The Alternative way to get to 390ci . . . .

Started by Roadkill, October 20, 2006, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Buy a 390ci . . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=280039482105&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=280039482105&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I want to upgrade my 365ci to a 390ci but have nagging doubts over the transmission . . . By chance I saw this on eBay - complete Engine and Tranny.

And it's in Upland, CA . . . close to Andy I believe ?

I'm having ideas . . . .

55starchief

I dont think you will have an issue with your hyramatic

taken from PZ

Quoting: Bill Eveland
Those old Hydramatics will hold up a lot more horsepower than you think. The earlier slant pan hydro like the one that was in my 55 was widely used in the 60's for drag racing. B & M used to make a kit for them also. If set up correctly, there almost indestructable. The only problem is finding someone who knows what they are doing with them. The one nice thing about the hydro is the low first gear, you can keep your gear ratio you have now, with a manual trans you'll probaly want at least a 3:64 gear.

Roadkill

O.K.

What I'm thinking is getting a quote from Andy to do the work on the motor and give the trans a "look over".

Knowing it's under his nose saves him having to look for a motor to start with.

Plus, having it there means he can get stuff much better suited for it . . .especially as I want it custom-built.

Then he can send it over, with a spare trans, saving me hours of work and it'll be the best (hopefully) it can . . . leaving me to sort the intake and carbs . . . .

Comments

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
What I'm thinking is getting a quote from Andy to do the work on the motor and give the trans a "look over".

Cant hurt to give him a call but remember to budget at least $2k for the motor work. He could also have art carr rebuild the trans as he used to build the drag race ones in the 60's

Give him a call on 909-931-4612

Roadkill

Is he likely to pick up if I call him tomorrow ?

Also how many hours behind are they in CA ?

55starchief

its currently just gone 1pm so he should be there, but its andy so your guess is as good as mine

Finlay

Get him to  build a complete turn key set up.... Will save you loads

Motorama

Would bolt right in , although blows your matching numbers idea out the window. Main difference on 1960 onwards engines is the oil filter is a more modern type spin on filter located at the bottom roght hand rear of the block.
No problem with the trans, my 56 runs a motor from a 61 mated to the original trans.

Roadkill

Quoting: Motorama
Would bolt right in , although blows your matching numbers idea out the window

This is why I'm reluctant . . .

Quoting: Motorama
Main difference on 1960 onwards engines is the oil filter is a more modern type spin on filter located at the bottom roght hand rear of the block.

This would be preferred . . . I hate the canister ones.

Roadkill

ianjpage

55starchief

Hmm.

Still $100 . . . . .

Hmm . . . .

You need to cotact andy first of all mate to make sure he could a) collect it and b) has space to store it until work comences

Roadkill

He's 8 hours behind us, isn't he ?

I realise now the difference in blocks - it's as Motorama points out.

That could be quite significant . . . . . . . .

55starchief

If you want andy to go look at this you better call him as he is away from wednesday, off to florida racing at the weekend

Roadkill

I was going to call him last night but got finsihed in the garage alot later then planned.

It's gone up in price a bit so I'll watch it through the course of the day . . .

55starchief

$846.66  damn you could ship your motor to the USA for less than that

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
you could ship your motor to the USA for less than that

Yeah, but my motor is not (and cannot be) a true 390ci.

The difference in blocks is oil filter location and oil ways.

From the info i've got stroking the 365ci doesn't look like a good idea.

Shipping mine over has crossed my mind, though . . .

EDIT - Plus that was the Tranny as well . . .

sixpack2639

From the info i've got stroking the 365ci doesn't look like a good idea.

So, should I tell Brad you won't be needing the crank and rods??? He sent me an email today asking if we were still interested.