Here begins my quest for two wheels . . .

Started by Roadkill, May 01, 2007, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Quoting: Rocky
If you need a cool bike then you know were to come.

Gonna start of with something I don't mind laying down a few times I reckon.

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill
Theory test is booked for the 15 May @ 4pm.

Buy this week's Motor Cycle news

There's a few articles about taking your CBT and test ( which does alter in 2008 ). Also an artical about a six day full test course for £549 - big bike here you come

:bike wheelie smiley:

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
Buy this week's Motor Cycle news

Roadkill

Thanks, BTW, Martyn for bringing me the MCN on Sunday.

Just been to http://www.2pass.co.uk/theory.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.2pass.co.uk/theory.htm and did a few practise theory tests . . . .

After a dismal first attempt of 29/35 my next four attempts were passes - 31,34,34,34.

Gonna get a 35 if it kills me !

More practise tomorrow.

Jamieg285

Martyn, didn't you say that your bike has a non-standard gear shift pattern?  

If so, that's more likely to cause confusion than assistance  

Roadkill

Got scores of 34,33 and 35 () today.

Also read-up on the Hazard Perception Test . . . - They don't make passing easy !

Roadkill

Theory and Hazzard test today.

Admittedly I could've done some more theory based revision but I think the difficult one will be the Hazzard test . . .

EDGE

good luck duder....

shame you didnt drive to london last weekend, thats the ULTIMATE hazzard perception revision......

Roadkill

Quoting: EDGE
shame you didnt drive to london last weekend, thats the ULTIMATE hazzard perception revision......

I've tackled London loads of times (family live in Hackney).

That's what "grinds my gears" - I've been driving for years - you'd think I'd know potential hazzards by now wouldn't you ?

Jamieg285

That's what "grinds my gears" - I've been driving for years - you'd think I'd know potential hazzards by now wouldn't you ?

That depends on if they differ for the bike test.

You have to think/drive differently when on a bike.

Roadkill

Quoting: Jamieg285
That depends on if they differ for the bike test.

From what I've been told they don't.

The theory is different - fair enough, but I think the Hazzard test is the same.

Roadkill

Just did two DSA approved mock theories . . .35 and 33.

Still think it'll be the Hazzard thing that Fooks me.

F Body

Still think it'll be the Hazzard thing that Fooks me.

Well that is the most important thing when riding a bike, knowing what some numpty is going to do before they even think about doing it !

Basically just think worst case senario, so don't assume that the vehicle or child etc will stop, assume they are not going too and click to say it's a hazard

Roadkill

PASSED the theory . . . step one over with . . .

ianjpage

F Body

I wouldn't use an open face helmet but if you must, this one is cool

http://www.nexx-helmets.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.nexx-helmets.co.uk/

Roadkill

That's not my bag . . . I'll be looking for one as plain as possible - don't like the patterned ones . .

Gonna speak to the guy I emailed a little while back re the instant access test . . . .

F Body

I'll be looking for one as plain as possible - don't like the patterned ones . .

Yes I thought that but plain black or white are a lot more exspensive that a patterned one

So you pay more for less

Titsy

Can't you spray one with some of G-Units Nomex hardcore paint stuff?

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
So you pay more for less

Typical . . . I've been looking at some on eBay - they're very cheap . . . . . . What's wrong with them.

F Body

Typical . . . I've been looking at some on eBay - they're very cheap . . . . . . What's wrong with them.

It all comes down to which standard the helmet is ?

To make buying a helmet as confusing as possible, there are at least four standards a street motorcycle helmet can meet. The USA  DOT standard, called FMVSS 218, the European standard, called ECE 22-05, accepted by more than 50 countries.
The the BSI 6658 Type A standard from Britain ( Gold Standard mandatory at track days & motor sport and lastly the Snell M2000/M2005 standard, a voluntary, private standard used primarily in the U.S.
As I see it the ECE 22-05 was invented by the Japanese for world marketing based on the old British standard ( one below gold ). They cost anywhere from £25 uo to £200.
I'd recommend a BSI 6658 Gold standard as mine is, they start from about    
£45 right up to £800 depending somewhat on spec ( air vents / visors etc ) and paying for the name like Shoei & Arial who sponser all the top race riders.

Roadkill

So if I wanted to get one to cover in-car use as well (now that 100mph on the strip requires one) would I be able to get one to cover both uses.

Or are motorcycle helmets different to those used in automotive motorsports ?

F Body

Or are motorcycle helmets different to those used in automotive motorsports ?

Yes and No !

They are the same for track days and what I'd call club motorsports, but when moving up to F3 and drag racing etc they are different, they have to be more fireproof and some need the brackets for the "hans" neck protectors that they now wear.

Probably something on the Interweb thingy about the different standards ??

Roadkill

I'd guess that RWYB events aren't THAT strict though . . . ?

. . . At least not yet ?

Jamieg285

One rule when buying helmets - buy the best you can afford - not just what you can get away with.

It's designed to do a job, and you want to be damn sure it does it should the need arise (Hopefully not though)

If you are even remotely considering any sort of motorsport, even if RWYB, check to see what specs they require.  Fireproof ones are required by a number of categories, and these are a bit harder to find, less choice, more expense - but if you've done the research 1st, then you won't have to buy two.