WANTED Air Con Compressor (96/97 GMC Safari)

Started by ianjpage, June 28, 2006, 05:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

As the title says i need a Air Con Compressor for my 96/97 GMC Safari as its buggered ....

New ones a little too expensive at the moment.....

55starchief

how much is a new one and did you give astoria a call to see what price they could do it for?

ianjpage

Quoting: 55starchief
how much is a new one and did you give astoria a call to see what price they could do it for?

A new one is about 500 ish according to someone i was chatting to the other day!

Not called them yet as TBH i forgot lol - fancy calling him for me (cos im lazy hehe) if not give us his number etc

55starchief

Can you let me have the VIN as geoff says that the engines are all different even the 4.3 astro engine is different to the safari go figure

ianjpage

ahh ok have to be tonight then as van at home and im at work!!

ianjpage

Can you let me have the VIN as geoff says that the engines are all different even the 4.3 astro engine is different to the safari go figure

Right finally remember to get teh VIN!

1GKDM19W5VB522951

55starchief

ok will call geof and see what price but am guessing its gone be around the £500

ianjpage

ok thanks mate - also see if he got the air con delete serp belt and the idler pulley as well (amybe a cheaper option ofor now!!)

ianjpage

55starchief

no need to bump i called geoff this morning

ianjpage

LOL ok soz i didn;t want it to drop off and be forgotton!

philoldsmobile

should be the same as loads of other GM's - the compressors weren't made by GM, they are harrison units

the safari and astro ones will be listed under different part numbers (different makes ya see!!), but are the same unit...

the only difference between a safari and an astro is the grille and headlights...

despite this, GM wisely gaveo one vehicle GMC part numbers,and the other chevy part numbers... if course, they are different numbers.

ianjpage

Hmm yeha but even so mate - they still aint gunna be cheap

philoldsmobile

nope..

this is what happens when you dont service yer air con....

when its gassed every 4 years, they are suposed to add an oil to it.. neglect means the bearings run dry, and well....you know the rest..

Big Mouse

Ian, I still have the aircon compressor out of the camaro; worked fine before it was pulled. Not sure whether its compatible or not tho?

ianjpage

Quoting: philoldsmobile
nope..

this is what happens when you dont service yer air con....

when its gassed every 4 years, they are suposed to add an oil to it.. neglect means the bearings run dry, and well....you know the rest..

Yeah more than liekly as dont know the history of the use of the air con with its previous owner - and its actually the clutch part of it that is busted but we cannot remove the clutch part so need to replace the unit

Quoting: Big Mouse
Ian, I still have the aircon compressor out of the camaro; worked fine before it was pulled. Not sure whether its compatible or not tho?

Ray ... therory says should be pretty similar as the van is a late 96/early 97 model so hopefully(!!) should have the same air con - how easy is it for you to get teh Part No off of it so i can looksee if they the same ... have to work out how to see it in the van tho lol!

Big Mouse

Quoting: ianjpage
Ray ... therory says should be pretty similar as the van is a late 96/early 97 model so hopefully(!!) should have the same air con - how easy is it for you to get teh Part No off of it so i can looksee if they the same ... have to work out how to see it in the van tho lol!

I'll get upto the store later and take a look and some measurements, maybe a picture too!!

ianjpage

55starchief

Genuine GM £644

After Market £454+ £43 core charge refundable

No delete plate option on the build sheet for that vehicle

Might be able to do some discount aswell

ianjpage

Genuine GM £644

After Market £454+ £43 core charge refundable

No delete plate option on the build sheet for that vehicle

Might be able to do some discount aswell

Yowzers.....

not cheep

Wots it come to with discount then??

ianjpage

OK have now got a air con delete belt & pulley, just need to get em fitted...

Graeme - any chance of getting me a defo price for the air con compressor  -  trying a few sources and its coming out at between 300-400 quid most places (for orig GM!)

ianjpage

55starchief

Quoting: ianjpage

Graeme - any chance of getting me a defo price for the air con compressor

That was the definate price, you might get 10% but its still more than your getting quoted by the looks of things for a genuine GM unit

ianjpage

yeah also found on ebay (thanks to carl!) a "four seasons" air con unit, with pipes and summat else for about 250$!!!!

Big Mouse

I dug my old one out of the store this morning, Philo called me about it yesterday to pick up for you? see if it fits and make me an offer