Any GOOD chippys out there

Started by VIPER, January 08, 2007, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VIPER

Had new solid wood barn style garage doors fitted last year and in one of the doors is a small pedestrian door..But now they have settled in they are very tight,small door doesn't open at the moment and the main doors i have to open/close together as they just catch slightly..
Any help would be great..
Baz

ianjpage

VIPER

Now how would that fly its not the 1930s you know

55starchief

depending on what gaps you have a plane might not be enough, anything less than 1/8" and your probably going to need to have the doors off and get a saw on them

Roadkill

One of my Crew is a Chippy . . . He's a good bloke and I'm sure something like that would be no bother.

If you want I can ask him how much for a day's labour, cash in hand ?

This maybe be overkill, though . . . ???

VIPER

Dont think it would take a day buy you never no.....
I'll PM you my No......
Cheers
Baz

art b

our chippy does a nice piece of haddock!
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

Quoting: art b

Incursus

Quoting: art b

beat me to it

55starchief

Quoting: Incursus
beat me to it

your local chippy is run by bandits, cant believe how expensive it is

Titsy

Quoting: 55starchief
your local chippy is run by bandits, cant believe how expensive it is

You make it sound like a Mad Max film....

55starchief

Quoting: Titsy
You make it sound like a Mad Max film....

well you noticed last time you were over at mine the price difference

Incursus

Yeah slightly above average, even in MK.   Usually pretty good grub though

Titsy

Quoting: 55starchief
well you noticed last time you were over at mine the price difference

I would say that it's more a case of your chippy being cheap rather then Furzton being expensive..... The prices in Furzton are about the norm IFAIK...

Incursus

Bag 'o' chips are £1.05
Pie is £1.65 (i think)

hmmm Pie and chips tonight

Incursus

So is this counted as or not?  

55starchief

pie and chips here is £2.40

30p difference thats 12.5% more for the same thing

Big Mouse

Once all the fat bastards on here have stopped thinking about food, I think the answer to your question would be that a good chippy shouldn't need more than a couple of hours at the most to shoot the doors back down to size.

As a chippy by trade, it sounds like the timber has swollen in the cold damp weather, this is usually for one or two reasons 1) the doors were cheap and made of crap timber, or 2) the edges hadn't beeen properly sealed after they were originally fitted.

Its an easy enough job for someone competent to take just enough off so that you can use them but not too much that you have a yawning chasm of a gap once they shrink back to their 'dry' state once the weather warms up again.

VIPER

Quoting: Big Mouse
As a chippy by trade, it sounds like the timber has swollen in the cold damp weather, this is usually for one or two reasons 1) the doors were cheap and made of crap timber, or 2) the edges hadn't beeen properly sealed after they were originally fitted.

Must be option 2 then as they wasn't cheap
They have been oiled  about 5 times now but still soaking in....

Big Mouse

Quoting: VIPER
They have been oiled about 5 times now but still soaking in....

Oiling won't keep the water out of the edges of the doors, they need to be sealed especially on the edges i.e. top, bottom and sides otherwise the damp gets in and they swell up

Roadkill

Spoke to the Guy I know and he says, similar to Ray, that it's probably just the weather.

He said planing them during winter isn't very wise due to the shrinkage when the warm weather comes around.

He did also say if they were thoroughly treated something could be done now but suggested it'd be best waiting for the warmer weather, adjusting them (if needed) then treating them again to stop this happening again.

I think that makes sense . . .

VIPER

They have had teak oil soaked on them but there is a slight discolour at the joints (darker) what is best to seal them with then as i dont want them ruined..
Baz

Roadkill

I'd certainly suggest leaving them until warmer weather before making a desicion to plane them or not . . .

As far as treatment goes . . . , not sure.

Depends on the timber used as different woods respond differently to different things . .

55starchief

If they have been oiled you might have a problem getting anything to bond to the endgrain now

VIPER

Is it worth putting this on and letting it soak in to stop anything from happening??????
Baz

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/5_star_complete_overview.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/5_star_complete_overview.html