Main Menu

Project Monster BBQ

Started by 55starchief, January 18, 2006, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUBAR

Quoting: F Body
I've got a man with a red flag on mine

Allows you to direct manuvering aircraft whilst driving...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
towing is not on my driving licence

Ditto - Which is a good point as I was looking into the possibility of a pick-up . . . .

F Body

towing is not on my driving licence

Being of the generation where we drove 250cc bikes on L plates
I forget that they brought all these rules in for newer drivers

How do you get a towing licence

F Body

From the DivvyLA :

All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.

Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E and all larger vehicles. In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards

UPGRADING ENTITLEMENT FOR TRAILERS
In general, an additional driving test is required for each category or subcategory of entitlement. But there are certain exceptions to this where drivers have already passed one test which involves trailer entitlement for a larger or equivalent sized vehicle.

This means that passing a test for subcategory C1+E or D1+E upgrades category B entitlement to B+E.

Jeeze should reduce the number of caravans on the road

Roadkill

So about a dozen extra tests, then.

ianjpage

Quoting: F Body
The biggest problem will be finding something to tow it ?

PhilO's Astro has gone, Ian's thinking about changing his and I can't fit a tow bar on the GMC coz of the body kit & low height.

Anybody else fancy a tow bar ?

I aint getting rid of a van altogether so am fine to keep towing it

Quoting: 55starchief

Ian will still have a tow bar unless hes getting rid of his caravan as well

Exactly!

philoldsmobile

perhaps it may be an idea to look into an old volvo estate (about £100 worth) to use as an MKB hack?

an old 740 is a very reliable car, but heavy duty enough for not only towing, but also for carying around engines and parts..

this would be ideal....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-VOLVO-740-GLE-ESTATE_W0QQitemZ280013133277QQihZ018QQcategoryZ9872QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-VOLVO-740-GLE-ESTATE_W0QQitemZ280013133277QQihZ018QQcategoryZ9872QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

55starchief

Right

Show season is almost upon us again and the BBQ needs some work if it is to look its best this year.

We still need to finish the trim, refit the lid and add a handle. The trailer section needs to be finished with the wiring and some safety chains added as the camlocs arnt the best.

Can we please have some volunteers to help finish these bits.

Titsy

Sure, when you thinking?

As a side line, we need to think about where the BBQ is going to live after G-Unit moves to Towcester... Any Ideas?

55starchief

Quoting: Titsy

Sure, when you thinking?

Well shifty and myself are there most weekends

ianjpage

OK i could be up there sunday to do work on it - few Q's though...

1 - Do we have a new replacement hinge?
2 - Is there a grinder with cutting disc at the barn to redo the hole?
3 - Do we have a handle for it?
4 - Do we have the chains for the back flap?
5 - What wiring is there??

55starchief

Quoting: ianjpage

sunday is the meet mate

1 - Do we have a new replacement hinge? No we need to fabricate something as i cant find hinges that will stand up to the heat
2 - Is there a grinder with cutting disc at the barn to redo the hole? yes and no, i have a grinder but chances are we will be using it on the T/A i do have plenty of cutting discs though
3 - Do we have a handle for it? Nope need to fabricate something
4 - Do we have the chains for the back flap?pretty sure i have some jack chain left from hanging the lights
5 - What wiring is there??wiring is done just needs a quick connect to make the number plate lights work and clip the wiring up

ianjpage

sunday is the meet mate

Yeah not until 3 though - that means the morning / early arvo is nice n free!

No we need to fabricate something as i cant find hinges that will stand up to the heat

Ahh bugger.....surely there must be some out there??

yes and no, i have a grinder but chances are we will be using it on the T/A i do have plenty of cutting discs though

OK...could be interesting then.....anyone got another one?

Nope need to fabricate something

Fair enough

pretty sure i have some jack chain left from hanging the lights
pretty sure i have some jack chain left from hanging the lights

wiring is done just needs a quick connect to make the number plate lights work and clip the wiring up

55starchief

Yeah not until 3 though - that means the morning / early arvo is nice n free!

I cant make the sunday as i need to go check on my new place before the meet

Ahh bugger.....surely there must be some out there??

Not that i can find, they need to be large and everything i can find is just to small. What it reall needs is some steel bent over and a piece of bar slid through. I will do a drawing and see if philo can get it made up at work

ianjpage

I cant make the sunday as i need to go check on my new place before the meet

Ahh ok maybe next w/end then - might give us time to organise another grinder

Not that i can find, they need to be large and everything i can find is just to small. What it reall needs is some steel bent over and a piece of bar slid through. I will do a drawing and see if philo can get it made up at work

Hmm yeah might be an idea

FUBAR

1 - Do we have a new replacement hinge? No we need to fabricate something as i cant find hinges that will stand up to the heat

Would something like this stand up to it as its stainless and the pivot is off the surface?

http://www.juststainless.co.uk/asp/hinges.asp\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.juststainless.co.uk/asp/hinges.asp

£5 each BTW... from there anyway but i'm sure ome of us knows somewhere  I can put some time in BTW

FUBAR

The crucial thing with these is that the Pivots all need to be in line! that was the problem with the last lot more than the heat, they weren't lined up.

edit: or these:

http://www.a2a4.co.uk/acatalog/STAINLESS_STEEL_HINGES.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.a2a4.co.uk/acatalog/STAINLESS_STEEL_HINGES.html

55starchief

Im looking at some industrial gate hinges, they will take a hell of a lot of abuse

like these

FUBAR

The strap hinges on the 2nd link look good, good grade of stainless too.

55starchief

The strap hinges on the 2nd link look good, good grade of stainless too.

problem is all those type of hinge ar just too small, the gate ones above have a huge area to weld them to the tank

philoldsmobile

those gate hinges are gonna warp to the moon and back..

the T strap hinges are plenty strong enough and look good

Titsy

Would something like this stand up to it as its stainless and the pivot is off the surface?

They look just the ticket...

The crucial thing with these is that the Pivots all need to be in line! that was the problem with the last lot more than the heat, they weren't lined up.

Indeed... The holes that are there at the moment could all do with filling with weld and grinding back ready for a fresh set...

wiring is done just needs a quick connect to make the number plate lights work and clip the wiring up

I'll see if we have anything at work for this if you have a look see how many ways go to the hatch...

Ahh ok maybe next w/end then - might give us time to organise another grinder

I cant make next sunday as I'm paintballing, but the Saturday should be clear...

55starchief

Well if some one wants to buy hinges and bolt them then do it, the gate hinges in my opinion will work best as they dont need to be presition aligned

FUBAR

Well if some one wants to buy hinges and bolt them then do it

I'll sort something out m8.

Titsy

If they are upto the job then the plus side would be that we can remove the lid when cooking should we want to...