Doorlock wiring

Started by Jamieg285, November 06, 2006, 05:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

Can anyone make any sense of the following diagram?

It's the factory wiring diagram for power lock for my car. I've bought the solenoids and want to wire it up, but don't quite get this.  What are the Octagonal bit supposed to be?  I figure they're some sort of switch, but I can't work out how it works, or how to replicate it.

http://www.mkb.cc/forum/index.php?action=downloadfile&topic=438&upfile=56794&sub=1\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> [img]http://www.mkb.cc/forum/index.php?action=downloadfile&topic=438&upfile=56794&sub=1\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

55starchief

Thjats the pin connector that would go on the factory switch mate

Jamieg285

I see. Does that mean I need the factory switches, or can I do it with my own?

Jamieg285

Also, is there anyway to determine how the factory switches would work(i.e. what pins are joined in what switch position - or is that guesswork?

55starchief

It would be easier with the factory switch but it is do able with standard switches

Jamieg285

Does it even need switches?  Can't you just lock them by pushing the lock down on one, activating the other?

55starchief

Quoting: Jamieg285
Does it even need switches? Can't you just lock them by pushing the lock down on one, activating the other?

No, think you would need a microswitch in the door to operate the solenoid when the lock was pushed down

Jamieg285

This is getting more and more complicated.  I thought the solenoids sent a pulse when activated, which would activate the other?

55starchief

This is getting more and more complicated. I thought the solenoids sent a pulse when activated, which would activate the other?

No mate all a solonoid does is energise a coil to pull the rod in. Its the same thing as in a door bell. the rod just floats inside the coil with no power you can push and pull it but once enegised it wont budge

Jamieg285

OK, I may have confused matters here (or it may be just me).  The bits I have bought are 'actuators'.  Does that make any differenece?

55starchief

OK, I may have confused matters here (or it may be just me). The bits I have bought are 'actuators'. Does that make any differenece?

not that i am aware of if they have more than 2 wires you might be in luck but then the wiring diagram would need to be modofied to work with them

Jamieg285

Nope 2 wire only

Guess I'm going to need to do a ton of research into what I thought was going to be easy

Rocky

The ones you got are the same as 3rd gen i will look into it for you but they should be pretty easy to rig up.

Jamieg285

I think I've sussed it now. They appear to be 2-wire reverse polarity motors.  I've found a wiring diagram involving relays that would operate them, but on reading the instruction manual from the remote recevier control unit last night, it appears that it can handle all the necessary polatrity changes internally - all I need to do is connect the wires according to the book

55starchief

I think I've sussed it now. They appear to be 2-wire reverse polarity motors. I've found a wiring diagram involving relays that would operate them, but on reading the instruction manual from the remote recevier control unit last night, it appears that it can handle all the necessary polatrity changes internally - all I need to

yes but they wont operate the other luck when you push the lock down, all that means is that with the press of either the lock/unlock button oe a remote reciever they will operate in both directions unlike a standard solonoid that is either push or pull

Jamieg285

Quoting: 55starchief
yes but they wont operate the other luck when you push the lock down, all that means is that with the press of either the lock/unlock button oe a remote reciever they will operate in both directions unlike a standard solonoid that is either push or pull

Yeah, I found that bit out too. At least I'll have some form of central locking though

Rocky

I may have some 3rd gen switches if needed.

Jamieg285

Not sure if I'm going to have any switches other than those on the remote yet.  Even if I do, I've already deciced it will be a single switch somewhere on the console that will activate both doors.