Automatic Gearbox Help

Started by ianjpage, October 25, 2005, 06:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

Lets see if anyone here can help me with a problem i got!

(as some of you know) I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix and the box (a 4spd box) is slipping in 3rd gear - its in the garage at moment and my mate has asked is there any adjustment settings for the gearing bands?

Well i dont know, so the quesion is - is there are settings if so what are they???

Help!!!!!

55starchief

Have just pasted this on to the pontiaczone transmision section. Any replys will be posted here for you mate.

ianjpage

cheers mate - so far thats.....4 forums its on - lets hope 1 of them knows the ansa!!

F Body

Well I'll show my ignorance ahead of anyone else.
I thought that the bands were torqued up when the gearbox is built or rebuilt and that was that ?
What engine is it Ian , cos I got loads of links to gearbox sites from when I kept having the Camaro box leaking oil.

55starchief

first update

Tranny is going out... Common on 4T60e's... Put in some Lucas or GM tranny treatment and might get a few more months out of it.

Honda is Japanese for "Extremely Small." Civic is Japanese for "penis."

ianjpage

FB - its the grand prix LE - 3.1 V6 TRANSVERSE mounted (dunno if makes a diff)

Quoting: 55starchief
first update

Tranny is going out... Common on 4T60e's... Put in some Lucas or GM tranny treatment and might get a few more months out of it.

Noooooo didn't wanna here that hopefully the new fliter, fluid and service kit should elongate its life a bit then !

F Body

Bummer Mate , hope the service gives it a few more miles !
May have to restrict it to local runs ?

ianjpage

hmmyeah lets hope it does - local runs, hmm now what is classed as local - northampton / MKB....lol

F Body

Well if it's only slipping in third gear , motorway cruising in 4th shouldn't be a problem ?

ianjpage

you are indeed correct once its in OD then its fine - just 3rd causing the issues!!

55starchief

Another update

No, there are no adjustments for bands, ect. It could be something simple like a shift solenoid, or line pressure solenoid since it only has a problem in one gear. Hard to tell without diagnosis, though. Hope this helps.