FAO Titsy, Data Logging

Started by EDGE, January 10, 2007, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pod

Quoting: Titsy
Stratford Raceway - 42m above mean sea level
SantaPod Raceway - 104m above mean sea level

Cool, so even if global warming is true and the ice caps melt, there's a good chance we can still go drag racing.

art b

thought you guys would like this,....... dunno if ya could log it though..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifqpYyo48Y&mode=related&search\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifqpYyo48Y&mode=related&search
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

55starchief

thtas cool as hell, having been close to F1 engines that would have been deafening. Looks like they were over fueling it for the hell of it

Titsy

Quoting: 55starchief
Looks like they were over fueling it

The flame looked quite blue to me... Would say it was about right....

55starchief

The flame looked quite blue to me... Would say it was about right....

you could be right, in bright daylight you wouldnt see it

EDGE

you're DEFINATELY going to want to measure and log rear and front suspension travel... id measure all 4 corners personally..

you'd also need rpm, spark advance, fuel pressure, oil pressure, lamda, speed, time, g and all the temps, oil, water, transmission fluid and i'd measure fuel temp too...

still.... ive only ever datalogged world touring cars so money isnt usually a problem .... im sure if it was my money i wouldnt log it all

55starchief

Exactly what I was thinking. If its just buying a few sensors why not. Was thinking of bonding some strain guages onto each side of the suspension arms up front and the leaf springs to measure weight transfer. What you reckon?

Pod

Is this all included in your car's budget, Graeme?

55starchief

Well seeing as the sender units would be free

EDGE

i wouldnt use strain gages, id use linear potentiometers, that way you get a very accurate measurement of vertical travel, which, lets face it, is what you'd need....

id also put a wheel speed sensor on each wheel, then you can see what the diff is doing and see what heappens to front wheel velocity if the wheels lift..

Titsy

If you intend to fit wheel speed sensors then I would suggest getting some reluctors laser cut with at least 20 divisions per revolution, if not more...

55starchief

Well the rear end is a posi so should only need one speed sensor there as for the fronts I'm sure something can be sorted. Titsy the sensors would need to be hall effect right?

Titsy

Quoting: 55starchief
Well the rear end is a posi so should only need one speed sensor there

It might be worth picking this up from the tail section of the trans, or from the ringgear in the diff then...

55starchief

It might be worth picking this up from the tail section of the trans, or from the ringgear in the diff then...

yeah thats what i was thinking, am hoping the ring gear might have the ribs on it other wise it will need moding

Titsy

I was thinking more that you could pick up off of the gear teeth myself....

55starchief

I was thinking more that you could pick up off of the gear teeth myself....

yeah could do, would need to see how they are located etc

EDGE

i'd dtill use a reluctor ring on the wheels, and on bot rears, that way you'll know if your posi is posi-ing or if, on the sly, you've got the one wheel squeel.....  now a spool or a welded diff would be a different matter

EDGE

55starchief

EDGE

something like that yeah...

55starchief

Have just called them and the guy recomended the industrial units as they are slightly cheaper. A 4" stroke unit is about £150

Titsy

That kinda what I expected them to cost....

55starchief

That kinda what I expected them to cost....

yeah i was only trying to kid myslef they would be less that company has a good selection of sender units and being at towcester they are local as well

Priority at the moment is to get the car running before i start spending money on extra senders.

There might be a way to use the smalle linear units with ome clever engineering and thus reduce the overal costs

Titsy

I have shed loads of the rotational pots shown below, they are ex-Cosworth ones that I aquired a while back...

Would be good for TPS...

EDGE

again, my experience is only with the high end ones so that looks fairly cheap to me..

EDGE