Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

HardRockCamaro

Looking good, what a lot of man hours you guys have put in...

Nice one lads!

F Body

Looking good Lord RK

Is the engine going in built or short block ( header nightmares )  

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
Is the engine going in built or short block

It'll go in with the heads and intake on - that's why it's not in already - as I'm waiting on parts.

Quoting: F Body
( header nightmares )

I don't have header nightmares on my car, Martyn - there's plenty of room in there.

Roadkill

It's been over a week now so I thought I'd add a "update" - although nothing has been done my end.

I have sold aload of stuff on eBay which has enabled me to pay for some "urgent" last items and pay Carl for the shipping to here.

Hopefully Carl will be getting it shipped in the next couple of days.

The parts I have coming are :

New valve springs, locks and retainers,
Roller-rockers 1.6 ratio,
Ally under-drive main pulley,
2 x Oil filters (a cheapie one and an "expensive" one) and
Engine lift plate and oil pump primer.

Hopefully if all goes to plan I'll be back buying bits VERY soon () but for now I just have to wait . . . . .

Roadkill

Thought I'd get back "out there" and start doing something again . . . .

Spent about an hour cleaning the almost new calipers . . . . It's amazing how $hitty they get after only about 200 miles !

Of course, when I'm finished cleaning they'll be treated to paint.

Titsy

Quoting: Roadkill
Of course, when I'm finished cleaning they'll be treated to paint.

Where did you get the paint?

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy
Where did you get the paint?

I *think* it was JWR . . . I'm guessing I brought it when I brought the calipers . . as I've had it in the garage for a little while.
It was my intention to paint the calipers before they went on originally but time didn't allow . . .

Roadkill

After several interuptions and jollies out on the bike I finally got the calipers in paint - last night . . . the red, ironically, looks very similar to the Spohn red and hence the red I've used everywhere else on the car !

Result !

Then I finished off the evening by taking the fuel pressure regulator connections off, cleaning them/it (and its bracket) up and putting the connectors back on properly (it always leaked before).

This weekends' job - weather permitting - is to fit the calipers, new pads and new front flexi's - then refit the regulator.

The next job, however, is to go shopping !

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy

Good.  'Cos I brought 'em already !

Plus the valve covers . . . .

ianjpage

Titsy

Plus the valve covers . . .

Let's see...

sixpack2639

Hopefully Carl will be getting it shipped in the next couple of days.

Done!

Roadkill

Roadkill

No updates to post.  

I've been shopping instead . . . .

In the "second" wave of parts coming over there is :

GM performance Starter,

T56 Cable / connector set,

Canton Valve covers,

Edelbrock Performer,

90* Fuel banjo (for above),

Manual choke cable (for carb),

New Alternator.

That little lot comes to just under £500.

Then there's the new Flywheel and Clutch I'm eyeing up . . . . .

Roadkill

The final parts required . . . I think . . .

Driveshaft.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-GM-F-Body/Drivetrain/Extreme-Duty-Driveshafts/Extreme-Duty-Driveshaft-Stock-Transmission.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-GM-F-Body/Drivetrain/Extreme-Duty-Driveshafts/Extreme-Duty-Driveshaft-Stock-Transmission.html

Headers.  

Still looking into this . . . . .

Basically I've got two choices . . . Stainless works - my preferred option - (who only sell 82-92 Camaro headers through Spohn and Hawks) or Hooker Super Comps.

Hawks are VERY vague in their description and vague in their pricing then there's Spohn who have been surprisingly USELESS at responding to my emails.

Hooker, on the other hand responded quickly and gave me the answers I needed.

So It's looking like Hooker Ceramic Super Comps . . . .

Ground clearance is less but it's not like I'm running a full system or anything . . .

ianjpage

The final parts required . . . I think . .

Titsy

Titsy !

These what I want ?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30012/10002/-1/751310\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30012/10002/-1/751310|11535

Have the headers not got O2 fittings?

I'm not sure what you are doing with the rest of the system so I can't tell you if that's right or not...

In an injected setup you would have an O2 sensor on each downpipe so you can monitor each bank seperatly and trim the fueling accordingly... you quite often have one bank running leaner and one richer because of air flow differences in the induction system. But for your application where you can only adjust the fueling for the whole engine and your only looking to monitor what's happening you can only really use one sensor, so this would be best to go at the Y section. Either way it's best to have the sensor(s) as close to the engine as possible, but obviously you have to consider at what point in the blending it needs to be.

You will need a bung initially unless you're going to get a sensor from the off for seting up your carb. and you can buy the fittings as just a threaded dohnut to weld onto the pipe if that's easier...

Titsy

I have two lead for borrowing a sensor and meter to setup your carb.... Will let you know when I know more...

Roadkill

The headers DON'T come with O2 sensor fittings, hence the bolt-on reducers.

For the sake of an O2 sensor I'd probably be looking to install one imediately - Is there a particular type I need to go for ?

The set up is gonna be a short, dual system with a cross-over as close to the header collectors as possible (probably behind the gearbox).

Not sure about mufflers, yet.  If I do fit them they'll be of the straight-thru' variety.