Main Menu

Emo.....

Started by philoldsmobile, September 20, 2006, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

uhhh.. so whas that all aboot then?

its like slighly odd soft punks? was on the train a couple of weeks ago and it seemed that about 50% of the 16 - 21 year old people that got on looked 'emo'

wikipedia results lookd kinda scary..

EDGE

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... ????

philoldsmobile

the urban dictionary result is also scary....

EDGE

from urbandictionary.com

emo     
   2 up, 4 down    

A genre of music that began in the 1980s and has had three main waves. The first wave involved hardcore punk bands from the DC scene who's singers would give exceptionally emotional performances. This became known as emocore or emotive hardcore.

The second wave of emo began in the early 90s when the bands began to add indie influences to create a lighter version of emotional punk. This is much closer to the style of emo that we see today.

Sadly, the modern wave of emo has abandoned the strategy of making good music that actually means something in favor of creating marketable music that sells to hormonal teens who feel that suicide is cool.

Punk: So you're emo...I imagine the Rites of Spring is pretty high up in your cd collection?

Emo prep: No, but man those Hawthorne Heights guys are the shit.

Punk: ...Go ******* die.

55starchief

yup just look on ebay, almost any old clothing with a logo is emo try and find a genuine  atari shirt

F Body

With a teenage girl I thought I was reasonably with "it" ?
But I think you Guy's don't live on planet F Body

Rocky

Emotionally disturbed or something like that, my cousin is one of them,

Incursus

Roadkill

Don't get "Emo" TBH.

Isn't it "Emotional Rock" - ie. $hitty """punk""" bands singing about lost loves instead of breaking stuff ?

philoldsmobile

u tube results for emo boy emo guy or emo girl are all uber scary...

philoldsmobile

i dont know what anything is anymore

philoldsmobile

we need more fire.... lots more fire...

philoldsmobile

fire and wine......

philoldsmobile

i had a nice glass of wine.....

what? a bottle is made of glass....

EDGE

dude....

thats awesome whoring..

EDGE

almost as good as me... you see.. know one knows when I'm doing it...

UBER PIMP

EDGE

EDGE

Incursus

ianjpage

Cunning Plan

theres many types of 'alternative' people, the metal heads the punks, goths, straight edge etc..  All into different types of music that comes under the same 'alt' bracket (i guess music that is wrote and played by a band with real instruments).  Emo is a realitivly new thing - or its definition in this country is.  Roadkill is right its Emotional Music, bands like Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu etc, basiclly if they are whining they are emo.  Emo people are easy to spot, the guys look like girls and the girls look like guys!  Girls - tight BOYS jeans, tight at bottom, studded bullet belt, tight I LOVE CLOUDS t-shirt or something - important bit:  Hair is done as 'different' as possible, the norm is to glue your fringe to your forhead at an angle.  Guys- GIRLS tight jeans, studded belt, Girls t-shirt saying I LOVE CLOUDS TOO or something..  Again hair stapled to forehead at an angle.

Some of the girls are quite nice, but others just look like dykes!

Like they say, I wish my lawn was emo, then it would cut itself
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

Don't know what I am, then.  There's definately no Emo in me that's for sure !!!

Mustangus

Quoting: Roadkill
Isn't it "Emotional Rock" - ie. $hitty """punk""" bands singing about lost loves instead of breaking stuff ?

Ain't that the truth

Where does indie fit in then?

Cunning Plan

Indie is under the Alt bracket, but just lighter than everything else..

Quoting: Roadkill
Don't know what I am, then. There's definately no Emo in me that's for sure !!!
 I hear that dude.. metal all the way
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

Well im not emo but i do like bullet for my valentine and its in my itunes library but then again so is system of a down and the mars volta

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Well im not emo but i do like bullet for my valentine and its in my itunes library but then again so is system of a down and the mars volta

B'ah.

Not a fan of any of that.  B.F.M.V and S.O.A.D sound too whiney for me.
The guy from S.O.A.D freaks me out.  The music's O.K but I don't like the lyrics/vocals.

Must be getting old.