Speeders to be DNA tested.

Started by F Body, August 06, 2007, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Seeing as the Government has decided that Speeding is the No.1 criminal offence, they have now decided that they are going to be DNA tested and the results held on the Polices DNA database

There excuse for this is " pressure to expand the scope of the national DNA database after a government watchdog found it to be mostly full of black males and children under 10 "

Wonder why that is

NB : You will also get DNA tested for dropping litter

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/August/aug01-05/august0207speedingmotoristscouldbednatested/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/August/aug01-05/august0207speedingmotoristscouldbednatested/

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
There excuse for this is " pressure to expand the scope of the national DNA database after a government watchdog found it to be mostly full of black males and children under 10 "

Surely it's full of people who commit crime ?

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill
Surely it's full of people who commit crime ?

Exactly but....................

Seeing as they can't be bothered to catch real criminals, speeders and litter bugs will do

Flip Martian

I'm not usually one to bang the "infringement of civil liberties" drum but this is really taking the piss!!!

Cunning Plan

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Kenny

I have no problem with the cops having my DNA... the only peeps who should be worried are the "proper" criminals, and if it helps get rapists and kiddyfiddlers off the streets then its all good

F Body

Quoting: Kenny
I have no problem with the cops having my DNA...

Well I have a big problem and not because of any crime I have or will commit, I just don't believe that the systems are foolproof.
Sorry your DNA matches therefore you ARE guilty, I can see them determining in a few years time that certain types of DNA mean that you are more likely to commit an offence and where do we go from there
If you can't trust the Government to proportionally address speeding what hope have we got with regards to DNA

Titsy

And just wait till the insurance companies get their grubby mits on it all.... "Sorry sir, we can't give you a mortgage because there's a 22.7% chance you'll develope heart disease; and your can't get life assurance..."

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy
And just wait till the insurance companies get their grubby mits on it all.... "Sorry sir, we can't give you a mortgage because there's a 22.7% chance you'll develope heart disease; and your can't get life assurance..."

This is true.

I also remember reading an article a few years back, in the Mail I believe, about a guy who was arrested for stealing items from a church based on DNA found.

Turns out the guy had never even been to said church or even the town it was in . . . on the day of the thefts he had a solid aliby.

Kenny

Quoting: Roadkill
I also remember reading an article a few years back, in the Mail I believe, about a guy who was arrested for stealing items from a church based on DNA found.

Turns out the guy had never even been to said church or even the town it was in . . . on the day of the thefts he had a solid aliby.

well there is a 1 in 10^13 chance of someone unrelated giving the same DNA results... though with human error that can jump down to 1 in a million.

F Body

Quoting: Kenny
though with human error that jumps down to 1 in a million.

and most of us have a punt on the Lottery at 40 million to one

Titsy

and most of us have a punt on the Lottery at 40 14 million to one

F Body

Quoting: Titsy
and most of us have a punt on the Lottery at 40 14 million to one

My bad

Still you'll be 14 times more likely to be convicted of an offence you didn't commit than winning the Lottery

HardRockCamaro

I don't agree with this at all.
Why do they need your DNA for speeding or any other motoring offence?

A complete roadmap of my genetic makeup?  For what???

Pod

Not only that, it's only a matter of time before your DNA is linked to your identity card.