Mark Niver RIP

Started by philoldsmobile, July 13, 2010, 01:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

not well known over here, but what really struck me is the video. it really didn't look like a fatal accident.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/mark-niver-dies-during-a-run-at-the-nhra-northwest-nationals/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.dragzine.com/news/mark-niver-dies-during-a-run-at-the-nhra-northwest-nationals/

Rob

Bit dodgy how that catch net flipped the car the way it did......

Roadkill

See the guy casually standing on the right as he crashes - then just wander off in the other direction !!??

Seems like a helluvah lot of bad luck going on, there.

philoldsmobile

it just doesn't seem very violent for a fatal accident though, does it?

Andy

Shocking really, I reckon he would've survived if he'd just ran through the trap into the tyre wall.

Sad loss though, 20 years of racing and only won his first event 2 years ago.

Titsy

The catch net was the ultimate cause of death there. If a net is going to be used to should slow the car not bring it to an imediate stop. The g-force involved in bringing the car to a stop like that are just to much for the human body to cope with. the net should have been set-up to real out and give or to break and just slow the car...

ianjpage

wow that looks so gentle apart from the net..

Big Mouse

Its was structural failure on the part of the chassis; wall, net or tyres didn't make a difference, whatever he hit was going to bend it in half

Rob

Quoting: Big Mouse
Its was structural failure on the part of the chassis; wall, net or tyres didn't make a difference, whatever he hit was going to bend it in half

It does say that he handbuilt all his race cars.

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Rob
It does say that he handbuilt all his race cars.

everything would have to be NHRA certified though wouldn't it? don't you have to be a coded welder to build chassis?

Rob

Quoting: philoldsmobile
everything would have to be NHRA certified though wouldn't it? don't you have to be a coded welder to build chassis?

Don't get me wrong.  I wasn't saying that it would be inferior in any way, but the way that thing folded over........

Big Mouse

All NHRA competition vehicles have to be built to a very high standard. There are precise specs for each particular class and powerplant. Like an MOT, they are only as good as the last time they were checked.

The stresses that a TF or TM/TA chassis are subjected to is immense, metal gets fatigued...