Electric Chokes (again!)

Started by Jamieg285, October 06, 2006, 04:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

I have a couple of questions on electric chokes.  The 1st is to fill in my understanding of them, the 2nd is to try and solve my problem.

1.  How exactly does it work.  From tinkering to try and solve my problem I have seen that the choke flap attaches to a rod which attaches through linkages to an arm that fits inside the choke housing. Inside that housing is a springs which works agains the arm, moving the flap.
The electrics attach to the spring, but I've not worked out what it does.  Does the spring close the flap when it's cold, with the electrics opening the flap as things warm up (my suspicion), or does the electric cause the spring to close the flap, and as the heat increases the spring relaxes and opens the flap.
So, in essence - does the application of electricity when cold open the flap or close it?

2.  My choke flap is sticking in the open position.  When unstuck, everthing works OK, all linkages move, fast idle engages, and the choke opens as the car warms up. I have verified that there is power to the choke with the ignition on, the spring inside is correctly engaging the arm. The lean/rich settings have been adujsted.  When the car is cold, the flaps sticks in the open position and doesn't close unless manually pushed, at which point it will snap close and operate correctly.  I can't see any adjustment that I have missed, but this can't be right.  

Any suggestions?

55starchief

As far as i know the choke is pulled closed when power is sent to it. Im not sure how it opens again. Would need to read the instalation manual of the carb to see that

55starchief

F Body

Quoting: 55starchief
Im not sure how it opens again.

Usually just a spring opens it when the powers off , like a sort of fail safe.

The TA doesn't have a choke Been told that with the larger capacity engines they'll start at up to -10 degrees without one ?

Jamieg285

She'll start no problems, but needs the fast idle to keep her running.

Jamieg285

Pretty sure there's 12 volts, and taken from the wiper feed as suggested - will take a look though.

55starchief

Quoting: Jamieg285

Pretty sure there's 12 volts, and taken from the wiper feed as suggested - will take a look though.

might also be the wire size not being able to supply enough current to the solenoid

Jamieg285

It worked OK on the Holley.  Could the Eddy be that different?

If I took the housing off and hooked up the juice, what should I expect to see happend to the spring?

sixpack2639

You've answered yer own question there Jamie. I suspect whatever is causing yer choke to stick would be sorted by a good cleaning with carb & choke cleaner.

55starchief

It worked OK on the Holley. Could the Eddy be that different?

is this the same operating section? or the same connection?

Roadkill

Do you need a choke ?

None of my V8's have ever had an (operating) choke.

The Dodge was the only one that complained about it . . . mind you it complained about everything.

Jamieg285

Quoting: sixpack2639
You've answered yer own question there Jamie. I suspect whatever is causing yer choke to stick would be sorted by a good cleaning with carb & choke cleaner.

It's brand new - well only a couple of months old.  Somethings definitely sticking that shouldn't though.

Jamieg285

Quoting: 55starchief
is this the same operating section? or the same connection?

Just same wires.  All else is new.

Jamieg285

Quoting: Roadkill
Do you need a choke ?

None of my V8's have ever had an (operating) choke.

Only to keep her idling.  The idle is too slow when it's cold and she dies.  I suspect I may be able to remove the choke flap and just use the fast idle bits.

55starchief

Just same wires. All else is new.

i would check the guage of wire with the destrucions to what you have, and also check you def have a voltage. Am guessing it should be about 13.3v

Roadkill

Only to keep her idling. The idle is too slow when it's cold and she dies.

(Not knowing the set up) but has it got a cold idle screw you can wind in ?

Both the Camaro and the Caddy are happy without - in fact the Caddy has no issues with staying running when cold - even when it's damp . . . . . All I did was have a play with the carb 'til she sounded happy.

Jamieg285

There's two idle screws, one for 'normal' (off choke) currently set to about 850rpm out of gear, 550 in.  The other is the 'fast idle' which only engages when the choke is in action.

Jamieg285

At the moment, the fast idle is waaaay to high, 2K.  It only engages when I manually flip the flap away from it's stuck open position.

Roadkill

Hmm.

Dunno.

I'd need to have a play . . . .

Jamieg285

The other problem I have is that in the time it takes to try and diagnose the problem, the coil has heated and the choke has opened.

F Body

Jamie do you have a spare screwed rod for holding the air filter on ?
The one from the Trans Am is AWOL and with it loose the rain water is getting into the filter

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
do you have a spare screwed rod for holding the air filter on

I may have one . . . . . In the Caddy . . . which is round my parents.

I'll have a look on Sunday and let you know . . .