Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 02:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Quoting: sixpack2639
Not yet....I wanted to make sure they don't have any more excuses first.

I could get a better pic ?

I will.

I don't want a refund, BTW - just to buy the bar that fits my Caddy and to be told what bar the one I have fits so I can sell it on.  Shipping back to the US I don't think is an option . .

sixpack2639

Quoting: Roadkill
to be told what bar the one I have fits

According to PST the bar you have (2042) is for 1958 Cadillac Sedan d'Ville.

Roadkill

I'll check my chassis measurements . . . .

Roadkill

O.K - Pictures . . .

The two sway bars . . . centred - clearly showing the new one is noticeably shorter

The sway bar end . . . again the returns are slightly shorter and the angle is different.
I put the older, thinner bar on top for clarity.

Finally the chassis check details from the '58 Workshop manual.

The car is a Sedan, we checked the measurement "B".

It measured EXACTLY 44 15/32" . . Not close to it - EXACTLY it.

There is no sign of creep or spreading or accident damage.

There is no way it will ever fit on the car . . . even if I re-drilled the rails I still wouldn't be able to move the mount points enough to get the bar on.

Motorama

The one they sent you has to be off a narrower Chevy or something maybe put on the wrong rack or stamped with the wrong number.

58 Cadillac's could be factory ordered with air ride and i wonder if they used a heavier duty sway bar, may be worth looking into.

Cadillac chassis parts are so over engineered i'd be amazed if you couldnt get away with using the original with some uprated bushes anyhow.

Nice shoes by the way

Roadkill

Quoting: Motorama
Nice shoes by the way

They're my working on the car / garage / garden etc . . shoes.

Note the huge turn-ups on my way-to-big jeans, too.

Motorama

Note the huge turn-ups on my way-to-big jeans, too.

good for catching any dropped nuts or bolts

ianjpage

Was @ deanos this weekend and there is no way that new bar will fit at all - is wayyy too short

Roadkill

sixpack2639

I haven't forgotten about it mate.

The fella that handles customer service seems to never be in so i've not gotten hold of him yet but I have tried several times.

Roadkill

Okkies, mate.  I'm not pestering you, I know you're a busy man.

sixpack2639

Right then, finally got ahold of Rich in Customer Support today. He said that bar fits 1957-1962 Cadillac ONLY!

I told him NO,IT DOESN'T!!! It doesn't fit at all!!!

Told him you checked the frame dimentions and they're spot on so don't try that song and dance.

Sent him the pics. He's gonna research and let me know.

Also told him the bar is in the UK and we will send it back if they want it but they pay the shipping!

Balls in their court!

Roadkill

O.K, mate, thanks for that.

Here's hoping they pull their finger out.

sixpack2639

Been playing phone tag with Rich for a week and a half but finally got hold of him moments ago. Here are the options....

1) Buy another bar and pay shipping to the UK. $179 + shipping.

2) Send the one you have back to me, I send it to Rich, he sends me the replacement bar, I ship it to you. Cost is shipping all around.

The bar they're recommending is for 1959-1960 Cadillac as the dimentions are bigger than the bar you have.

Rich said the manufacturer is holding their ground saying the bar is correct for your application, but he also said the tech rep he spoke to last told him they have had to substitute the 59-60 one in the past for other customers, therefore they know it doesn't fit every car but yet they didn't bother to tell their retailers.

55starchief

Deano, if it helps i can get the bar to maryland FOC would need it in my hand in the next week or so ready for our next USA shipment

Roadkill

So, basically they tell you it's the right part even though they've admitted it may not be the right part ?

Tossers.

I'll have to buy a new sway bar (I think it'll work out cheapest) BUT can they provide me with a drawing to confirm if the later one is the one I want . . . ?

Without it I get the sneaky suspicion that I'll end up with TWO sway bars that don't fit.

I'm not having a moan at you, mate, I understand not everything goes perfect all the time.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Deano, if it helps i can get the bar to maryland FOC would need it in my hand in the next week or so ready for our next USA shipment

Let's find out about the other bar, first . . . Thanks for the offer.

sixpack2639

I've called Rich and asked for dimentions of the new bar......we'll see.

Roadkill

A sketch would do . . I obviously just need to be sure this time.

I hope nobody else has this issue . . .

sixpack2639

Couldn't get a sketch, but here are the dimentions Rich gave me....

Eye to eye 47.125"

Long part of bar between bends 36"

Sides 8.5"

Go ahead and laugh, but it took me the better part of 30 minutes to do that pitiful sketch in Paint!!

Roadkill

Are those dimensions taken from the centre of the bar ?

(I'm not being pedantic, by the way . . )

sixpack2639

Are those dimensions taken from the centre of the bar ?

Not sure what you mean........

Roadkill

It's O.K.

I think I've got enough . . .

Will update when I've checked tomorrow.

sixpack2639

Roadkill

Not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean . . .

Have been busy lately.  Will check tonight.