Main Menu

Pod's mustang

Started by Pod, July 18, 2006, 04:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Quoting: Titsy
I forget the exact figure, but my 'maro was a little over 1600kg

Sounds about right my was 1820kg full loaded on a certified weighbridge.

Roadkill

Quoting: Pod
Most of the air con system has been removed

The force is strong here.

Pod

Pictures are here:

http://www.mkb.cc/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=67&page=1&sort=pa\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.mkb.cc/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=67&page=1&sort=pa

I'll be taking some pictures of the bits I've removed soon.

Pod

Still not got those pictures yet.

I've spent more money though!

The last parts of the brake upgrade have been ordered.
A second hand set of 3.55 gears is winging it's way over from ebay.
A spare wheel (to fix the slow puncture) and a couple of other goodies are in the process of being ordered.

I've also got my eye on a set of cylinder heads....

ianjpage

hmm big $$$$$$$$$$ spending then hehe

Pod

Spent $850 at Summit yesterday...

Shifty

Shifty

On?

double post, computer went ape for some reason. maybe it thought my post count was to low.

Pod

Mostly on go faster parts rather than maintenance, which makes a nice change.
I've got another $1000 going out in the next day or so for a set of cylinder heads.

Seriously skint now though.

55starchief

Did you check and see if you need to resize the pushrod holes for the higher ratio rockers?

***edit***

this is for the SBC and poncho going from 1.50 over to 1.65

Pushrod clearance
Yep same problem on stock cast iron heads.
On aluminum heads check with the manufactuer to see if they require it and then try fit first anyway.There are guys on here that know that answer already better than I do.
On factory cast iron heads that were on engines that did not come equipped with 1.65 ratio rocker arms the pushrods will bind against the hole ,bend and fail, possibly cause other valvetrain or debris in the oil problems if not clearanced properly for the use of 1.65 or higher ratio rocker arms.
Not just a question of bigger but bigger in the right direction.
High ratio rockers and stock diameter pushrods require the hole to be elongated/clearanced by .1875" starting on the top side of the hole closest to the rocker stud and angling down towards the center of the hole finishing at 1/2 the distance of it's depth in most cases.
Larger diameter pushrods will require more clearance for the hole ,possibly on all sides , and also the guide plates if the stock guide plates are to be used.

The guy that asked the question didnt wait for the reply and has now bent his pushrods

Pod

I'll be collecting the car from Webster Race Engineering tomorrow with it's newly installed 3.55 gears.

Also today I've ordered the following from Maximum Motorsports in the States:
a strut tower brace, clutch cable firewall adjuster and the (hopefully) last part needed for the brake system.

Brakes will be the next main project, followed by the heads.

Titsy

Brakes will be the next main project

I'd slap in a line lock while your at it...

Jo

Picked the stang up & Pod's had a huge grin on his face all day, so all went well it even got a polish this afternoon lol, so all nice n shiny and very yellow again now the dirt has been cleaned off

Pod

Quoting: 55starchief
I found these today

Not bad, but you helped me install the better-than-stock front control arms.
I'm fairly (ish) certain those AJE control arms need their k-member and coilovers.

An after market k-member and coilovers *are* on the shopping list but quite a long way down.

Also:
Quoting: ebay advert

You are bidding on new
MILD STEEL TUBULAR A-ARMS

Quoting: ebay advert

Does not include control arms

WTF are you buying then?!

55starchief

WTF are you buying then?!

A arms are the top ones mate, control arms are the bottom ones

Pod

Well, these mustangs only have lower arms at the front.

Pod

The gears are installed.
Tonight I've fitted the new speedo gear so hopefully it will read correctly now. (it was reading 90-100mph on the way home at what was actually 70!)
We'll take it out tomorrow and test it.

HardRockCamaro

Does it feel faster?

You've certainly fitted a lot of stuff since last season!

Jamieg285

What was the old gear ratio? I'm guessing around 2.7, so I'd expect a jump to 3.55 will have a noticeable change in acceleration.

HardRockCamaro

I think he said it was 3.06 or thereabouts...

Pod

Yeah, the car originally had 3.08 gears according to the door tag.
However, the speedo gear I took out would be for 2.73 gears. So until I check the part numbers I'm not really sure what I had/have.

Roadkill

I thought I read somewhere that you was fitting 4.something ratio gears ?

Pod

A few people wanted me to go for the 4.10 gears, but that would be barmy (but fun ) for a daily driver.

It looks like with the 3.55's I'm doing about 3k in fifth at about 70mph. It was somewhere around 2-2.5k before.

Roadkill

I'm doing about 3k in fifth at about 70mph

I think with my 3.73 they're at about 3,250 @ 70mph . . . Not too bad but not great for economy.

4+ gears would be silly for an everydayer.