Caddy's coming home . . . . . . . Briefly.

Started by Roadkill, October 11, 2006, 05:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Quoting: Motorama
Have you got, or do you know anyone with a booster pack

Unfortunately, No - not as far as I know anyway.

They're fantastic, though.  The Genny mounts on the Caddy broke at billing a couple of years back and she wouldn't start.  (slack belt).

A guy came over, connected his one and she fired up without a whimper.

Definately on the long-term shopping list.

Motorama

just got the new American Car World in the mail, you and the 58 caddy are in there on therollin road feature

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill

Not cheap mate

ianjpage

Quoting: 55starchief

Not cheap mate

Yeah specially to power anything over 2000cc the ones i looking at were £100ish but only power upto a 2000cc car - what help is that i ask!!!!!

Motorama

My Snap On one was £200 but it will start a dead Yank over and over plus you can also use it as a trickle charger. It can be charged from the mains and also from a cigarette lighter. I guess you get what you pay for, Dream Cars have one of these that is 5 years old and it still performs as good as new.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=952958&group_ID=2217&store=uk&dir=catalog\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=952958&group_ID=2217&store=uk&dir=catalog

Roadkill

just got the new American Car World in the mail, you and the 58 caddy are in there on therollin road feature

Hehehehe.

Yeah. 196 Bhp ? - Not bad.  The guy reckoned he'd've got 200+ if he'd pushed her.
He was terrified of putting her on . . kept saying "are you sure . . . ?"

Was a good day out.  My Caddy had multiple problems so I was very happy she got there, let alone got that result.

As I mentioned to the Guy there  . . . I've got big plans for her . . .

Everything will be done as tastefully as possible and keeping as "old skool" as possible.

Roadkill

Not cheap mate

Note :

long-term

Roadkill

Eventually, I had to use the tiny battery off of the Camaro.

And.

She fired up, no bother at all.

Lots of unpleasant noises until she warmed up so I'm guessing the oil pump is clogged and/or Fooked !

Also the brakes are knackered, as well, so it's likely that she will be staying at mine until the ramps are complete.

ianjpage

Lots of unpleasant noises until she warmed up so I'm guessing the oil pump is clogged and/or Fooked !

Also the brakes are knackered, as well, so it's likely that she will be staying at mine until the ramps are complete.

Ahh mroe work then

Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
Ahh mroe work then

Not really.  The engine is being pulled and rebuilt and new oil pumps are a fairly standard item in most rebuild kits.

Also, regarding the brakes, they're spongy . . . They've had new fluid and the shoes have been cleaned so I'm guessing the M.C needs refurbing . . . . again a standard kit's quite cheap and this would've been done anyway.

ianjpage

Not really. The engine is being pulled and rebuilt and new oil pumps are a fairly standard item in most rebuild kits.

Also, regarding the brakes, they're spongy . . . They've had new fluid and the shoes have been cleaned so I'm guessing the M.C needs refurbing . . . . again a standard kit's quite cheap and this would've been done anyway.

Ahh kewl not too bad really then!!

Roadkill

ianjpage

Nothing I didn't expect, anyway.

Thats the main thing then!

55starchief

Oh yeah, to resize the rods for ARP bolts would run about £100ish depending where you have it done. Also a basic head job is gonna be around £450+VAT thats tidy up the bowls and de bur the runners

Roadkill

to resize the rods for ARP bolts would run about £100ish

Not bad . . . . Cheaper then custom rods, anyway . . . .

55starchief

Not bad . . . . Cheaper then custom rods, anyway . . . .

If you rods are already in the USA you could contact andy and see if he could resize them or ask carl's supplier if they could do it seeing as they were gonna do a regrind

Motorama

Or just buy a 472 lump and TH400 from a late 60's Caddy. These run 375 bhp as standard and there's a fair bit of tuning stuff available

Roadkill

Or just buy a 472 lump and TH400 from a late 60's Caddy. These run 375 bhp as standard and there's a fair bit of tuning stuff available

That was one option . . . But I wanted to keep matching numbers . . .

She'll be getting a crank from a 390ci and a re-bore.

I've also got a extremely rare Edelbrock Tri-Carb inlet for her, as well . . .

Motorama

My 56 runs a 390 motor, a pretty common upgrade it seems. I wouldnt buy a 56 with the original lump as they are prone to top end problems.

Roadkill

'56's had the 331ci ?

THe 365ci and the 390ci had basically the same block, just the stoke changed, as far as I know - hence the new crank option . . .

55starchief

THe 365ci and the 390ci had basically the same block, just the stoke changed, as far as I know - hence the new crank option . . .

Well you have my interchange manuals what do they say

Motorama

'56's had the 331ci ?

55s had the 331ci,  56 was the first year for the 365ci

Roadkill

56 was the first year for the 365ci

Really ?

Odd how the 365ci has top end problems . . . .

I'll have look tonight but they're very similar blocks.

What sort of problems, BTW ?

Motorama

it was problems with the rockers and valves i think

Roadkill

it was problems with the rockers and valves i think

She'll be getting new guides . . . I'll have a check-over of the valves as well.

Seems very odd . . Unless they changed materials used or something for the '59 (390ci's).