Why go for a generic 350ci

Started by 55starchief, January 02, 2007, 10:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

when you could have an aurora quad cam motor, no one seems to go for these motors, but they can be tuned real well and definatly make for a more interesting view when the hood is lifted at a show

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
quad cam

I'd guess that's why.

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
I'd guess that's why.

whats wrong with a quad cam motor then

Roadkill

55starchief

How many valves ?

same as the northstar as they are the same basic engine

Pod

The little I've heard about the northstar engines is that they are great when they work but cost a fortune when they break. No idea how true this actually is though.

I'd guess most people use sbc's as they are everywhere and parts are readily available and cheap.

55starchief

Quoting: Pod

I'd guess most people use sbc's as they are everywhere and parts are readily available and cheap.

yup and people are like sheep baaaaabaaaaabaaaaa

Roadkill

Quoting: Pod

May guess as well.

Controlling a 32 valve engine is gonna take an ECU etc . . etc . . hardly a drop in and fire-up.

(edited)

55starchief

Controlling a 40 valve engine is gonna take an ECU

why? the ecm doesnt control the valves thats done by a timing chain

Roadkill

yup and people are like sheep baaaaabaaaaabaaaaa

No, you're thinking of Chavs . . .

Roadkill

why? the ecm doesnt control the valves thats done by a timing chain

I know, but getting the most out of a motor like that is gonna take more then a 10-minute play with a screw-driver.

55starchief

No, you're thinking of Chavs . . .

nope people, if i see another SBC in a car other than a cheby im gonna go mad. people are just lazy

55starchief

I know, but getting the most out of a motor like that is gonna take more then a 10-minute play with a screw-driver.

it works the exact same way as any other engine, stick a carb on it and some performance cams and its done

Roadkill

people are just lazy

Maybe.

Or maybe not everyone has unlimited funding to use in the name of "trying something new".

?

If you're on a budget people want reliability and dependability.

55starchief

Maybe.

Or maybe not everyone has unlimited funding to use in the name of "trying something new".

?

If you're on a budget people want reliability and dependability.

nope its laziness or lack of vision but im going with the first, that motor would be no more unreliable than any other motor

Roadkill

So you're telling me one of those can be built at the same price as a run-off the mill tweaked SBC ?

55starchief

So you're telling me one of those can be built at the same price as a run-off the mill tweaked SBC ?

within reason yes, that motor is 275hp stock so it wouldnt take much work to make 350

Roadkill

within reason

I'd be intrigued to see how "reasonable".

55starchief

manifold and carb would be the same price, only difference would be cams but thats gonna be ballanced out by the fact you woudlnt need rockers and pushrods

Roadkill

I think availability of parts suppliers would be the main issue.

Cadillac parts (which this basically is) are always dearer.  Regardless.

HardRockCamaro

Crate 4.6L Northstar:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/228959/46L-Northstar-VVT-Crate-Engine-Assembly.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/228959/46L-Northstar-VVT-Crate-Engine-Assembly.htm

I suspect does not include the ECU and wiring harness so would be ideal for conversion to carb, not sure how the new variable valve timing would work though...

A 330HP GM 5.7L Chevy engine is about $1,000 less while requiring less work and cheaper prts to "finish".  Generates about another 60lb/ft of torque but obviously doens't rev as well.

I personally think the Northstar is one of the finest engines ever made, certainly the finest I have ever experienced (not that I've driven many V8s mind).  OK I'm biased but I'm being completely honest whemn I say it never ceases to amaze me how quiet and refined it is yet how well it revs (sounding like a tuned engine but refined).

philoldsmobile

the northstar is a brilliant engine, so why go for a crate 350?

simple, for £1299 + VAT you can have a brand new GM built 260bhp small block (not reconditioned as many 'crate' engines are)

in something like an 80's G body (as i  was going to order one for untill i bought the camaro instead) there will be no engine mount, wiring or tranny issues...

its reliable simple and proven..

also from a practicality view, you can fit a brand new crate engine into a hotrod or classic and dress it up to look 50 years old, while having the dependability of a new engine..

Finlay

Quoting: philoldsmobile
simple, for £1299 + VAT you can have a brand new GM built 260bhp small block

Hay Phil....if you shop round you can get better!!!

Last January I got my old Trans Am a brand 290 Bhp SAE rated 350 ci small block for just £1260 DELIVERED of a seller on Flebay .co.uk

Its a bargain!!!!

A 32 valve engine...... is great but $/ Performance... is it going to cut the mustard

And is it going to have that low down GRUNT that a tuned 350 Iron block has.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID & WITH A CARB..lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Roadkill

Quoting: Finlay
Last January I got my old Trans Am a brand 290 Bhp SAE rated 350 ci small block for just £1260 DELIVERED of a seller on Flebay .co.uk

55starchief

Quoting: Finlay
And is it going to have that low down GRUNT that a tuned 350 Iron block has.

its an all alloy engine, i never said it would be as cheap as a iron block 350, just different. If you priced up an all alloy 350 its gonna be the same price so why not have the 32 valve motor.

You can pick up aurora motors in the USA for about $1200-1500 which is cheap for an all alloy motor