Paint or Polish?

Started by Jamieg285, March 11, 2011, 09:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

I have a set of 3rd gen wheels (the ones in my avatar <--- ) that I'm about to do a basic refurb on.  I plan on painting the main angled spokes in black and having the outer rim and spoke edges raw/polished or painted silver.

Given that this is a daily driver that doesn't get cleaned as often as it should, what do you think I should do with the silver bits - polish or paint with a bright silver wheel paint?

EDGE

you could try them raw and unfinished and see how long they last, then paint them silver if you're not happy with the results :)

F Body

Quoting: Jamieg285
Given that this is a daily driver that doesn't get cleaned as often as it should, what do you think I should do with the silver bit

Paint

NB: 98% of modern alloy wheels have a painted silver finish

philoldsmobile

definatley paint,

The quality of the casting varies greatly with these wheels, i have seen some that looked good polished, but others were like an aero bar..

FUBAR

Quoting: philoldsmobile
definatley paint,

The quality of the casting varies greatly with these wheels

you'de have a very hard time polishing them I reckon.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Jamieg285

That's fairly conclusive, paint it will be.

Next question is about the black paint - black smoothrite or black alloy wheel paint?

Not going for a perfect finish, but needs to be a good 8/10 or better.

F Body

black smoothrite

It will last twice or three times as long as alloy wheel paint

Not going for a perfect finish, but needs to be a good 8/10 or better.

Well you will only get one chance with the smoothrite, so it needs to be done somewhere warm and dry, so it drys before you get any runs

Roadkill

Next question is about the black paint - black smoothrite or black alloy wheel paint?

I'd opt for the Alloy wheel paint.

Have had real mixed results with Hammerite/Smoothrite . . . .

Jamieg285

I'm leaning towards alloy paint for both colours now. That'll give me the option of anthracite rather than black.

F Body

I'm leaning towards alloy paint for both colours now.

Don't do it

That'll give me the option of anthracite rather than black.

They do smoothrite in a couple of different shades of grey, but it's called something like the garden range

Disappears to garage to find an old tin

F Body