Implications of dropping from 2 1/4" to 2" exhaust diameter

Started by EDGE, September 07, 2006, 09:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDGE

Guys.. just a quikie...

what are the implications engineering and performance wise of going from 2 1/4" exhaust down to 2" for around 12" of the exhaust system...

the whole exhaust on the trofeo is 2 1/4" but i need to put something inline thats only 2", but its only about a foot long basically... so I'll have to use reducers either side of it to smooth the flow...

not ideal i know, and I KNOW I should't do it... but will it have dire consequences ?

EDGE

EDGE

doh.... someone take this out of "general news and announcements" please....

55starchief

do you need a length of 2 1/4"? as i can make the call

55starchief

call made and yup he has it on the shelf and a couple of foot would be under  £10

EDGE

hmmm.... that's not bad at all... has he got the double sleves that fit over the 2 1/4 inch pipe, to join 2 bits together... and the clamps ?

i need about a metre of the pipe..

55starchief

here give them a call and tell them what you want

http://www.gds-exhausts.com/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.gds-exhausts.com/

01280-702510

sixpack2639

Quoting: EDGE
what are the implications engineering and performance wise of going from 2 1/4" exhaust down to 2" for around 12" of the exhaust system...

I could give you all the technical jargon about what it will do but suffice it to say -20 bhp give or take a couple.

EDGE

cheers dude.. i just called them and got the prices, theyre fairly cheap.. however, its actually cheaper for me to get it locally rather than pay the courier costs... typical....

chers though dude... much appreciated...

I just guess I wont be etting a cut out system on the olds

EDGE

55starchief

cheers dude.. i just called them and got the prices, theyre fairly cheap.. however, its actually cheaper for me to get it locally rather than pay the courier costs... typical....

er matey i can pick it up as its like next door to me then you can collect it from me at our next meet our your next meet etc

EDGE

that true... but i was after fixing the noisy fooking thing this weekend

We'll see how it goes, rhanks for the offer dude... i need to find out if the pipe on the car is 2 1.4" inside OR outside diameter... I think its inside.. but i need to check with the calipers....

EDGE

Pod

i need to put something inline thats only 2"

What's this then?

EDGE

EDGE

... only available to suit 2" outside diameter pipes

EDGE

Pod

If it only comes in smaller size pipe, then it doesn't make much sense to fit it. It will be slower even with the cut out open, as the pipe is smaller. Close the cutout and it will be slower still *and* quiet.

EDGE

well.. it wont be slower going from a 2 1/4 to a 2, especialy seeing as youre venting gas quicker, the decreased diameter may even cause the gas velocity increase to decrease the pumping losses of the engine... but with it shut it may have an effect..... i just thought it'd be kinda cool.... im not doing it now anyways....

quietish exhaust FTW !!!!11111one

Finlay

Edge Ive got a pair of Flowtech race readys in stock that are 2 1/2" OD

these are normal steel. And brand new.
Got to say the build quality is strong & good enough but a bit rough.

£40 delivered to you

There is a Guy on v8hotrod.com selling electric cutouts  for £95 each (if I remember correct)

Cheers
Fin

Finlay

The Cut outs on V8hotrod.com do not fit the Flowtech Trace readys....

BUT

I may have some big news very soon about Electric Cutouts and Y pipes...

The Dynoflow range is about to get bigger!!! AND LOUDER THAT EVER

I'll let you know what is to happen.

Finlay

The Cut outs on V8hotrod.com do not fit the Flowtech Trace readys....

BUT

I may have some big news very soon about Electric Cutouts and Y pipes...

The Dynoflow range is about to get bigger!!! AND LOUDER THAT EVER

I'll let you know what is to happen.

Finlay

Corr double post thingy

That wil get my post count up