FAO Titsy, Data Logging

Started by EDGE, January 10, 2007, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDGE

Dude,

I figure you may know about this..

One of the guys inthe srs is looking for some data logging for his car, he wants AFR and boost pressure, also i think boost temp after the blower, is this stuff that race logic sell..

I've only ever used the PI stuff so I'm not sure what else is out there

Cheers

EDGE

55starchief

Im sure they do mate, i know we were looking at logging pretty much anything and everything on the T/A even things like chassis twist,atmospheric pressure,air temp etc

Then again we wont have to buy the stuff

EDGE

yeah... wel this guy will actually have to stump up some cash....

do you get a discount Tit's ??

EDGE

Titsy

We don't sell the sensors, but we do sell the logging equipment.

I'm guessing the following would be what he wants to log:

AFR - 0v to 12v
Boost Pressure - 0v - 12v
Boost Temp - Thermocouple

Our cheapest product the would achive this would be a http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/vbox/Datasheets/RLVBM01_DATA.pdf\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">VBox Mini used in conjuction with a http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/vbox/Datasheets/RLVBMIM01_DATA.pdf\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">Mini Input Module.

The VBox Min would allow him to log:
• Time
• Position (x,y)
• Speed
• Distance
• Heading
• Cornering force
• Accel/braking force
• Height
• Vertical velocity
• Yaw rate

and the Mini Input Module would ad the following:
Inputs
• 8 x 14 bit Analogue inputs
• 1 x Low-Tension RPM input
• 1 x Wheel Speed Input with gain control
• 1 x Digital State Input for event marker
• 2 x K-Type thermocouple interface
Outputs
• 1 x Digital Output
• 1 x Analogue Output

All this would be logged at 10Hz to an SD card

I know it's a little more than he intended, but it's our lower end VBox and input module. I'm guessing it might be worth logging RPM to compare the boost pressure to the blower input drive speed, and there may be other things he could log such as the TPS.

From our November price list this would be £1395 + VAT

Hope all this helps, I can PM you my email address at work if you/he wants any more info or you can ask here...

Titsy

Quoting: EDGE
do you get a discount Tit's ??

I get a healthy discount, but it would be obvious if I started buying stuff for people....

EDGE

thanks for the info dude... i wouldnt expect you to get this guy a discount... just me

ill paste that on to the site... cheers dude

I quite fancy a full data logging on the Saleen, but seeing as there are SOOOO many things I want to log, I can see it being WAY too expensive..

EDGE

55starchief

Titsy you want to figure out what sensors we will need for the T/A then i can start ordering them from RS amongst bits for work

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill

More like, do you want to work out what you want to monitor....?

Then we can work from there...

alternativly you could log in as you rather than roadkill, but remember to log out sausage boy

Titsy

More like, do you want to work out what you want to monitor....?

Then we can work from there...

55starchief

Well im guessing that it should include the standard things

oil pressure
water temp
fuel pressure

then to keep some kind of referencing

Ambient temp
RPM
Elevation

i would like to try and figure a way to measure weight transfer as this could be handy when making changes to suspension settings

What else can you think of, you must have logged some stuff on the cigar

Titsy

Quoting: 55starchief
Elevation

55starchief

yeah elevation will make a diffrence on how the carb works, remember we are running at 2 different tracks

Pod

oil pressure
water temp
fuel pressure

Isn't that what gauges are for?
I can't see much reason for logging those, as opposed to watching what they are 'right now'.

Titsy

Altitude above mean sea level is one of the standard variables that is logged by all VBoxes...

55starchief

Quoting: Pod

I can't see much reason for logging those, as opposed to watching what they are 'right now'.

both oil and fuel pressure can and wil change on a run, you could find oil pressure droping of at high rpm which would then lead to premature failure of the engine.

I dont want to have to watch gauges im gonne be concentrating on driving

Pod

yeah elevation will make a diffrence on how the carb works, remember we are running at 2 different tracks

See, that's what I mean. Yes, the elevation at each track may be different, but they aren't ever going to change. Or at least if they do, you'll have much bigger problems to worry about.

Titsy

fuel pressure

You would need to fit a sensor for this... The others could be monitord Using the factory fit sensors....
Might want to use thermocouples for the temperature though... Would need to be type K...

55starchief

Quoting: Titsy

Altitude above mean sea level is one of the standard variables that is logged by all VBoxes...

cool

You would need to fit a sensor for this... The others could be monitord Using the factory fit sensors....
Might want to use thermocouples for the temperature though... Would need to be type K...

yeah that shouldnt be a problem i want to fit a fuel pressure gauge anyways

Pod

you could find oil pressure droping of at high rpm which would then lead to premature failure of the engine.

I dont want to have to watch gauges im gonne be concentrating on driving

But you'd be watching the gauges for that exact reason.
You don't want to get to the end of the track, look back at the logs and say "oh look, I had no oil pressure from half track onwards".

Titsy

Quoting: Pod
See, that's what I mean. Yes, the elevation at each track may be different, but they aren't ever going to change. Or at least if they do, you'll have much bigger problems to worry about.

I did think that myself.... An OS map will tell you that before you even leave home....

55starchief

Oil pressure changes as the car moves, you might drop pressure at 5k and not notice as the motor revs past that. Better to have to much info than not enough. If you have the ability to log it then why not?

Titsy

Stratford Raceway - 42m above mean sea level
SantaPod Raceway - 104m above mean sea level

55starchief

cool that from google earth?

Titsy

55starchief

cool no need to make any changes, most carbs are jetted at sea level then for every 2000' increase you drop a jet size