Main Menu

Project Monster BBQ

Started by 55starchief, January 18, 2006, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUBAR

Quoting: EDGE
im sure b & q sell really long mild steel hinges that you cut to length.....

Like a Piano Hinge...  the trouble is i'm not convinved it would stand up to the heat...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

art b

Quoting: Jamieg285
3 inch butt hinges.

he he he ,he said butt      .......
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

I was in the Dunstable Discount Shop this morning and they had those large heavy duty hardened steel door hinge padlock mounts, the ones you see on the back of Pikey Vans £1.99p each ( similar to picture below ).

Throw away the padlock hoop and weld four of the suckers on - job done for £7.96

ianjpage

FUBAR

I honestly don't think that what is designed as purely a cover for bolts on a padlock will stand up to the heat /  use of being hinges for the BBQ lid, you also have to consider that the hinges we use for this have to be designed to work between a 180deg angle and zero.  Things like gate hinges are designed to work between 90deg and zero and sit well proud of a flat surface (between the body and lid when closed)

F Body

Quoting: FUBAR
I honestly don't think that what is designed as purely a cover for bolts on a padlock will stand up to the heat / use of being hinges for the BBQ lid

May well be the case, but there about 10mm thick hardened steel and would have as good a chance as anything else you can buy

FUBAR

Right... Something is actually being done to the BBQ this weekend when myself & Ian go over to the barn on Sunday:

- Stacks are coming off to be refurb'd by PhilO
- Tank is being degreased & preped for a fresh coating of VHT Black paint.
- Lid is coming off ready for new hinges which i'm sourcing as we speak (awaiting for response from supplier re: Heat Tolerance) which will definately be mounted in a straight line...

A few other things that spring to mind that need doing:

- New Brakes!!
- New Jockey Wheel
- Replacement Charcoal Grill (Idea in on this using solid Mild Steel Bar)
- Replacement Cooking Grill (I have an idea for this but its probably not cheap as it involves making it from Solid Stainless Bar...) this is not urgent at all TBH
- A nicer looking Handle arrangement (again not urgent)

ianjpage

- Replacement Charcoal Grill (Idea in on this using solid Mild Steel Bar)

Best thing after chatting to phil/dean is angle mild steel - will measure up this weekend and get philo to get some and then we'll get a welding a new grill up

Roadkill

Something is actually being done to the BBQ

Surely not !

which will definately be mounted in a straight line...

I've also got some ideas . . . . . . . I may come along.

Incursus

I would join you but I really must finish start the two assignment that are due on Friday

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill

Surely not !

yeah well after we dopne ryan's car at least lol

OK but speak now as ryan is/will be ordering hings

ianjpage

OK re the charcole grill i thought somethink like either of the below, made out of the angle steel, all welded up, should be strong enough to resist warping.

the top would need to be covered in a strong mesh (again welded to the agle steel), but other than that - comments / thoughts / suggestions....

F Body

Quoting: ianjpage
OK re the charcole grill i thought somethink like either of the below, made out of the angle steel, all welded up, should be strong enough to resist warping.

the top would need to be covered in a strong mesh (again welded to the agle steel), but other than that - comments / thoughts / suggestions....

B&Q sell heavy cast iron ceramic coated grill plates, I bought two and disc cut about 2" off one end to fit our BBQ. I think they were about £15 each

ianjpage

Quoting: F Body

B&Q sell heavy cast iron ceramic coated grill plates,

Is that for the food to be cooked on cos this is the the coals to sit on...

FUBAR

hinges which will definately be mounted in a straight line...

This Link: http://www.a2a4.com/acatalog/copy_of_WELD_ON_HINGES.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.a2a4.com/acatalog/copy_of_WELD_ON_HINGES.html
The Part: WELD ON HINGE WITH 3 LEAVES 14 X 147mm ART 8130

They're Stainless & basically what I plan to do is comission PhilO to weld the 3 hinges to 2 strips of Stainless (3mm think?, either way sturdy, but not too think as to look stupid) which is then in turn welded or bolted to each side of the hinged join on the outside of the Tank.

This will essentially then create a entirely new (DEAD STRAIGHT) hinged joint superceeding the old wonky cut underneath.   It will also hide it and the old hinge holes quite nicely too.

I see no reason why this won't work perfectly.

F Body

Is that for the food to be cooked on cos this is the the coals to sit on...

Well I think they are designed for the food to be cooked on, but I used them for the coals to sit on

FUBAR

Or there's this... which is basically what i've just described already made up... (not cheap tho...) but probably on par with the other plan...

Continuous Hinge 304G
100mm open x 8mm pin x 3mm thick per 1820mm
Part No:::JSPC10 £60.85 each

http://www.juststainless.co.uk/products/hinges.asp\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.juststainless.co.uk/products/hinges.asp

FUBAR

Handle...

Reckon 2 of these would take the heat? they're not cast from monkey metal like the old ones were...

ø25mm 60° End Stanchion
Part No:::JSLB08 £10.75 each

http://www.juststainless.co.uk/products/handrail/handrail_25mm.asp\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.juststainless.co.uk/products/handrail/handrail_25mm.asp

They do a middle one too.

F Body

100mm open x 8mm pin x 3mm thick per 1820mm

Gotta have a reasonable chance of surviving, me I'd just buy a couple of heavy duty padlock shackles and weld them on

Handle...

Handle looks nice, providing the mounting holes are big enough

ianjpage

Quoting: F Body
Well I think they are designed for the food to be cooked on, but I used them for the coals to sit on

Hmm TBH i think that with the heat that 4 - 5 bags of coal generate it would be a bit too much for anything that isn't truly industrial....

Or there's this... which is basically what i've just described already made up... (not cheap tho...) but probably on par with the other plan...

I think your idea is essentially the same, and tbh prob work out cheaper (and although we don't want anything cheap quality cheap cost is important at the mo me thinks!)

Handle...

Reckon 2 of these would take the heat? they're not cast from monkey metal like the old ones were...

They do a middle one too.

Should do nicely, and prob worth getting middle one as extra strength and support....

Jamieg285

I'll stand by my posts from 2nd March 2007.  It wouldn't
be as neat as the stainless options, but would likely be 1/4 of the price.  If done properly, it would still look good.

Titsy

A nicer looking Handle arrangement (again not urgent)

Conrods and some bar...

F Body

Quoting: Titsy
Conrods and some bar...

That would be cool

Roadkill

OK re the charcole grill i thought somethink like either of the below

suggestions....

The bracing lay-out on the second design wouldn't be efficient.

OK but speak now as ryan is/will be ordering hings

I'm fine with that - I was thinking other stuff . . .

Roadkill

Reckon 2 of these would take the heat?

Should do - although I'd suggest some sort of thin sandwich plate between it and the outside of the BBQ tank . . . not sure on material of said plate, though.

Quoting: Titsy
Conrods and some bar...

Would be quite difficult to achieve, I reckon.