Car company profits ?

Started by F Body, September 28, 2006, 07:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

As I'm sure your well aware that both GM & Ford are still millions in the red
Even MB/Chysler are feeling the heat !
So it's nice to know that someone can still make a profit even if they only made just over 100,000 vehicles last year ( Ford sells nearly that many Mustangs in a month ).
Porsche has just released it's 2006 fiscal year results and profits are up by over ten percent to a staggering €7.27 billion
That's why there so exspensive

Roadkill

That's a hefty profit margin for such a small number of units . . .

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
That's a hefty profit margin for such a small number of units . . .

Thats how a company should run, whats the point in mkaing something with no profit

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Thats how a company should run

Indeed.

Mind you there's a possiblity, of course, that the profit is gained by having a ridiculous mark-up on the product . . . . but that's up to the (typically stupid) customer to decide . . . . .

ianjpage

Quoting: F Body
€7.27 billion

now that nice a nice lil amount!!

Pod

Quoting: F Body
Porsche has just released it's 2006 fiscal year results and profits are up by over ten percent to a staggering €7.27 billion

Hmm, so that's about £4.5 billion (roughly).
Divided by 100,000 cars makes £47,000 profit per car.
That doesn't sound right to me...

55starchief

Quoting: Pod
Hmm, so that's about £4.5 billion (roughly).
Divided by 100,000 cars makes £47,000 profit per car.
That doesn't sound right to me...

That would be about right, giving about a 100% markup

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
100% markup

A salesman's dream.

55starchief

A salesman's dream

Yup have to get away with it as long as possible before the heard figures out whats going down and reacts

philoldsmobile

that would be over 100% mark up as the boxter (its biggest seller) retails for less than that at list price...

porsche are also in the wonderfull position of no haggle sales.. demand for the boxter especialy out strips supply so much that they simply will not negotiate on price.... if you dont want the car, the salesman just needs to phone someone else on his list that does..

mercedes benz simply wont negotiate new weither, as the company gives the dealer such a small mark up, keeping the proffits within the company..

it is rumoured the dealers margin on an S class can be as little as £150

philoldsmobile

A salesman's dream.

depends where the markup is....

the unit price and the dealer price will be VERY differnt... if a boxter cost porsche 10k to build, it doesn't mean a dealer can get it for 10k, they probably release them to a dealer at 32k, with a retail of 36k its not the dealers mark up, its the manufacturers..

FWIW, i'd still have a new porsche if i had the money though...

-edit- boxter starts at £33,170

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile
depends where the markup is....

the unit price and the dealer price will be VERY differnt... if a boxter cost porsche 10k to build, it doesn't mean a dealer can get it for 10k, they probably release them to a dealer at 32k, with a retail of 36k its not the dealers mark up, its the manufacturers..

FWIW, i'd still have a new porsche if i had the money though...

That price would include VAT and Import duties

Yup indeed the unit price and dealer price would be different and you would probably have an export price for sales out side of europe aswell.

My statement was based on an average of a porsche price to get a markup. The boxster might well be 33k but you have the carrera4 at 80k and the GT1 at over 100k