New addition to the fleet . . . . . . (again) . . . . ! ! !

Started by Roadkill, May 31, 2010, 05:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Having been utterly impressed by Ian's Cherokee I decided to "have a look" see what kinda deals were there to be had.

Picked up this little thing yesterday from a guy just 2 miles down the road !!

It's a 4.0L H.O - Leather interior, Leccy windows, leccy mirrors, leccy seats, alarm etc . . . everything works except it needs a new headlight bulb (£5) and a new alternator (£20 - ebay).

Drives straight as a die, excellent brakes, excellent suspension, loads of power, no noises from the 'box or motor - all-in-all one of the best Cherokee's I've seen.

All she needs (except that mentioned above) is the leather feeding (again) and the bumper corners painting.

Have a look - Have a guess at how much I paid for her . . . .

Roadkill

art b

looks very tidy ... one of the best colours too  

£850...

just needs a towbar and the steering wheel moving over....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Jo

Roadkill

Quoting: art b
just needs a towbar

It's got one.

£850...

WAY off !

ianjpage

Ahh wondered when you get one lol - they are great lil run abouts

I reckon 200-300 quid?

EDGE

425 ??

Looks nice but people are scared of the fuel consumption. Fools.

Amey

ianjpage

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

very solid jeep. looks like the windscreen is recent, as it is completely scratch and chip free, its got an excellent body and virtualy zero rust. (one patch about hte size of yer thumb. very impressive for the money.

Incursus

HardRockCamaro

I *love* those Cherokees.  They look great and as long as you actually service them they last forever.
I've heard of rear diff issues but I suspect that is due to people never changing the diff fluid and given their low price never "wasting" money on servicing them either.  Plus some spirited traffic like gp's...

I would have guessed you paid about £500 - £600 for it as I was only looking at these things yesterday on ebay (funnily enough).  Absolute bargain.

Apparentley they made a diesel version but the heads on those are known for letting go.  The 4.0L is the one to have.  

Andy

That steering wheel really reminds me of the Hummer i drove. That is a hell of a lotta car for not a lotta money.

No doubt soon though you'll be paying the amount you paid for it yearly on road tax...

philoldsmobile

the diesel is nasty - its actually a ditch pump engine, and is poorly suited to automotive use.

HardRockCamaro

Well it is Italian...  

80s Range Rovers used their (VM) diesels and so do London cabs...

Roadkill

Quoting: Andy
No doubt soon though you'll be paying the amount you paid for it yearly on road tax...

It *should* fall into the older bracket so the same as any 1.4L or above . . .

HardRockCamaro

With no emissions info it falls into the top category of the old scheme (cars greater than 1599cc?)  which means £190/year.
If you want a 4x4 or any vehicle with even a vaguely decent sized engine then you want to go pre-2001 if tax cost bothers you.

I lucked out with the Wrangler in that it's a 1998, but if I had bought a newer one and had to pay £400 of road tax then so be it.  It works out as less than £17 a month extra.  That's the cost of a large pizza from Dominos.  I'd be happy to sacrifice something to cover the extra tax to be able to have the vehicle I want.

And when you only paid £350 for the vehicle who gives a stuff...  
People with newer (say 6 year old), lower tax cars will lose more than the extra you're paying in road tax in depreciation alone...  

art b

yup thats why i happily drive my 98, 2.5 tdi audi a6......

£1400  and it does 55mpg on a run......

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Andy

Just seen what my 2000 reg Mondy is costing me next year £205, £10 off what I bought it for! Oh well, if its the most expensive thing I spend on it in a year, i'll be happy!

Still ace ride buddy! You gonna pimp it, or leave as be?

Motorama

I love the old Cherokees, i've had loads of them and i'm looking for another one, pref a facelift model, now

They are an excellent go anywhere workhorse, bit juicy to run but at £350 thats a bargain

Roadkill

Quoting: Andy
You gonna pimp it, or leave as be?

I treated her to a new tax disc holder, a magic tree and some cheapie front floor mats.

That's the limit of the pimpin' . . . .

I'm not after another project - just a vehicle that'll haul crap when I need it, be a good shopping-getter and also be a good vehicle for Sammy to use, too.

The fact that it's tidy and apparently utterly solid is a bonus.

The only things I'll do is (eventually) re-spray the bumper-corners and there's a trim piece over the side roof-gutters that has lost most of it's paint which I'll just re-spray, also.

Cunning Plan

£1400 and it does 55mpg on a run......

That was such a good buy, great car..

Quoting: Roadkill
Picked up this little thing yesterday from a guy just 2 miles down the road !!

Nice dude, I'd have a diesel one
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Motorama

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Nice dude, I'd have a diesel one

i wouldnt, unless you like doing head gaskets