JD power 2010 results..

Started by philoldsmobile, July 26, 2011, 03:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

some interesting results,(cars built 2008 - 2001) look at the overall manufacturers score - Vauxhall dead last, Alfa managed a creditable 10th tied with toyota and VW and a very good showing for land rover at 14th (they used to be near the bottom in the early days of the freeloader)

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2011/the-results/257096\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2011/the-results/257096

the odd thing is, Ford, who finished quite near the bottom, had one car in one car that scored significantly better than all of the others, and one car (the Ka) that finished significantly worse.. No suprise that the Mondeo finished higher in the super competitive D segment - get that one wrong, and you really are in trouble.

does go to show how quality varies model to model.

Fieldy

I still find it mad to see cars like the MX-5 in these tests, a car that is how many years of production?!

French cars seem to be coming out better and better

Incursus

Quoting: philoldsmobile
land rover at 14th (they used to be near the bottom in the early days of the freeloader)

That because we're the preferred supplier for switchgear now
Note: Jaguar is 3rd

philoldsmobile

Jaguar have performed very well for a few years now, which is always nice to see.

What is interesting is that 'common convention' is now completely out of the window, if you'd have said to someone  20 years ago they should buy an Alfa, Skoda or Hyundai over a vauxhall or ford, as it was likely to be a more reliable car, they would think you'd gone insane.

Skoda in particular have done very well to get where they are, they are some of the best 'run of the mill' cars on the road, however, If I were buying a mid size saloon, the Seat Exeo would be very near the top of my list.

Cunning Plan

or Hyundai

Summary for those who can't be bothered to read a long story - Hyundai cars and service = good. Ford cars = OK, Ford service = terrible compared to Hyundai.

Hyundai have really impressed me. My gf's old car was a 2006 Hyundai Amica which she bought with one owner and 2k on the clock for 4.5k.

It had a 5 year warranty on it, any time we thought something needed replacing, we dropped it off at Hyundai and with no arguments or hassle they had the car repaired, cleaned and ready to be collected within a day or a maximum of a couple of days if they had to order a part in.

The car drove nicely for a small car, kept up with traffic well for a 1100cc and was really well equipped. Electric windows all round, A/C, fog / spot lights etc.

She sold the car a few years later with 33k on the clock for 3.8k. How's that for low depreciation?!

Unfortunately, this is a bit of a contrast for the 2008 Ford Fiesta we have upgraded to. There were a few bits that needed doing by the dealership when we bought it as part of the agreement like scratches covered up and an alloy lacquer repair. The Ford only has a 3 year warranty, so when the air-conditioning needed sorting, we took it to Ford to sort straight away in plenty of time before the warranty expires.

To save on a long story, it was hassle. In short = leak found, colorant put in the system, drive for a week, bring back. Went to Cornwall that week, used air con all week, took back for them to repair as asked, was told after 3 hours that there was no leak. Took away and air con still no better. Took back and complained, they checked again and put back on re-gassing machine, found there was less refrigerant that there should be, topped back up and it is better that it was, but still not perfect.

There is also an power-loss when you have the air-con on when the compressor cuts in and out, but as you can imagine it does this a few times a minute and gets annoying (my gf doesn't notice it, but I do).

So. For her next car I think we will be seriously considering the I30. We were considering that at the time we bought the Fiesta, but they were just too new at the time to be in our price bracket.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

philoldsmobile

My cousin holds a very good job with a pharmaceutical company, and after test driving many different Lexus Mercedes BMW etc 4x4's, she chose  the Hyundai Santa Fe, (many reasons, tax band, space features etc) and absolutely loves it. IIRC she had a company car budget of around £40k.

Alfa always suffered terribly with the dealers, with over half of them loosing their franchises a few years ago when quality control was taken over by some German guy, but the cars never have been any worse (usually considerably better) than the equivalent Vauxhall or Ford, hence the reason the press always love them, but the bar room stories dont.

compare a 166 with an omega (direct E segment rivals in the late 90's) and the vauxhall feels cheap flimsy and crude against the utterly rock solid Alfa, the same is true of a 90's mondeo against a 156.

you should see how the 159 hands on to its money, you will still pay nearly £7k for an early one with high ish miles, ditto the Brera.

Fieldy

Quoting: Cunning Plan
There is also an power-loss when you have the air-con on when the compressor cuts in and out, but as you can imagine it does this a few times a minute and gets annoying (my gf doesn't notice it, but I do).

Funny, my Mondeo does the same, I can feel a slight judder and can even see it affect the headlights for a few moments.

I love the i30, but have genuinely priced up the IX35 (the cross-over 4x4/mpv)... Beautiful cars

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Fieldy
Funny, my Mondeo does the same, I can feel a slight judder and can even see it affect the headlights for a few moments.

Yeah, I don't mind the drop in power, it's the constant on / off - so if you are doing 60, you can feel it cut in and without moving the accelerator, it drops to 58/59, then it will cut out again and you get back to 60. As I say I think most people don't notice it as they just drive with the accelerator 'on' or 'off', but I notice it and have since researched that it is pretty common and standard.

My sisters 2001 Ford Ka has it a little too, but not quite as noticeable.

My conclusion is the Ford air-conditioning systems are just not as good as others - as much as I don't like to say it as I like Ford. The little 1.1 Amica had the a/c running without any other affect on the rest of the vehicle - it was un-noticeable that it was running - how it should be.

I love the i30, but have genuinely priced up the IX35 (the cross-over 4x4/mpv)... Beautiful cars

Ah yeah, looks like the Lexus from behind.

At the moment I am liking the i800 - for a van cross-over it is pretty good looking and has a lot of room.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

philoldsmobile

and can even see it affect the headlights for a few moments.

that doesn't sound right, is it charging ok? air con should draw very little electrical power, you may feel the compressor cut in but it shouldn't be drawing enough to dim headlights...

Andy

that doesn't sound right, is it charging ok? air con should draw very little electrical power, you may feel the compressor cut in but it shouldn't be drawing enough to dim headlights...

Although the A/C brings the engine down sometimes, on Fords its not uncommon for the fans to click in as well when the clutch on the compressor does. Did on mine, had exactly the same effect. Those twin fans do draw some current!

Andy

Quoting: Cunning Plan

That is a rather fine looking car...

philoldsmobile

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Andy

Although the A/C brings the engine down sometimes, on Fords its not uncommon for the fans to click in as well when the clutch on the compressor does. Did on mine, had exactly the same effect. Those twin fans do draw some current!

ahh. mine brings the fans in, but they are soft start, so you don't notice. maybe the fans are a little old and worn, and drawing more current than when new?