Power Steering Pump Problem?

Started by Jamieg285, January 02, 2007, 04:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

I think I might have a problem with the power steering pump.  I noticed last week that the pump was virbrating/wobbling.  Initially I thought it might have been the mounting bolts had worked loose, but it wasn't the case.  On closer inspection, it appears that there is some play in the pulley/shaft area.  I can move it 0.5-1mm in and out and I'm pretty such that shouldn't be the case.  It appears to be shaft that is moving and I am wondering if it's bearings or something else. There are no unsual noises, or leaks, and the steering is working OK.

Is this a problem, and is it likely to get worse/fail on me over time?  Any words of wisdom will be gratefully recieved.

Roadkill

Sounds like bearings to me.

Yes it will get worse if that's the case.

Roadkill

Is it the Saginaw type of pump ?

'Cos I believe a complete replacement is pretty cheap - even a shiny one.  

Jamieg285

Quoting: Roadkill
Is it the Saginaw type of pump ?

How do I tell?

Roadkill

http://www.winchesplus.com/pump.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">www.winchesplus.com/pump.jpg

Jamieg285

Roadkill

After a quick look they're around $150.

55starchief

might have a spare pump at the barn

Jamieg285

Well, the part numbers match from Firebird to Camaro, but there's lots of different ones for different years.  I need to see if there are any major differences.

Roadkill

Quoting: Jamieg285
there's lots of different ones for different years

That surprises me.  I expected them to be pretty standard.

Jamieg285

Mmm, just found on one(reconed) ebay.com for $25 (+shipping)

Jamieg285

However, I'm also now in a quandry.  I have (buried somewhere) in the garage, and quick ratio 'box that I was planning to swap in at some point.  The reason I haven't to date is that the line fittings are different (metric), and I would (at the very least) need to change the lines as well.

I'm now thinking that if I have to change the pump - should I do the whole system?

55starchief

thats a good price

Jamieg285

Quoting: 55starchief

thats a good price

Damn good, less than half of the next one up (although I didn't look to see if it included the reservoir)

Either way, I'd like to see if spare you might have would fit first. I don't really have any spare cash at the moment.

55starchief

Damn good, less than half of the next one up (although I didn't look to see if it included the reservoir)

Either way, I'd like to see if spare you might have would fit first. I don't really have any spare cash at the moment.

well i have 2 as there is the original that was butchered on to the T/A and also a second pump andy(p&s) gave me as he didnt need it on his poncho

Jamieg285

Can you bring them to the meet?  I'll take a butchers.

55starchief

Can you bring them to the meet? I'll take a butchers.

i can try but i need to keep one for the T/A

Roadkill

quick ratio 'box

As in Manual box ?

55starchief

As in Manual box ?

no you can get high ratio power boxes

Jamieg285

As in Manual box ?

No, steering box.

Jamieg285

i can try  but i need to keep one for the T/A

Ah I see. So I might need to source a new one anyway.

What's up with the original TA one then?

Roadkill

Yeah, but quick ratio for a manual rack ?

55starchief

What's up with the original TA one then?

it wasnt exactly original equipment and the install was a bodge alternator bracket

Jamieg285

Yeah, but quick ratio for a manual rack ?

???

There isn't a rack, it's a steering box.  It just has different gears inside that mean less turns of the steering wheel for lock to lock - i.e. performance steering.

Jamieg285

it wasnt exactly original equipment and the install was a bodge alternator bracket

Worth a look or not?  Is it the same style pump?