roadkill

It all went well today . . .

Here's the can that caused all the trouble.

The top of the block, inspected and cleaned - all O.K.

These two speak for themselves . . . . . THE REBUILD HAS BEGUN !!!

The motor looks daft as it is . . . But once the heads go back on it'll look better.

F Body

Management just said " One thing about Dean is that he always does a proper job "

Praise indeed

Coming Dear..............................

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

Quoting: F Body
" One thing about Dean is that he always does a proper job "

and one day he might actually finish one

ianjpage

Quoting: Incursus
Quoting: F Body
" One thing about Dean is that he always does a proper job "

LOL pot.....kettle.....

art b

Quoting: Incursus

thats a male thing ...so im told
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
LOL pot.....kettle.....

Indeed.  I may actually be the only MKB'er to actually, truly, finish a project, entirely, ever.

I think there's a lot of half-done cars out there.  

Quoting: art b
thats a male thing ...so im told

Definately.  

BUT I have resisted temptation to buy another . . . . at times the urge was almost irresistable . . . But i'm 100% committed to getting the Camaro done, now.

Then it's the Caddy . . . . . . . .

Incursus

Quoting: ianjpage
LOL pot.....kettle.....

Don't think I have any projects.  just scrap metal.

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Roadkill
Indeed. I may actually be the only MKB'er to actually, truly, finish a project, entirely, ever.

Roadkill

Well, some bad news . . I didn't win the auction for the one-off valves covers . . I'm gutted, TBH.
They were $220 B-I-N but when I first saw them I just didn't have the money available . . . when I did someone had bid and the B-I-N had dissappeared.

They went for $265 !

OH, well.

Anyway - Yesterdays progress :

The Oil cooler block was replaced along with the oil sensor.

All applicable sensor and alternator connectors were removed from the old Firebird loom. *

The Meziere water pump was tested. *

* Thanks Titsy.

Next job - the sump.  I'm opting to keep the stock pan for now . . until I commit to going forced induction I feel stock capacity is ample.

But it needs a paint.

Roadkill

Tonights mini-update.

As expected the original 305ci motor mounts (that I'm using for the LT1) needed a bit of "massaging" to fit over the after-market solid chassis mounts.
In fact one needed massaging, the other needed some semi-serious grinding to acheive the desired clearance.

All done, now though, and are going into work for me to spray on my breaks tomorrow - along with the oil pan that got a little attention tonight, too.

Other little jobs tonight were fitting a Hypertech 160* stat and refitting the stat housing.

The oil filters, roller-rockers and spring/retainers should all be on-route to Carl . . . .

Starter and Pulley will follow mid-week along with the (second-choice) valve covers.

ianjpage