Can anyone identify this engine number ?

Started by Roadkill, January 22, 2007, 11:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Supposed to be from a '59 Caddy (390ci)

96K107395

Pod

Does this help?
It has a bit about id numbers and engine numbers about 2/3 way down.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1950/cad59s.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1950/cad59s.htm

"    * Serial numbers now used a three symbol prefix.
   * The first pair of numerical symbols "58" designated model year.
   * A one-letter alphabetical code (included as part of model number in charts below) indicated model and series.
   * Each prefix was followed by the consecutive unit number which started at 000001 and up.
   * The serial number was located at the front of the lefthand frame side bar.
   * Motor serial numbers again matched and were found on the center lefthand side of the block above the oil pan.
"

Jamieg285

Roadkill

I saw :

The motor serial number system adopted in 1958 was used again with numbers in the same physical locations.
The first pair of symbols changed to "59" to designate model year.
The third symbol (a letter listed as a Body Style Number suffix in charts below) identified model and series.
Consecutive unit numbers began at 000001 and up

But the "96" makes no sense . . .

My '58 is 58-L-****** . . .

Roadkill

Hmm . . . So it came from a low-end 6-window 4-Door.

But where did the guy get the 96 from ? - that nothing like "59" . . Or "60" or "61" for that matter . . .

Motorama

could just be the casting number, is the guy looking in the right place

although 'K' does denote a sedan

maybe it was all gunked up and he couldnt make it out

Roadkill

Quoting: Motorama
could just be the casting number, is the guy looking in the right place

To quote the seller : "Hello the stamped number on the block is 96K107395 the cast Number is 1469230 Thanks"

Basically the guy's selling a 390ci stateside from a '59 (supposedly) . . .

I'm after upgrading my '58 with a 390ci but having it worked on in the U.S.

As far as I can tell the 390ci's had the "spin-on" oil filters (which is what I'm particularly after) but I don't know what year these were introduced . . .

Motorama

59 390's have the element type oil filter at the front/top of the block the same as a 58.

60 onwards 390's have the spin on oil filter located at the lower rear of the block R/H side

Roadkill

60 onwards 390's have the spin on oil filter located at the lower rear of the block R/H side

I'd guessed as much as in the picture it clearly showed the space for the oil canister on the top.

<shudder> Horrible things.

So - it's a '60 / '61 block I'm after.

Cool, Ta.

And thanks, Pod, for the link - I used to have it on my old works PC but was deleted when it was upgraded.

sixpack2639

Dean, according to the info on this site http://www.yanktanks.co.uk/bg-files/bg-cadillac5964.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.yanktanks.co.uk/bg-files/bg-cadillac5964.htm the format of the S/N is correct but the first 2 numbers were obviously copied wrong. Carl

Motorama

My 56 Conv runs a fully rebuilt 390 from a 61. It pulls like a train, much better than the 365 (also rebuilt) in my old 56 Sdean De Ville.
It should run even better soon as i'm overhauling the carb and fitting a Pertronix over the next few weeks.

Roadkill

Love the Bat-wing air cleaners.

Is that the Rochester Carb on that or the Carter ?

Motorama

If i'm honest i havent looked. I've got kits for both on the shelf from when i had a 60 Caddy Convertible a few years ago. I've also got a brand new Edelbrock carb in the trunk if its beyond repair/rebuild.
I'll have a look in the morning

Roadkill

I'll have a look in the morning

No biggie.  Just curious.  Mine's a Rochester 4GC (or something ?) - I was just curious if yours was the other on how it "performs".

I've got a rebuild for mine, too, but it's likely I'll rebuild it and keep it spare with the manifold when I go tri-carb.