Cost of an MOT going up.

Started by F Body, October 22, 2006, 04:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

From the 1st of November 2006 the cost of an MOT is rising from £44.15 to £50.35 ( 14 % rise )

The goverment claim that the new computerised system adds
8 minutes per MOT therefore costs have to rise

Who introduced the new system and who's paying for it now [*******************************************]

Edit : What happened to the wonkers smilie ?

55starchief

The bad words filter blocks it will get it fixed

ianjpage

bloody ell have to get the project in for MOT quick smart then!!!

EDGE

yeah.... that SUCKS

i dont usually pay more than £25....

Roadkill

F*ckers.

Always robbing you at any oppurtunity.

55starchief

Couple this with the no free retest if you remove the vehicle from the test station and MOT's could get expensive

Ponti

Quoting: F Body
From the 1st of November 2006 the cost of an MOT is rising from £44.15 to £50.35 ( 14 % rise )

[*******************************************] Bloody government. At this rate you won't be able to keep a car on the road.

If this keeps up I might have to change my plans for the Pontiac.

Roadkill

I think I pay £40 . . .

Maybe it'll be £40 + a Pint, now ?

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
Maybe it'll be £40 + a Pint, now ?

i dont think they are going to be able to discount them, looks like the whole system will be computerized to keep track of how many are done and price

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
i dont think they are going to be able to discount them, looks like the whole system will be computerized to keep track of how many are done and price

That's what they said last time.

I don't mind paying full price . . . . . . . . . . . . as long as the car passes.

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill

I don't mind paying full price . . . . . . . . . . . . as long as the car passes.

Yup too right hehe

philoldsmobile

MOT's aint rocket science, just check the car thoroughly before it goes, and you should be fine, i've never had to spend much to get a car through

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

MOT's aint rocket science, just check the car thoroughly before it goes, and you should be fine, i've never had to spend much to get a car through

No but i have had a couple of failures for stupid things like too much white light from the indicators or a lamp out and the worst was empty washer bottle even though it still had some in.

The last one is another one that garages get you on when you have a service. Number of times i have demanded they refund me the £2.50 for washer fluid when i have brimmed it out so know there is no way they added any

Pod

That's a very good reason for doing 'services' yourself.

55starchief

Quoting: Pod

That's a very good reason for doing 'services' yourself.

Yeah this was when i had new cars, the chavscort gets serviced by me but my SAABs were always main dealer

philoldsmobile

Quoting: 55starchief
No but i have had a couple of failures for stupid things like too much white light from the indicators or a lamp out and the worst was empty washer bottle even though it still had some in.

when i check a car before its mot, i check everything the tester does except emissions (should never have a problem if its running right) and the brakes, although you can get a good idea by driving the car...   thats if i can be botherd to do the pre MOT check at all! so i would have found the lamp out or the faded orange bulb..

on cars i've checked, i've never had one fail... the cars i haven't checked are because i know there wont be much - if anything it will fail on, so just give the car to the garage with instructions to do whatever it needs..

fortunatley either of the two MOT stations i use know i have a pretty good idea what to expect, so dont take the piss - an honest tester is worth their weight in gold

BTW, definatley a thumbs up for paragon here - nathan is a through tester, but very fair.