Main Menu

Audio upgrade

Started by CJ-IROCZ, February 21, 2007, 04:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ-IROCZ

Anyone upgraded their audio set up from std in a thirdgen ??

I'm not after a Kick ass system just a little something better than the original set up. the dash speakers seem preaty lame and the rears are not that much better.

So what have you done to yours ??

VIPER

The rears are 6"x9"s so thats an easy one.....
Not sure on the fronts but the dash lifts of easy enough....
Baz

CJ-IROCZ

Cheers pal .

sounds good . any idea on what are the better makes around lately ? it was always pioneer when i was into all that stuff

VIPER

Always been a Kenwood man myself..
But hear infinaty are up there with the best....
And there not realy rears as they are in the B post..

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: VIPER
And there not realy rears as they are in the B post

The headunit the car came with is Kenwood so i'll keep the speakers the same if its generally still a good brand.

CJ-IROCZ

Anyone know the size of the fronts ?

VIPER

Just to add mine was a 1992....

FUBAR

Quoting: Fin170703
Anyone know the size of the fronts ?

I will have JBL 'GTO6427' 6x4s in the Dash of mine, and matching JBL 6x9s in the rear, the rear ones were swapped out of my old car but I need to sort out the amp thats blown in the boot... when i have the money.

those speakers worked fine on their own in my old car (had the same setup) with an aftermarket headunit. without any amps.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rob

Renwed all the T/A monsoon speakers from these guys.....

http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk

I went for Pioneer in the end and done all apart from the tweeters for about £80.....

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: FUBAR
I will have JBL 'GTO6427' 6x4s in the Dash of mine

So thats the std size for dash speakers then Ryan ?

Rocky

I go Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer and Infinity. Infinity do the best speakers for a 3rd gen if you dont want to do alot of modifications ie sound deadning, new boxes etc.

FUBAR

So thats the std size for dash speakers then Ryan ?

Yup any 6" x 4" speakers will fit.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

HardRockCamaro

I'd agree with Rocky.  I had that setup on my ocus and it sounded ace.

My IROC has the standard speakers and a low end Kenwood CD.
The Kenwood got binned and I bnought an Alpine head unit with the iPod CD changer adapter.
The speakers were replaced with Lanzar 6x9s in the rear and I think they were 4" ones in the front (might have been 5, I can't remember).

The Lanzars have big magnets and the 6x9s just about went in.
The front were a problem.  Although billed as a universal OE replacement, the maro's speakers are very shallow.  The Lanzars were too deep.  So I had to have mdf spacers made to lift them 1/2" or 3/4" or whatever it was so they would just about fit in the gap.  And lickilu for me, that's all the spare space there was under the dashpad.  In short, it's tight.

I'm still not happy with the sound though.
Due to the woeful front speakers (size and lack of depth) the car needs a sub to pull the base out of them and ideally the speakers should have an external amp.

EDGE

the big magnets on the lanzars did make it arkward....

it does sound way better than it did though.... could defiantely do with a sub, although then you'd loose ALL the trunk space...

I had soley Rockford Fosgate in my focus and it sounded amazing !

2 12" subs in the boot, 6" and 1" components in the front, all running off rockford amps and it was by far, the best setup i had.....

EDGE

CJ-IROCZ

I asked my brother he's 21 and into the whole modding scene

He said that Alpine is the way to go and that my Kenwood head unit is a bag shit

so Apline it is i reckon, he's talking about subs and all sorts of bollocks but i'm buggered if i know where i would fit it all on a thirdgen

VIPER

Funny enough even though i was a kenwood man i have an Alpine in the dodge,Only because it had a stock alpine in there so no need to cut the wires when fitting the new one.....

55starchief

Working in the industry i tend avoid any of the main stream stuff. It pisses me of that a set of infinity Kappa's cost about $3 from china (actually have catalogs showing them) but sell for over £100. I usualy just order up units from my suppliers and custom fit them to the application. Just ask shifty the system i put in his pug was awesome and not a single chinese drive unit in the system. Only units from the UK and norway

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: 55starchief
infinity Kappa's cost about $3 from china (actually have catalogs showing them)

Viper he wasn't reffering to all Kenwoods , he was just insulting my " bottom end bag of crap "

Rocky

Alpine have always done nice headunits, Rockford is the way to go if you want power, Kenwood are ok good on price but quality dues lack when compared to others, Im sitting next to about 10k worth of equipment as we speak shame i havnt got a car to put it in. Im actually making conversion plates for putting up to a 6" driver in the dash of a 3rd gen. Will have pictures soon.

CJ-IROCZ

Got anything for sale audio wise rocky

Rocky

Well most of it is for my BMW but probably wont bother with that now most of the Alpine stuff is for the Camaro but will use the Rockford Amps etc in that now, What sort of kit you after i have about 12 Amps but they are pretty big, 12" subs. 8" subs. 15's,

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: Rocky
What sort of kit you after i have about 12 Amps but they are pretty big, 12" subs. 8" subs. 15's,

You lost me at "what "

I think i need to look into this a bit more i defo need 6x9's and 6x4's though. you got anything ??

CJ-IROCZ

Is it worth using an amp with a shite headunit or would i be pissing in the wind

EDGE

Quoting: Rocky
Rockford is the way to go if you want power

yup... it sounded absolutely awesome in mine, its all about matching the system together.  No point having everything top end and then having a shite headunit, or bying a lanzar sub and hanging it off a top end amp.  

Just like heads matching cams matching intake manifolds.....

then you got the cables to worry about....

gets very expensive to do it what I would call properly....

VIPER

Viper he wasn't reffering to all Kenwoods , he was just insulting my " bottom end bag of crap "

No worries mate......
i havn't been into the audio scene for a long time 5 or 6 years...
Had a carlton GSI 3000 when i was 21 and that hadfull system in it including a faulse floor to hide every thing..And it had the same kenwood speakers as the Mclaren F1..  £2 coin on the boot spoiler and it would flip off.......