Man Down...... Almost

Started by Titsy, April 06, 2006, 11:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titsy

Guys, I very nearly bit it yesterday..... 25 and a day and my life was flashing before my eyes...

Was driving from Buckingham to Cranfield after work and got as far as where the A421 becomes dual-carriageway. Came up to the first roundabout, no one about on the approach or coming round the roundabout, so I let off a little with the intent of cutting the apex to go straight over. I'm not looning it, just doing a reasonable pace because there's no traffic. Anyways, I come onto the roundabout and turn the wheel left and then right to go round, and as I transition the back end of the car completely lets go.... Now facing the roundabout I'm franticly piling in the left lock so as not to spin, the car then does a massive fishtail and I'm heading for a lamppost (all the time shitting bricks). So now I'm piling in the right lock to bring it back round again, the car starts climbing the verge toward the lamppost, but in doing so manages to gain some grip again and swing back around again. This time I manage to get it back in the right direction heading toward my exit. I bring it to a stop about 100 yards down the road in a bus stop and take a moment to breath. When I climbed out to work out what went wrong, I find the inside rear tyre is completely flat. So quick change for the spare and off I go...

I only wish I'd had a DriftBox stuck to the screen to show me what angles I got, I would have got some good points out of that one me thinks...

philoldsmobile

you probably already know, but when a FWD car looses the back end, point the front wheels in the drection you want to go, and plant the throttle..

doing this in RWD is virtualy scuiside though...

Titsy

Philo's expressing his talent for stating the obvious as usual... hehe...

Incursus

Sounds like fun can I have a go?

Jamieg285

Quoting: Incursus

OK,  I'll randomly let a tyre down for you sometime in the next 6 months  

Jamieg285

And I don't think 'this is fun' was what was passing through his mind either

Incursus

Quoting: Jamieg285

OK, I'll randomly let a tyre down for you sometime in the next 6 months

I'm used to it the front passenger tyre, on the duster, used to randomly go flat at the most inconveniant times

But thanks for the offer

Jamieg285

But thanks for the offer

I'll take that as a yes then  

Cunning Plan

The hardest thing is not touching the break, if you do or dont do it lightly you will stack.

Glad you reined in the beast titsy..  Nice descriptive writing too
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Glad you reined in the beast titsy

Well i spose it is faster than Deans Camaro coughinthewetwithbaldtyresandonlytwogearscough

Jamieg285

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Glad you reined in the beast titsy

Well i spose it is faster than Deans Camaro coughinthewetwithbaldtyresandonlytwogearscough

What is it?  Not a Chavscort I hope  

Incursus

Quoting: Jamieg285
What is it? Not a Chavscort I hope

Close, the more modern chavscort replacement. Fochav? chavus?  

Jamieg285

Incursus

Close, the more modern chavscort replacement. Fochav? chavus?

Not really much of a chav car imho they moved on to the french cars.

Just shows how stupid chavs are i guess

Jamieg285

Roadkill

And this is in a FWD !!!

Give the man a real car and he'd be dead in a week !!!

Roadkill

Seriously, though, glad to see you're O.K.

Titsy

Quoting: Roadkill
Give the man a real car and he'd be dead in a week !!!

Not much you can do about a punctured tyre, no matter what car you're driving......

Roadkill

Sammy Lou

well i'm glad you are still alive!

EDGE

Quoting: Titsy
Guys, I very nearly bit it yesterday..... 25 and a day and my life was flashing before my eyes...

Was driving from Buckingham to Cranfield after work and got as far as where the A421 becomes dual-carriageway. Came up to the first roundabout, no one about on the approach or coming round the roundabout, so I let off a little with the intent of cutting the apex to go straight over. I'm not looning it, just doing a reasonable pace because there's no traffic. Anyways, I come onto the roundabout and turn the wheel left and then right to go round, and as I transition the back end of the car completely lets go

dude,,,, after that point you were just a passenger .... glad you came out on top though..

EDGE