Light regulations... legal ?

Started by EDGE, December 12, 2006, 07:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDGE

(European law for motor vehicles, section 65 lighting allows red rear indicators as long as the vehicle is not manufactured in Europe, and europen law overides any UK law, so if you want to keep these indicators the way they are you must point this out to your MOT station, I use Kwik fit, they know all about this and never fail them)

does that hold any water ????

EDGE

55starchief

Whell red indicators are alowed on pre 63 cars anyways, i believe its the fact that they flash the brake light that the modern cars fail

EDGE

what about if its no longer a brake light ?

55starchief

Quoting: EDGE
what about if its no longer a brake light ?

best thing would be call VOSA and ask, they are usualy quite helpful

EDGE

EDGE

VOSA say, even though it may be legal to drive on the road, they wont pass the mot ??!?!?!?!?! well you cant drive without an mot so what gives... vosa are making their own law ?!?!?!?! wtf....

EDGE

F Body

vosa are making their own law ?!?!?!?! wtf....

About par for the course

VOSA = Plastic Police.

Traffic Officers = Plastic Police.

Community Liason Officer = Plastic Police.

Will the last real Policeman/woman please stand up

End of Rant !

Did anyone also see last Friday that the EU want GB to change our MOT requirements to match the rest of Europe ?

i.e Every Two years

Pod

and europen law overides any UK law

Really?

The MOT test says:
"that every direction indicator emits amber light, except vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 where both front indicators may be white and both rear indicators red"

EDGE

thats what we ment dude... the EU law allows red indicators, but you cant get an mot without ambers... so you could hook up ambers for the day then pull them off again i guess... although dealing with the plod/insurance could be long winded

EDGE

Roadkill

. . . does that hold any water ????

You've been reading an Ebay add for a Cadillac haven't you ?

EDGE

Rocky

I have been told (but haven't tried yet) if you put green bulbs in behind red lenses they will flash amber, Lot of the SVA places do it but charge you a fortune for the secret, Or its a load of BS

Titsy

Quoting: Rocky
if you put green bulbs in behind red lenses they will flash amber

Don't see how that would work.... The red lense filters all but the red light out, the same way that the green glass filters all but the green light out from the 'white' light coming from the element....

So if you put a green bulb behind a red filter you get...... Zip, Narda, Nothing...

It's not like mixing paint...

I'm sure Graeme can back me up from his stage lighting days....

EDGE

Rocky

Thats what i thought but havnt tried it yet, Ive done amber bulb behind red and it still shines red. Im ok though because next door has a bloke who does leds that change colour but then im not using red rear lights.

Titsy

Quoting: Rocky
Ive done amber bulb behind red and it still shines red.

Yup, I can see that happening, being as red and orange have very close wavelengths... There would be enough red light emmited to show through, but not with green....

Roadkill

Ooo, This is getting all Sientiffic.

Titsy

Quoting: Roadkill
Ooo, This is getting all Sientiffic.

Hey, You're a physics drop-out too....

EDGE

ahhh... welcome dean.... to the way filter's work.......

Jamieg285

Just find a colour blind tester. Job sorted.

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy
You're a physics drop-out too....

Drop out ?

Titsy

Roadkill

Yup, albeit not great.  I had my place at Uni, Mate, choice of Astrophysics or Astronomy . . . . I Just let it go.

I blame the Drugs and Alcohol myself.

Titsy

Roadkill

Yup.  Did Chemistry, Mechanics and Physics.

I was too "Rock n' Roll", though.